Bury.... Whatever next?

The original incarnation of Bury FC, which I thought had gone down the pan, has today had an application to join the non league pyramid rejected by the FA. Unsurprisingly the reasons stated were.... 'based on factors including resources, ownership and insolvency status'. Talk about cloud cuckoo land. Apparently they have been told they are welcome to reapply next year. I gather that entry at tier seven or below is not acceptable to owner Steve Dale. A phoenix club Bury AFC (or AFC Bury?) has been admitted at, I think, tier 10, NW Counties Division One North. I imagine if they can make a reasonable fist of it, and Dale's Bury is still stuck on the rocks, the old club will finally disappear.

Re: Bury.... Whatever next?

Bury AFC have been billed as a Phoenix club who will play in white shirts and blue shorts.They will be known as The Shakers.There were said to be 750 applicants for the managers job.This may be the only Bury,the fans will either get behind this team or,wait for the chairman to resurrect the old club.Not unlike the new AFC or Jerry Sherman’s old County.

Percy plunkett wrote:Bury AFC have been billed as a Phoenix club who will play in white shirts and blue shorts.They will be known as The Shakers.There were said to be 750 applicants for the managers job.This may be the only Bury,the fans will either get behind this team or,wait for the chairman to resurrect the old club.Not unlike the new AFC or Jerry Sherman’s old County.

Was Flynn the bookmakers favourite ???

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Assuming one of the two ends up with Gigg Lane, I'd think that team/club will be at National League level within six seasons.
Afternoon Brendan,

If you are correct and Bury AFC end up at Gigg Lane, you are going to have a very embittered ex Chairman/owner. I think he has paid off a lot of their debts and paid legal fees. I don’t know all the details but I do know he has put money in. I expect that he will want his money back and I can’t blame him. Sugar daddies eh?

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Assuming one of the two ends up with Gigg Lane, I'd think that team/club will be at National League level within six seasons.
Afternoon Brendan,

If you are correct and Bury AFC end up at Gigg Lane, you are going to have a very embittered ex Chairman/owner. I think he has paid off a lot of their debts and paid legal fees. I don’t know all the details but I do know he has put money in. I expect that he will want his money back and I can’t blame him. Sugar daddies eh?
Hi Mike,

I have never understood wanting their money back. You put money into a football club for one of two reasons. Either you love the club or you are investing to make money. Either way if things don't work out, tough. Dear God if I could get my money back every time I shelled out to watch County get stuffed over the last 50 odd years I'd be a rich man.

I don't know if you recall but a lot of rich people used to become 'names' with Lloyd's Insurance. Year in year out they took their massive profits. But, as was inevitable, there came a year, (it may have been 2001) when they had to pay out. And boy did they squeal.

I had no sympathy for them.

I thought Bury's demise came about after he bought the club for £1. Effectively that means he took over the debts. Then it dawned on him that he didn't know the half of it, and none of the debts were paid off when required. The hole got bigger, central to this was financing a promotion team which finished the season without being paid. Steve Dale fell in the hole, whilst it slowly dawned on the fans what was happening. He wasn't the knight in shining armour they thought he was. Jerry Sherman mark two sounds about right.

JonD wrote:That sounds a reasonable summation.

I think Dale is a bit of a - oh, why leave it to the swear filter - bsatdar. I hope this venture into football club ownership not only ruins him but also makes his dick drop off.
You know you once, quite rightly, admonished me for my use of hyperbole. I'm shocked Jon, I really am. :shock: