Did Len Hill Play?

I had a dream last night. I was walking away from Somerton Park. A man walking in the opposite direction asked me "How did they get on?" I said we lost. Before I could say anything else he said "Did Len Hill play?" Then suddenly a gospel choir appeared from nowhere and kept singing over and over again "Did Len Hill play?" Each time they sang it they made the last note last longer than the time before "Did Len Hill plaaaayyyyy?" After a while a piano appeared and someone like Elton John started banging on it in between each refrain of the choir singing "Did Len Hill play?" It was a bit like the ending to Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.

Then I woke up. I wonder what it all means?

Re: Did Len Hill Play?

Maybe Len Hill's name was in my dream because he played for the County and Swansea, who of course have just been drawn together in the Carabao cup, and I was watching Glamorgan on livestream yesterday against Gloucestershire. However what I didn't know, until I saw it today on Wikipedia, was that Len Hill made his highest score for Glamorgan against Gloucestershire. Very strange.

neilcork68 wrote:Can you ever imagine a modern day player playing top level cricket and football in today's world ? I cant ever imagine another Dennis Compton
I think Phil Neale was the last to play both at a decent level

On TMS last week it was said he's the only man to have played football and cricket the same day all day at Worcestershire and played for Lincoln that night :shock:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Can you ever imagine a modern day player playing top level cricket and football in today's world ? I cant ever imagine another Dennis Compton

On TMS last week it was said he's the only man to have played football and cricket the same day all day at Worcestershire and played for Lincoln that night :shock:
Ian Botham played 11 league matches for Scunthorpe United.

Blackandamber wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

It was the old quiz question back in the day, which three future English captains had played for Scunthorpe?

Blackandamber wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

I know but as I said i think PN was the last

Gary Lineker had to choose between football and cricket. It's not uncommon for "ball" players to be accomplished at many sports but excel at one. Perhaps it's just that they practice the one sport greater than others.

Rugby and cricket used to a common combination. There are many who managed to combine both to international level back in the day...

wattsville_boy wrote:Gary Lineker had to choose between football and cricket. It's not uncommon for "ball" players to be accomplished at many sports but excel at one. Perhaps it's just that they practice the one sport greater than others.

Rugby and cricket used to a common combination. There are many who managed to combine both to international level back in the day...
That's absolutely right. You can train any reasonably coordinated person to be competent at ball games but to be truly exceptional your coordination needs to also be exceptional.

Geoff Hurst played cricket for Essex and football for some other team.

David Bairstow played cricket for Yorkshire and football for Bradford AFC.

Phil Neale played football for Scunthorpe at the same time as Ian Botham.

Edit. Forgot to add. In the 60’s we had another player at the County who played both. Graham Reynolds for us and cricket for Glamorgan. Definitely the seconds - is that first class?