Re: Did Len Hill Play?

pembsexile wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Can you ever imagine a modern day player playing top level cricket and football in today's world ? I cant ever imagine another Dennis Compton
Geoff Hurst played cricket for Essex and football for some other team.

David Bairstow played cricket for Yorkshire and football for Bradford AFC.

Phil Neale played football for Scunthorpe at the same time as Ian Botham.

Edit. Forgot to add. In the 60’s we had another player at the County who played both. Graham Reynolds for us and cricket for Glamorgan. Definitely the seconds - is that first class?
You beat me to it Pembs with Geoff Hurst.
Graham did play for Glamorgan 1sts.
Harold Jarman played for County and Gloucestershire.
There were loads in the 60's.

neilcork68 wrote:As I posted , we are seeing examples from the early to mid eighties as the last time a player played top level two sports at the same time...Where are the modern day sportsman doing so ?? Is it the money they earn stopping them doing so nowadays ????
My guess is a more stringent attitude to insurance must play a part.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:As I posted , we are seeing examples from the early to mid eighties as the last time a player played top level two sports at the same time...Where are the modern day sportsman doing so ?? Is it the money they earn stopping them doing so nowadays ????

Contractually, a player would only be able to participate professionally in another sport with the prior written consent of the club these days.

For the last dual first class or professional sportsmen, look a bit closer to home. Newport's own Matthew Robinson played first class cricket for Warwickshire and gave up to play rugby, ended up playing for Wales.
Steffan Jones played first class rugby for Llanelli/Scarlets and gave up to play cricket for Somerset.
Both were playing both sports professionally at the same time.
Liam Botham was with Cardiff Blues and Hampshire and ended up playing rugby league (for Wales)!!
I'm sure I know of a few others but these were off the top of my head. There's a few in Australia recently that play Aussies Rules and cricket and have had to chose what to give up one of the sports to go professional.
Me personally - played cricket for Wales (amateur), rugby for Texas Collegians (amateur), Aussie Rules for Wales (very amateur) and American Football for Great Britain students (also very amateur) but i would never consider myself a multi-sportsman of any perceivable note! I was also Gwent U/11 backstroke champion......

Amberexile wrote:

Contractually, a player would only be able to participate professionally in another sport with the prior written consent of the club these days.

Only if their contract stipulated this...

If they excelled in two sports ( say football and cricket as an example) they could say so and only sign a contract if it allowed them to play both sports if they wished to do. I know if it were me and I wanted to do it I would say so or not sign. If your good enough the club would take the deal

bignbeefy wrote:For the last dual first class or professional sportsmen, look a bit closer to home. Newport's own Matthew Robinson played first class cricket for Warwickshire and gave up to play rugby, ended up playing for Wales.
Steffan Jones played first class rugby for Llanelli/Scarlets and gave up to play cricket for Somerset.
Both were playing both sports professionally at the same time.
Liam Botham was with Cardiff Blues and Hampshire and ended up playing rugby league (for Wales)!!
I'm sure I know of a few others but these were off the top of my head. There's a few in Australia recently that play Aussies Rules and cricket and have had to chose what to give up one of the sports to go professional.
Me personally - played cricket for Wales (amateur), rugby for Texas Collegians (amateur), Aussie Rules for Wales (very amateur) and American Football for Great Britain students (also very amateur) but i would never consider myself a multi-sportsman of any perceivable note! I was also Gwent U/11 backstroke champion......
The question is playing same time as I said I think Phil neale was last to play cricket and football at same time he actually played same day first class cricket and pro football

neilcork68 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:

Only if their contract stipulated this...

If they excelled in two sports ( say football and cricket as an example) they could say so and only sign a contract if it allowed them to play both sports if they wished to do. I know if it were me and I wanted to do it I would say so or not sign. If your good enough the club would take the deal
It is stipulated in the pro forma contract so would need to be negotiated out.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Jimmy Cumbes had a substantial career as a keeper and fast bowler, and Jim Standen who was in goal when West Ham won the FA Cup played for Worcs. Plus there was a Carlisle player who played for Leicestershire.

Edit: Chris Balderstone.
Chris Balderstone was higher standard than that earlier in his career as a regular at Huddersfield Division 1.
Great memories as a youngster outside Hotel in Queens Street Cardiff getting Autos.
The great Ray Wilson, Mike O Grady also an English International and Chris Balderstone.
I believe Ray was a 1 club man happy to be corrected though.
Will get the books out later and have a look who was there that day.
Marvellous memories.

jonescmj1 wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Can you ever imagine a modern day player playing top level cricket and football in today's world ? I cant ever imagine another Dennis Compton
A fourth divison soccer player palyed for England at cricket, who was it?
Chris Balderstone
Sadly left us 20 years ago at no age.