20/21 Squad

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

Ado

Re: 20/21 Squad

Postby Ado » September 8th, 2020, 11:18 am

We've done very well to recruit this many in the circumstances but as others have said, we're light in central midfield as per last season - and as we know, Labs is unfortunately made of glass. If we can get one or two CM's on, that'd be great.
no avatar
User

Amberarmy

Postby Amberarmy » September 8th, 2020, 12:12 pm

neilcork68 wrote:I heard he has agreed to terminate/ has terminated his contract with the club so he can concentrate on coaching kids at KIXX Bromley and playing part time with a team local to the area he lives/ was brought up in ???

I have heard the same too. He launched the academy with JJ Hooper (currently at Wrexham) and Jude Imo-Itah just before lock down.

I think it's a good move for him if he wants to be a coach in the future. Wish him all the best.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Postby faerun exile » September 8th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Updated 08/09/20.

GK: (2)
Tom King
Nick Townsend

DF: (8)
Mickey Demetriou
Kyle Howkins
David Longe-King
Ryan Haynes
Ashley Baker
Liam Shephard
Joe Woodiwiss
Brandon Cooper (in on loan - Swansea)
Daniel Leadbitter (out on loan - Yeovil)

MF: (6)
Joss Labadie
Josh Sheehan
Matt Dolan
Lewis Collins
Robbie Willmott
Scot Bennett

FW: (7)
Padraig Amond
Ryan Taylor
Tristan Abrahams
Adebayo Azeez
Kevin Ellison
Saikou Janneh (in on loan - Bristol City)
Scott Twine (in on loan - Swindon)
Corey Whitely (out on loan - Boreham Wood)
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » September 8th, 2020, 4:29 pm

I hope the Whitely and Leadbitter loans have a no call-back clause if they get injured. We don't want any return to the club taking us over our max squad number. Currently OK I think. But might be an issue if we run with a squad of 22 plus U21s.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » September 8th, 2020, 5:28 pm

We currently have Abrahams 21, Twine 21, Janneh 20, Collins 19, Woodiwis 17 in the squad
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » September 8th, 2020, 5:31 pm

NearlyDead wrote:I hope the Whitely and Leadbitter loans have a no call-back clause if they get injured. We don't want any return to the club taking us over our max squad number. Currently OK I think. But might be an issue if we run with a squad of 22 plus U21s.

Will it make a difference though if they haven't/won't have a first team squad number?
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » September 9th, 2020, 7:26 am

I imagine that already being 21 at season start makes Abrahams and Twine part of the numbers making up the squad.
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » September 9th, 2020, 7:28 am

Exile 1976 wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:I hope the Whitely and Leadbitter loans have a no call-back clause if they get injured. We don't want any return to the club taking us over our max squad number. Currently OK I think. But might be an issue if we run with a squad of 22 plus U21s.

Will it make a difference though if they haven't/won't have a first team squad number?

I see what you mean, but I don't know the answer on that. They are/would still be contracted to the club...

Would help if the actual squad rules were available somewhere.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 9th, 2020, 7:50 am

They are bound to be available on the EFL website, but it will be a dig.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » September 9th, 2020, 8:48 am

We definitely need an experienced central midfielder......IMO as we are very light in that area

Labadie will probably miss 10 games next season through injury / suspensions
Dolan will be used more in central defence than midfield
Bennett is ok in midfield but still a centre half IMO
Collins and Willmott are wingers ONLY. , How MF see's him( Willmott) as a central midfielder is anyone's guess
Sheehan is one of our two proper midfielders at the club
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » September 9th, 2020, 10:49 am

Found this at the Stoke Sentinel:

In League One and League Two that squad size is reduced to 22.

This rule excludes players who were aged under 21 on January 1, 2020.

There was also some reference to home-grown players, which I don't quite understand the implications of for us (if there are any).
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » September 9th, 2020, 11:34 am

NearlyDead wrote:Found this at the Stoke Sentinel:

In League One and League Two that squad size is reduced to 22.

This rule excludes players who were aged under 21 on January 1, 2020.

There was also some reference to home-grown players, which I don't quite understand the implications of for us (if there are any).

To be homegrown a player must have been with an "English" club for at least three years before the age of twenty-one. That is any "English" club.
no avatar
User

Amberarmy

Postby Amberarmy » September 9th, 2020, 12:00 pm

neilcork68 wrote:We definitely need an experienced central midfielder......IMO as we are very light in that area

Labadie will probably miss 10 games next season through injury / suspensions
Dolan will be used more in central defence than midfield
Bennett is ok in midfield but still a centre half IMO
Collins and Willmott are wingers ONLY. , How MF see's him( Willmott) as a central midfielder is anyone's guess
Sheehan is one of our two proper midfielders at the club

I think the exact same as you Neil.

We only have three central midfielders within our current squad (Labadie, Dolan, Sheehan). This is the area in which we have shown weaknesses recently too. Last season our midfield wasn't good enough.

We need someone in the middle who is very physical, someone who doesn't stop running...someone like Labadie. The problem is finding a player with these attributes who isn't too expensive for our wage bill.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » September 9th, 2020, 12:33 pm

According to 'transfer markt' Ryan Innes is without a club ???

as is Reece Cole who did ok for us
no avatar
User

Amberarmy

Postby Amberarmy » September 9th, 2020, 12:49 pm

neilcork68 wrote:According to 'transfer markt' Ryan Innes is without a club ???

as is Reece Cole who did ok for us

I would stay away from Inniss. He was a liability and couldn't use his feet. We don't need another centre back either.

Cole was good for us, scored the winner away to Coventry - brilliant away day. He played in the Scottish Championship last season with Partick Thistle...would be a great signing. Picked up several assists and a couple goals last season so not so much a goalscorer but more a playmaker.
PreviousNext