Information on an Ex-Player (1978-1981)

Hi guys

This may be a bit of a odd request so apologies in advance! Im after some information on a player who played for Newport County between 1978-1981 called “Steve Warriner” who played as a Right Back & Midfielder.

I am the nephew of Steven and have always had a bit of an interest in the years when he was a footballer. He doesnt really speak much on it but when he has he speaks highly of the club and of the time he spent alongside club favourite John Aldridge. Ive also heard down the years that a scout from Liverpool labelled him as “one of the best talents he’d seen in years”. I do know he was plagued by serious knee injuries, that even up till this day he suffers quite seriously with.

If anyone has any memories of seeing him play for the club i would be thankful for any input you can give as would be interesting for me as family to see what he was like on the pitch and for the club

Thanks in advance.

Re: Information on an Ex-Player (1978-1981)

I saw him play a number of times but I was just a kid in 1978/9 so unfortunately I remember next to nothing.

He had an impressive mullet if I'm not mistaken.

Hopefully someone else will be along to colour in some blanks.

Edit: I must say, if I'd played professionally I'd be the consummate bore, telling anyone within earshot about my past. I applaud Steve for keeping it real.

One of the best players to play for us during his time
I was absolutely gutted when we got rid of him...He would be in my all time 11 best players for us alongside Carter , Vaughan , Lowndes in midfield.
I tried to see why he didn't play many games after he left us for Tranmere ???? I didn't realise his knee was so bad . I did hear he was a Car Salesman for years after retiring , is that true ??

neilcork68 wrote:One of the best players to play for us during his time
I was absolutely gutted when we got rid of him...He would be in my all time 11 best players for us alongside Carter , Vaughan , Lowndes in midfield.
I tried to see why he didn't play many games after he left us for Tranmere ???? I didn't realise his knee was so bad . I did hear he was a Car Salesman for years after retiring , is that true ??

Thats really nice to hear thanks for that! To the best of my understanding it was plain and simple down to injuries that led to him not playing much longer after leaving Newport.
It is true he was a Car Salesman for a period afterwards yes, proceeded to own a Pub in Liverpool for a number of years as well. His current profession is working with people with Mental Disorders.

Special branch wrote:-
I was at Exeter for a Boxing Day or New Year game and we were hit by injuries at the back. Steve Warriner stepped in as one of the two centre backs. I thought we were up against it as Steve is not tall but he was superb. I really rated him .
Would that have been the 27 Dec 1980 when we drew 2-2? Keith Oakes was out, presumably injured, and Steve played at no 5. Our goals were from Dave Gwyther and a Tommy Tynan penalty. The only other Christmas bank holiday fixture against Exeter was on New Year's day 1983, after Steve had left County, (I was at that match) and we won 1-0 with a very late winner from Karl Elsey.

Keith Oakes missed both the Swindon home game on Boxing Day and the Exeter match because of a broken nose. The match reports of the time say that the first Exeter goal was down to a poor back pass from Steve and the second was a penalty given away by John Relish.

Exeter's manager at the time was Brian Godfrey who was not happy that Tommy's penalty was awarded just 10 SECONDS into the game for a foul on - you've guessed it - Kevin Moore!

oraclenp wrote:Keith Oakes missed both the Swindon home game on Boxing Day and the Exeter match because of a broken nose. The match reports of the time say that the first Exeter goal was down to a poor back pass from Steve and the second was a penalty given away by John Relish.

Exeter's manager at the time was Brian Godfrey who was not happy that Tommy's penalty was awarded just 10 SECONDS into the game for a foul on - you've guessed it - Kevin Moore!
I was at that game and Kevin Moore did appear to make up "several yards" in the air in order to land inside the box for that penalty.