Re: GRANDSTAND: Exiles v Cheltenham

County Exile wrote:Useful run out for the youngsters but little else. Cooper looked like he could be a decent addition.
Based on the 2 matches I have watched I would put Townsend in goal for the first league match (King fumbled the ball a couple of times, whereas Townsend looked solid on Saturday) and Shephard in preference to Baker at right back.
Would agree with that. Disappointing result due to missing at least 3 good chances. For a 17 yr old thought Woodiwiss showed excellent composure and an ability to accurately make a forward pass with either foot. Unfortunately he did appear to lose his man for Cheltenham's goal. Surely he is too small for a CB though. Surprised to read that Cooper has played games at left back as on tonights showing he is totally right footed. Janneh showed promise with his dribbling ability and screening of the ball. Personally would start him Sat with Collins on the bench. Not that he has done much wrong, but having played another 90 mins tonight i feel we shouldn't over play him at this point in his career. Thought the 15 yr old (Sonny Lewis) didn't look completely out of his depth, although the game did seem to pass him by at times and unsurprisingly got knocked off the ball on occasions. Obviously rated highly to be given a chance of senior football at such an age.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on September 8th, 2020, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

County Exile wrote:Useful run out for the youngsters but little else. Cooper looked like he could be a decent addition.
Based on the 2 matches I have watched I would put Townsend in goal for the first league match (King fumbled the ball a couple of times, whereas Townsend looked solid on Saturday) and Shephard in preference to Baker at right back.
I agree with you . I also think Taylor looks stronger than Matt playing with his back to goal which hopefully could help utilise our wingers better.

I agree. Townsend and Shepard for me too. I thought Baker was disappointing and King rusty making one or two howlers including dropping the ball once. Also the front three of Amond, Taylor and the Bristol boy Jennah (?) not as good as I expected. Though of the three I thought that Taylor had a decent game and was the best of the bunch. Yes Cooper looked OK although I thought he overdid the cross field pass and could have played the ball forward more. The surprise package was 15 year old Lewis in mid field. A mature performance and one to watch I think. Said to be the youngest ever player to appear for County in s senior match. How old was Mark Aizlewood when he first played? I know he was still in school.

Best team won.

Cooper looked the part,Flynny could be tempted to play him Saturday if we play a back 3.Janneh had a good first half with some good turns but faded second half and was probably playing too deep for his likening.Lewis at 15,started quietly but grew into the game,some good crosses and was not out of place.Ironically,the minute we took him off to strengthen with Shephard,they scored.Woodiwiss looked good with some neat passes and interceptions but lack of height means he would not be suited to a back four although sweeping in a three would be right up his street.Hillier got a run late on plus another debutant in Twamley who replaced Haynes,released by Cardiff and a cousin of Poole apparently.He is 16,the same age as Regan when they let him go,let’s hope it’s another mistake by them.

I enjoy these games, no points to worry about but not structureless like a friendly.

We looked fine apart from the finishing, which was woeful from several players. Young Lewis was lost for a few minutes, then picked up the game and did well. Woodiwiss my MoTM despite their goal, great first touch. Collins would have been but faded out. Both he and Joe look much stronger than last season. Cooper pinged some great balls out to Haynes on the wing, they seemed very much on the same wavelength.

I would agree with that Cooper pick of youngsters, Collins looked bright and think he has started the season well.
Woodiwiss may have promise, very prominent but mainly passing the ball across the back three - did it well with composure and looks like he is comfortable with both feet, but what is he like under pressure - at fault for the goal but probably inexperience against a very experienced and clever forward - needs to learn from it.