Grandstand: Exiles v Cambridge

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Cambridge

Postby Marky » September 16th, 2020, 8:40 am

Snowman wrote:So into round 3 for the first time since 1962

Is it worth it though?

We wont make much money without crowds, in fact it will probably cost us money to host the games

More chance of picking up injuries

Normally I would be pleased but I cant help feeling that this is a competition not worth being in this year

I did think that but by the same token we don't make more money finishing 11th than 16th.
no avatar
User

Jonesy3

Postby Jonesy3 » September 16th, 2020, 8:54 am

Aside from pitchside advertising etc, the only real way of making money out of the League Cup is TV coverage.
Prize money in the League Cup doesn't start until the semi-finals.
Still don't really understand why the Swansea game wasn't selected for TV - but perhaps a Welsh derby doesn't mean much to the rest of the country?
I think there are four 3rd round matches on the box so fingers crossed us v Watford might be seen as a potential 'giant' killing.
Lincoln v Liverpool & Luton v Man Ure are probably odds-on for TV, with the other two slots up for grabs.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » September 16th, 2020, 9:05 am

When Sky Sports news was summarising last night's results it was all geared to who'd be playing the very big clubs in R3.
User

Countymax

Postby Countymax » September 16th, 2020, 9:06 am

pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:
pembsexile wrote:What was Robbie doing there. What an awful pass across goal.

I'm not his biggest fan but other than that glaring error (which he got away with) he was okay.

Decent enough performance all round without too much shine to it. Looked like a pre-season friendly at times.

But thought the strikers did okay. Twine and Janneh look promising, Abrahams gives lots of hustle and bustle but needs to add that final finish. And Taylor is an old head to see games out.

Pleased that he put in an OK performance (Only saw the highlight), but that pass was a schoolboy error.

I just think he brings zero to the table unfortunately. Useful to have in the squad in case of injury I suppose but I can't remember the time he did anything of note.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » September 16th, 2020, 9:24 am

Countymax wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

I'm not his biggest fan but other than that glaring error (which he got away with) he was okay.

Decent enough performance all round without too much shine to it. Looked like a pre-season friendly at times.

But thought the strikers did okay. Twine and Janneh look promising, Abrahams gives lots of hustle and bustle but needs to add that final finish. And Taylor is an old head to see games out.

Pleased that he put in an OK performance (Only saw the highlight), but that pass was a schoolboy error.

I just think he brings zero to the table unfortunately. Useful to have in the squad in case of injury I suppose but I can't remember the time he did anything of note.

Sorry but nearly fell of my chair with your last sentence.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Postby Justanordinaryfan » September 16th, 2020, 9:43 am

Jonesy3 wrote:Aside from pitchside advertising etc, the only real way of making money out of the League Cup is TV coverage.
Prize money in the League Cup doesn't start until the semi-finals.
Still don't really understand why the Swansea game wasn't selected for TV - but perhaps a Welsh derby doesn't mean much to the rest of the country?
I think there are four 3rd round matches on the box so fingers crossed us v Watford might be seen as a potential 'giant' killing.
Lincoln v Liverpool & Luton v Man Ure are probably odds-on for TV, with the other two slots up for grabs.

Think Morecambe v Newcastle is a nice one too.

We’ve had our fair tv share of late (some would argue more than) ...... I for one wouldn’t blame the tv companies if the felt the same !

.... not sure if BBC or S4C can get the rights to Carabao cup games .... prob wrong with that one.
no avatar
User

DeePeeNCAFC

Postby DeePeeNCAFC » September 16th, 2020, 9:54 am

[ I did think that but by the same token we don't make more money finishing 11th than 16th.[/quote]

I thought the FA / EFL paid clubs differently based on where they finished in the league table. That's certainly the case in the PL anyway, but I may be wrong about the lower leagues.
no avatar
User

Amberarmy

Postby Amberarmy » September 16th, 2020, 9:56 am

Countymax wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

How about that goal vs Middlesbrough?? Or that cross to Podge for the goal vs Spurs?? Robbie doesn't get the credit he deserves at times. He is brilliant as a right winger/midfielder, even a wing back. The hate he gets is ridiculous.

Robbie is a cracking player. He just needs to be played in his natural position (out wide).
no avatar
User

County ranger

Postby County ranger » September 16th, 2020, 10:57 am

Amberarmy wrote:
Countymax wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

How about that goal vs Middlesbrough?? Or that cross to Podge for the goal vs Spurs?? Robbie doesn't get the credit he deserves at times. He is brilliant as a right winger/midfielder, even a wing back. The hate he gets is ridiculous.

Robbie is a cracking player. He just needs to be played in his natural position (out wide).

Willmott is a decent player who I expect will be a squad player this year. Like many decent L2 players has moments of great play but is not consistent and his problem is the few that call him brilliant, cracking etc. He is not, he is not a consistent game changer, does at times but a useful member of the squad. Out wide I agree is his best position and he can deliver a great cross at times but does not beat a man with any regularity no - note Shephard last night and the Middlesborough goal was sadly a one off - if he did things like that more often or even looked like doing things like that then you get into the more enthusiastic adjectives.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » September 16th, 2020, 11:45 am

County ranger wrote:
Amberarmy wrote:
Countymax wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

Willmott is a decent player who I expect will be a squad player this year. Like many decent L2 players has moments of great play but is not consistent and his problem is the few that call him brilliant, cracking etc. He is not, he is not a consistent game changer, does at times but a useful member of the squad. Out wide I agree is his best position and he can deliver a great cross at times but does not beat a man with any regularity no - note Shephard last night and the Middlesborough goal was sadly a one off - if he did things like that more often or even looked like doing things like that then you get into the more enthusiastic adjectives.

"Middlesborough goal sadly was a one off"

Total rubbish.
Without writing a Chapter on War and Peace. :lol:

Away to FGR superb cross for Padraig to score.
Wrexham in the cup owned the pitch
4-0 was it.
Out wide nobody been better for us since getting back in the league.
Put him in front of myself out wide. :wink:
no avatar
User

Amberarmy

Postby Amberarmy » September 16th, 2020, 11:58 am

County ranger wrote:
Amberarmy wrote:
Countymax wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

When given the chance to play in his best position (which isn't often) he is one of our stand out players on a regular basis. He can deliver a good cross, and he is quick.

The reason a lot of fans believe he isn't consistently good enough is because he isn't played out wide enough!

I agree with Frank too - Robbie is easily the best player we have had out wide since we came back into the FL.

He simply does not get the credit he deserves.
Last edited by Amberarmy on September 16th, 2020, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » September 16th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Strange that you mention the few good things he has done in games but that pass last night could have cost us the Watford game..
No mention of that ???

How MF see's him as a central midfielder is beyond my reasoning ???
no avatar
User

Amberarmy

Postby Amberarmy » September 16th, 2020, 12:05 pm

neilcork68 wrote:Strange that you mention the few good things he has done in games but that pass last night could have cost us the Watford game..
No mention of that ???

How MF see's him as a central midfielder is beyond my reasoning ???

"The few good things he has done" :lol:
He has done a lot more for us on a consistent basis than most other players we have brought in, in recent years.

He is not a central midfielder though. That is the only part of what you've written which is correct.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » September 16th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
amberbhoy wrote:Mr Bryant we still don't know if we are skint or not you still haven't told us what the situation is,.

The June 2019 accounts have still not been filed, no doubt fines are also now being imposed.

The club were granted an extension, the accounts are now due by 30th September. Those will be the accounts to June 2019 of course so over 12 months out of date when we get to see them.

AGMs are due to be organised for October according to the notes from the June Trust Board Meeting.
no avatar
User

County ranger

Postby County ranger » September 16th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
County ranger wrote:
Amberarmy wrote:
Countymax wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

"Middlesborough goal sadly was a one off"

Total rubbish.
Without writing a Chapter on War and Peace. :lol:

Away to FGR superb cross for Padraig to score.
Wrexham in the cup owned the pitch
4-0 was it.
Out wide nobody been better for us since getting back in the league.
Put him in front of myself out wide. :wink:

Frank back it up with fact, read what you have said Middlesborough was a one off - you compare it to a cross you are laughable like the kids you love so much no fact to back it up. Nobody better out wide really - Jackson, Pipe, Butler, Haynes all beat a man as well as Willmott - deluded as usual. He is a squad player lacks consistency.
Come on Frank highlight another Willmott goal that was a match for his Middlesbrough effort otherwise doesn’t that make it a one off.
PreviousNext