Taking a Knee

I'm firmly of the opinion that all lives matter, irrespective of race, creed or colour.
Football has made its point and I wondered how long taking a knee at the start of games will continue for.
It reminds me of rare occasions in church and repeating the Lord's Prayer simply because I know the words without necessarily thing about what in saying.
Many might disagree but I think it's now become a meaningless piece of symbolism.
Other points of view very welcomed.

Re: Taking a Knee

A very good topic for discussion which will no doubt be moved to everything else sharpish
Agree wholeheartedly
Are footballers,cricketers meant to take a clenched fist as well?
A policeman gets dragged to his death whilst doing his duty... I wonder what his family make of it all.?
Democracy matters and no individual should feel pressured into making any form of statement on the public stage

I'm a bit conflicted on this. National anthems, prematch handshakes, minute's silences/applause, taking knees, clapping for the NHS, in fact pretty much any type of pomp and ceremony usually make my skin crawl.

My skin crawling is not the same as me disagreeing with the sentiments. We just seem to be living in an age where overt demonstrations of feelings/respect for others has become quite prevalent.

A couple of seasons ago at Rodney Parade we seemed to have a spate of minute's silences. There was a spell when we had one every home game. There were times when the announcement was less clear than others, leading to lots of blank faces in the crowd.

I guess these things aren't going away any time soon.

Black lives matter doesn't mean black lives matter more than other lives, it means black lives matter as much as other lives. History shows us that hasn't been - and still isn't - the case.
Just look at the vile abuse suffered by black players on social media.
In my view - and I speak as a white, middle-aged man - the people least qualified to pontificate on this issue are white, middle-aged men who have never, and will never, suffered racism.

Over 50 years now since Tommy Smith & John Carlos did the black Glove protest.
Has anything seriously changed for the better.
Not a lot.
Castigated by their own white Olympic committee.
As a youngster I was so impressed with their sincerity.
Totally powerful images still in my mind to this day.

JonD wrote:
excessbee wrote:It's a gesture that originated in America and personally I think it should have stayed there.
I suppose you're opposed to gender reveal parties as well? Philistine.
Please explain that ridiculous assumption. Would you now expect 'taking a knee' to be a precursor to all football matches for ever and a day?

I seem to remember a few years ago the Home Nations were not permitted in having a poppy on their shirts to celebrate the heroism in the World Wars. I think it was banned by FIFA as political gestures have no place in football.
Is 'bending the knee' not a political gesture- so why has it not also been banned?
Please correct me if my memory has played tricks on me!

I think now is the time we need to see action rather than gestures. It's the same as the 'clap for carers' we had during lockdown. The government jumped on the bandwagon, yet when it came to making real change, they did nothing to improve the situation. At some point it just remains as a gesture and does nothing for change.

The question is now whether the higher-ups in football have finally gotten the message, and if they will really show a zero tolerance approach when the next racist event happens in the sport.