Re: Taking a Knee

excessbee wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:I think it may have been tongue-in-cheek?
OK, taken on board. Reading his post prior to mine, I realise we are probably singing from the same hymn sheet........ not that I am bringing religion into this. :lol:
Aye, I did wonder if omitting a smiley might be a mistake. My bad.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
countymadbel wrote:I got the impression think from watching motd when the season started back up it was only til end of season.To me ALL lives MATTER
They do but Black lives are seen by some as less important
Well, thank you UTP none of us thought of that

Jonesy3 wrote:Black lives matter doesn't mean black lives matter more than other lives, it means black lives matter as much as other lives. History shows us that hasn't been - and still isn't - the case.
Just look at the vile abuse suffered by black players on social media.
In my view - and I speak as a white, middle-aged man - the people least qualified to pontificate on this issue are white, middle-aged men who have never, and will never, suffered racism.
Agree. It's about getting the white, middle aged men to think about the institutional racism in society. And hopefully make a change.

Jonesy3 wrote:Black lives matter doesn't mean black lives matter more than other lives, it means black lives matter as much as other lives. History shows us that hasn't been - and still isn't - the case.
In my view - and I speak as a white, middle-aged man - the people least qualified to pontificate on this issue are white, middle-aged men who have never, and will never, suffered racism.
Hear, hear!

Yup well said. Close family members less white than I get it almost every day of their lives, sometimes overt, sometimes subtle and always wrong.

JonD wrote:
My skin crawling is not the same as me disagreeing with the sentiments.
Agree entirely.

The problem for me with taking a knee, or any 'political' action is at what point do you stop? Do we acknowledge every injustice? And God alone knows what happens when they become contentious. You can just see it can't you?

'Ladies and gentlemen, today at Rodney Parade we welcome our guests of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, given free entrance in order to recognise their brave service in Afghanistan. And could you also all please stand in memory of the unarmed civilians murdered at Amritsar, India by the Crown Forces on this day in 1919.'

History is complicated. Life is complicated and full of injustice and tragedy. My view is let's keep football simple. Let's keep all politics, even those bits I agree with entirely out of football.