Re: Morecambe v Newcastle

I think the cost is about £100-£150 per test.

Until the Orient situation arose I hadn't realised that the EFL no longer required clubs to do regular testing.

While the cost of testing is the major factor in not doing it, which is why Spurs paid for Orient's tests, and so I understand the reason for not doing it regularly, it is so, so much the wrong strategy and is a disaster waiting to happen.

The only way to keep covid-19 numbers down if you are allowing people to mix is to test (often) and to trace and isolate. How many times does it need to be said? The population size (team, company, region, nationwide) doesn't matter; it's the basic principle.

It's possible to reduce the cost of testing by doing pooled tests (it's what they did in Wuhan's 2nd outbreak I think, to cut down the massive number of tests), though I don't know if the UK is set up for doing pooled tests.

I think for a club like us, with say a max staff of about 40 people, you'd have to pool about 6 or 8 people to reliably spot 1 case in the club; so you'd have say 4 or 5 initial pooled tests and then only test individual samples from a pool if that pool shows positive.

So you'd have a one-off (or even maybe weekly) testing cost of £400-£500 if they all come back negative. Still a lot on little to no income for sure, but perhaps that cost could be part met by the EFL/FA.

I'd have said go one player light in your squad and use that budget to (part) fund it internally. This should have been a precondition for restarting pro football.

NearlyDead wrote:I think the cost is about £100-£150 per test.

Until the Orient situation arose I hadn't realised that the EFL no longer required clubs to do regular testing.

While the cost of testing is the major factor in not doing it, which is why Spurs paid for Orient's tests, and so I understand the reason for not doing it regularly, it is so, so much the wrong strategy and is a disaster waiting to happen.

The only way to keep covid-19 numbers down if you are allowing people to mix is to test (often) and to trace and isolate. How many times does it need to be said? The population size (team, company, region, nationwide) doesn't matter; it's the basic principle.

It's possible to reduce the cost of testing by doing pooled tests (it's what they did in Wuhan's 2nd outbreak I think, to cut down the massive number of tests), though I don't know if the UK is set up for doing pooled tests.

I think for a club like us, with say a max staff of about 40 people, you'd have to pool about 6 or 8 people to reliably spot 1 case in the club; so you'd have say 4 or 5 initial pooled tests and then only test individual samples from a pool if that pool shows positive.

So you'd have a one-off (or even maybe weekly) testing cost of £400-£500 if they all come back negative. Still a lot on little to no income for sure, but perhaps that cost could be part met by the EFL/FA.

I'd have said go one player light in your squad and use that budget to (part) fund it internally. This should have been a precondition for restarting pro football.
If we are chosen for TV there's some logic in the club investing in testing once or twice in the week before the game so that we don't suffer like Orient and lose the TV revenue.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Wondering when sky will announce ties
After tonight's games/first thing tomorrow you'd think.
Pick one from the unbolded games to make the fourth TV game

Liverpool v Arsenal
Burnley v Bournemouth (tee hee!)
Brentford v Fulham
Everton v West Ham
Aston Villa v Stoke City
Orient v Tottenham (?? Given Walsall off, unlikely to be ready to play this next week, so can discount this game)
Newport County v Newcastle United
Brighton v Manchester United