Re: EFL Petition

Percy plunkett wrote:I said that 6 weeks ago but,our friend in Ireland gave me stick for it saying I was speaking irresponsibly.Boris says,go to the cinema in an enclosed space,or the restaurant or pub but,you can’t stand in the open air at a football match.
I gave you stick because you were arguing that it was a mistake to wear a mask. Indeed you boasted about not wearing one. Advice which if followed would kill people I gave you stick not because you are a fool but because you are a dangerous fool. Mass gatherings in a pandemic kill people. I agree that gatherings in pubs and cinemas are dangerous but your logic that somehow this equates football matches being safe for people to attend is beyond stupid.

It would be amiss of me to be critical of Percy. who I find boorish and not say the same to Jim and Mike and others who I like. This petition is dangerous and signing it is grossly irresponsible. If the present pandemic follows the course of Spanish flu from 100 years ago, and most outbreaks do, there will be three waves. The first seems bad but the third wave is worse. However it's usually the second wave which kills the vast majority of victims.

Funnily enough I often say that I hope I'm wrong. But when it comes to football it doesn't really matter. I hope I'm wrong now, but I'm worried and in Ireland unlike the UK and US the village idiot isn't running the show.

Just checked,126,000+ have signed the petition so far.As for Trump,he actually talked sense today,he said “Don’t let Covid rule your life”.Obviously,Brendan is going to hide himself away wearing his mask and wait for the Mercury Covid1984 vaccine to arrive.There are 17000 winter flu deaths every year in England yet never has there been a lockdown.

Percy plunkett wrote:Just checked,126,000+ have signed the petition so far.As for Trump,he actually talked sense today,he said “Don’t let Covid rule your life”.Obviously,Brendan is going to hide himself away wearing his mask and wait for the Mercury Covid1984 vaccine to arrive.There are 17000 winter flu deaths every year in England yet never has there been a lockdown.
Okay Percy. Even using your figures. 17,000 winter flu deaths. Thus far 45,000 in the spring and summer.

How many people have to die before You get the message. 100,000? 150,000? 200,000?

Listen to the families who have lost loved ones. Tell them not to let Covid rule their lives.

By the way, I'm working on the front line. I miss going out socially and I miss going to football matches. However whilst I put myself at risk to help others and don't 'hide away', as you rather pathetically put It, I have made a conscious decision not to break the rules when not working.
Oddly I just believe that the lives of people I don't know matter more than me going to a game.

I agree with Stan. I work on the front line (I am a Nurse in ICU Cardiff) and I am telling you that you need to take Covid seriously. We are still learning the lessons from the first wave and the treatment options remain few. We were hoping that the second wave could be delayed until a suitable vaccine could be found and manufactured in sufficient numbers. That hasn't happened. The number of deaths in this second wave are likely to be significantly higher than the first wave. If you have any health concerns and you are above 40 and get the virus then you may not survive it. I have seen people in their 40's die. I have seen colleagues die. As much as I like a pint or a game of football there is no way that I would consider either while the rates of infection remain as high as now (and not reducing significantly). Change your attitude to Covid and start taking it seriously because the consequences on your life and your family could be severe.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:It would be amiss of me to be critical of Percy. who I find boorish and not say the same to Jim and Mike and others who I like. This petition is dangerous and signing it is grossly irresponsible. If the present pandemic follows the course of Spanish flu from 100 years ago, and most outbreaks do, there will be three waves. The first seems bad but the third wave is worse. However it's usually the second wave which kills the vast majority of victims.

Funnily enough I often say that I hope I'm wrong. But when it comes to football it doesn't really matter. I hope I'm wrong now, but I'm worried and in Ireland unlike the UK and US the village idiot isn't running the show.
Brendan. Grossly irresponsible? The petition is asking the government to ‘reconsider their judgement, based with the correct safety measures for COVID in place’. That is hardly irresponsible is it?

Believe me, working where I do, I understand the implications of COVID. See it every day.

As somebody pointed out elsewhere, the numpty tells us it was Ok to go out to pubs, promotes going to the cinema but refuses to discuss fans congregating in an open arena as they do ‘with safety measures in place’, in other countries. That is hardly consistent is it.

If Boris and his cohorts get their way things are going to get much worse with regards to social cohesion, people will start to do their own thing. They really must get a grip.

It is hardly grossly irresponsible when you ask the government to reconsider a decision that seems to be based on flawed judgement is it? I think you need to consider withdrawing that remark and say something else.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:It would be amiss of me to be critical of Percy. who I find boorish and not say the same to Jim and Mike and others who I like. This petition is dangerous and signing it is grossly irresponsible. If the present pandemic follows the course of Spanish flu from 100 years ago, and most outbreaks do, there will be three waves. The first seems bad but the third wave is worse. However it's usually the second wave which kills the vast majority of victims.

Brendan. Grossly irresponsible? The petition is asking the government to ‘reconsider their judgement, based with the correct safety measures for COVID in place’. That is hardly irresponsible is it?

Believe me, working where I do, I understand the implications of COVID. See it every day.

As somebody pointed out elsewhere, the numpty tells us it was Ok to go out to pubs, promotes going to the cinema but refuses to discuss fans congregating in an open arena as they do ‘with safety measures in place’, in other countries. That is hardly consistent is it.

If Boris and his cohorts get their way things are going to get much worse with regards to social cohesion, people will start to do their own thing. They really must get a grip.

It is hardly grossly irresponsible when you ask the government to reconsider a decision that seems to be based on flawed judgement is it? I think you need to consider withdrawing that remark and say something else.
Morning Mike,

The UK is led by a moron. A populist who doesn't care if his bumbling kills thousands. 46,000 British citizens are dead. And if Boris believes that opening up football stadiums will win him popularity open them up he will. So I can't withdraw my view that supportingthis petition is anything other than grossly irresponsible. Opening up pubs and turfing everyone out onto the streets at 10-00 pm likewise. The idea that large numbers of people with drink taken are going to behave responsibly before and after a football match is for the birds.

Just read Percy. His view that 17,000 dead from flu means that 46,000 dead from this virus means that shouldn't be too concerned. How many people people would have died had there been no lockdown? How many people quote Donald Trump to support an argument?.

Sorry Mike but on this issue I think you are wrong. I am as pissed off as everyone else but the fact remains that without a vaccine the likelihood is that this winter is going to be grim. Thousands of people are about to die whatever we do. Saving a few of those lives by not calling on an idiotic government to adopt a crazy measure is something I think important.

I'll be honest and say that if fans had been allowed to attend (in carefully monitored, reduced numbers) from October, I probably would have travelled. Now, I'm not so sure. Would it be sensible to travel from the relatively 'safe' south west to anywhere with a higher rate of contagion. Add to that there would be people doing the same in the opposite direction. The problem is that people's desperation to go to a football match would override their sense of personal risk level. I would undoubtedly be safer staying at home, but would I do so if attendance were allowed?