Gavin on Call Rob Phillips = Taking the knee

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Re: Gavin on Call Rob Phillips = Taking the knee

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » October 18th, 2020, 9:18 am

It really has run its course now.
Truly dreadful racist America, but the tragic point has been made now.
not impressed with Flynny firmly shaking hands with the opposition manager yesterday.
Not a great example and it looks like total lockdown will be back tomorrow.
watching the boys just not going to happen this season
User

Kairdiff Exile

Our proud capital...

Postby Kairdiff Exile » October 18th, 2020, 9:22 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:In what way ill-prepared?

Insofar as he’d not sought to establish what had happened before doing a media interview. Easy to say that in hindsight though, I suppose. As I said above, the key thing is to handle this sensitively from this moment on.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » October 18th, 2020, 9:36 am

So are clubs now expected to enforce it, even though many players have said the initiative has run its course?

Is that how far down the PC road we've got?
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » October 18th, 2020, 9:44 am

whoareya wrote:So are clubs now expected to enforce it, even though many players have said the initiative has run its course?

Is that how far down the PC road we've got?

Very sadly probably and not at the end of the road yet.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » October 18th, 2020, 9:50 am

I don’t think we have done it in away games either.There was a row some weeks ago when QPR didn’t do it.Les Ferdinand said that the knee had taken its course,just like clapping NHS workers,and he supported not doing it anymore.
no avatar
User

Dogger

Sunny Spain

Postby Dogger » October 18th, 2020, 9:50 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:Very much an ambush but Gavin handled it very well. Phillips was scrupulous in not offering an opinion and merely lighting the blue touch paper. I'm not sure Blake is well placed to preach about setting examples.

As far as the absence of banners is concerned, are all the volunteers who help set up the ground even able to travel into Newport?

Brilliant! Nathan ‘fruit machine’ Blake! Seriously, it’s run it’s course & is now meaningless. Just an extension of the pre-match routine of elbow/fist bumping now.
no avatar
User

George Cod

Postby George Cod » October 18th, 2020, 9:54 am

Dogger wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Very much an ambush but Gavin handled it very well. Phillips was scrupulous in not offering an opinion and merely lighting the blue touch paper. I'm not sure Blake is well placed to preach about setting examples.

As far as the absence of banners is concerned, are all the volunteers who help set up the ground even able to travel into Newport?

Brilliant! Nathan ‘fruit machine’ Blake! Seriously, it’s run it’s course & is now meaningless. Just an extension of the pre-match routine of elbow/fist bumping now.

Fruit Machine?
no avatar
User

County Valleyboy

Postby County Valleyboy » October 18th, 2020, 9:59 am

I
"Fruit machine" is referring to Blake's youth, allegedly nicking from fruit machines.
City fans used to sing a song regarding this
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » October 18th, 2020, 10:01 am

No, not fruit machine.
no avatar
User

George Cod

Postby George Cod » October 18th, 2020, 10:13 am

It didn’t happen though, wrongly blamed.
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Taunton

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » October 18th, 2020, 10:16 am

As we approach Remembrance Sunday it is sad to think that freedom of speech and expression has now effectively died in this Country.

I think there are very very few County supporters, or indeed football supporters generally, who are racist. So let’s get back to watching and enjoying football rather than these overtly political statements.
no avatar
User

Goals win Matches

Newport

Postby Goals win Matches » October 18th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Racism has no place in football- but neither do blatantly political gestures such as 'taking the knee'.
User

Kairdiff Exile

Our proud capital...

Postby Kairdiff Exile » October 18th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Personally, I’m very relaxed about the club supporting political gestures (whether it’s taking the knee for BLM or wearing a red poppy for Remembrance Day) even if I don’t always agree with the cause. That seems much more consistent than saying (as some seem to be on here) that the club can support the causes with which they agree but not those with which they disagree.

Perhaps it’s one of those irregular verbs:
- I support an important cause
- You support a campaign
- He supports a political gesture

I’ll always be pleased to see the club backing anti-racism movements. I feel a bit uneasy about the symbolism of taking a knee, but I was very interested by Nathan Blake’s position that it is likely to lead to conversations with children about why players are doing it and what the wider context is. That has to be a good thing.
User

daftasfxxx

Newport

Postby daftasfxxx » October 18th, 2020, 1:40 pm

County Valleyboy wrote:I
"Fruit machine" is referring to Blake's youth, allegedly nicking from fruit machines.
City fans used to sing a song regarding this

Allegedly?
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » October 18th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Ladies and gentlemen.

At 3-00 next Saturday the game will be slightly delayed. There will be the ritual taking of the knee. Whether this will be of any interest to some rednecked racist thug with a gun and a police badge in Mississippi is open to conjecture. However this will then be followed by a short speech, by a speaker from Human Rights Watch who will inform us about the squalid treatment of the Rohingya in Myanmar. Following on from this we shall be hearing from a speaker from the Sioux Nation about the plight of all native Americans. We hope also to be hearing from a representative from Australia's indigenous peoples about the genocide inflicted on the Tasmanian Aborigines.

Once this is over we shall of course be observing a two minute silence for everyone who has ever died of anything ever. Because of time limitations it will be impossible to name them all individually but we did think a random sample of one thousand names would suffice.

Sorry to be blase'. But this hyrachy of death gets on my t!ts. I can contribute to charities, I can have a career in human rights, I will oppose blatant bigotry. But.........

Sometimes at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon I just want to watch a football match.
PreviousNext