Re: 10 games in

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
pembsexile wrote:12 games in now and still top of the league. Brilliant. Well done all.

Ever since I was a nipper I have had a fascination with league tables and County make for great reading at the moment. My only concern is consideration for the teams we have beaten. They are currently in 7th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 19th and 21st.

The two games we have lost were against teams that are currently 3rd and 4th. I will be much happier when we consistently beat teams that are closer to us. However, it is quite difficult to beat teams that are above us at the moment. Long may it continue. Cmon the County :cheers:
Port Vale are now 9th but could have been 5th if they had won. If Port Vale had won last Saturday and Tuesday as well they would have been top.
If my aunty Betty had bollox etc :grin:
Betty Swallocks?

pembsexile wrote:12 games in now and still top of the league. Brilliant. Well done all.

Ever since I was a nipper I have had a fascination with league tables and County make for great reading at the moment. My only concern is consideration for the teams we have beaten. They are currently in 7th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 19th and 21st.

The two games we have lost were against teams that are currently 3rd and 4th. I will be much happier when we consistently beat teams that are closer to us. However, it is quite difficult to beat teams that are above us at the moment. Long may it continue. Cmon the County :cheers:
Don’t really buy the need to beat promotion rivals argument - still get the same 3 points for a win regardless of opposition. Obviously it’s better to take points off rivals but take last season - of the 6 games we played against the teams promoted we won 4 and lost 2, including a Swindon double, so auto promotion form. In recent times it seems that we struggle more v the league strugglers but this season we are addressing the issue.

faerun exile wrote:

Don’t really buy the need to beat promotion rivals argument - still get the same 3 points for a win regardless of opposition. Obviously it’s better to take points off rivals but take last season - of the 6 games we played against the teams promoted we won 4 and lost 2, including a Swindon double, so auto promotion form. In recent times it seems that we struggle more v the league strugglers but this season we are addressing the issue.
I don’t think we should compare it to last season. Or any recent season for that matter.

This is a new team with new tactics. We have new players, we also have players from previous seasons playing in new positions. There has been a playing and tactical transformation in the club and all for the better. Long may it continue.

Edit. I have changed the thread title for obvious reasons.

pembsexile wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

I don’t think we should compare it to last season. Or any recent season for that matter.

This is a new team with new tactics. We have new players, we also have players from previous seasons playing in new positions. There has been a playing and tactical transformation in the club and all for the better. Long may it continue.

I think you miss my general point in that losing against your rivals (promotion or otherwise) can equate to overall success provided you pick up results elsewhere, which we are currently doing. Last season's results against the top teams is an example of this in reverse.
Last edited by faerun exile on November 23rd, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faerun exile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

I think you miss my general point in that losing against your rivals (promotion or otherwise) doesn't always equate to overall success provided you pick up results elsewhere, which we are currently doing. Last season's results against the top teams is an example of this in reverse.
Not quite sure what you mean by losing against rivals not equating to success unless you pick up points elsewhere.

My point is this. If and when we consistently beat teams that are close to us in the league and stay top, then we will have proved that we are the best team in the league as in Liverpool last year and Lincoln in our league a few years ago. The highest we have beaten at the moment is Port Vale who I think are now 7th.

It is obvious that we will lose games, 2 this year so far, but as long as those losing games are not always against teams close to us, that should be OK. If we want to be the best I would like us to beat Cheltenham, FGR, Exeter, Cambridge and Carlisle for a start.