Re: Wales v USA

I thought Josh did really well, full of energy, broke up play a lot and played a couple of nice passes. Guilty of one 'agricultural tackle' as well.

I watched the game on S4C but don't speak Welsh. I did hear the following 3 words in the same sentence though - "Shee---han, Casnewydd and Disco'. Do those words mean what I think they do? Also heard the commentator say the words "Malcolm Allen and caravan" in the same sentence which intrigued me.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I thought Josh did really well, full of energy, broke up play a lot and played a couple of nice passes. Guilty of one 'agricultural tackle' as well.

I watched the game on S4C but don't speak Welsh. I did hear the following 3 words in the same sentence though - "Shee---han, Casnewydd and Disco'. Do those words mean what I think they do? Also heard the commentator say the words "Malcolm Allen and caravan" in the same sentence which intrigued me.
Watched on S4C also and understand enough Welsh, although not all of the commentators 'gogledd tafodiaith' (north dialect), to make out their favourable comparisons of Sheehan to Joe Allan, his ability to make the 'cam nesa' i.e. next step and taking no prisoners in the tackle.
Dysgo --pronounced Disco is a Welsh verb for learning or teaching.
Cara fan ---pronounced caravan could be an idiom for loving it here? Just a guess.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I thought Josh did really well, full of energy, broke up play a lot and played a couple of nice passes. Guilty of one 'agricultural tackle' as well.

Watched on S4C also and understand enough Welsh, although not all of the commentators 'gogledd tafodiaith' (north dialect), to make out their favourable comparisons of Sheehan to Joe Allan, his ability to make the 'cam nesa' i.e. next step and taking no prisoners in the tackle.
Cara fan ---pronounced caravan could be an idiom for loving it here? Just a guess.
Ah, got it thanks. Makes a bit more sense now.

As an Englishman the Welsh language does intrigue me sometimes. Take John Hartson on S4C tonight for instance, he was jibbering away in what was probably perfectly fluent Welsh when in the middle of his sentence he said "head on a stick" followed by lots more Welsh and then "made a penetrating run into the box". Reminds me a bit of the mock language 'Franglais' which combines both English and French.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

Ah, got it thanks. Makes a bit more sense now.

As an Englishman the Welsh language does intrigue me sometimes. Take John Hartson on S4C tonight for instance, he was jibbering away in what was probably perfectly fluent Welsh when in the middle of his sentence he said "head on a stick" followed by lots more Welsh and then "made a penetrating run into the box". Reminds me a bit of the mock language 'Franglais' which combines both English and French.
There is a similar term for English/Welsh as Wenglish.

Ben-NCFC wrote:Probably carfan, which means squad.

That performance last night will definitely have alerted a few.
Diolch am hynny. Not come across carfan as a word before.
Would agree that Sheehan's performance would have enhanced his profile. Maybe even raised his saleability price?