Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

According to the report, we could have fans back at clubs before Christmas but this could depend upon the tier level that the city/town is in. This is ridiculous. You can’t allow say Sunderland or Salford to play games with fans in attendance but not Gillingham or Plymouth all because of their location.

For me, it has to be all, or nothing. If the Premier league and the efl allow this half baked plan to go ahead with tier restrictions, cue the court cases against the football authorities. Money and the lawyers will win again. The punters will lose out.

With correct and stringent distancing and cleaning protocols in place, I am for attendance resuming when the authorities say so. If that is before Christmas, so be it. However, as always, it will be a political decision, and therein lies the problem. Boris’ nightmare because he has given cautious approval for it. Boris, you are just wrong, plain wrong.

pembsexile wrote:According to the report, we could have fans back at clubs before Christmas but this could depend upon the tier level that the city/town is in. This is ridiculous. You can’t allow say Sunderland or Salford to play games with fans in attendance but not Gillingham or Plymouth all because of their location.

For me, it has to be all, or nothing. If the Premier league and the efl allow this half baked plan to go ahead with tier restrictions, cue the court cases against the football authorities. Money and the lawyers will win again. The punters will lose out.

With correct and stringent distancing and cleaning protocols in place, I am for attendance resuming when the authorities say so. If that is before Christmas, so be it. However, as always, it will be a political decision, and therein lies the problem. Boris’ nightmare because he has given cautious approval for it. Boris, you are just wrong, plain wrong.
Evening Mike,

I know we disagree on this. (Note to some: Great minds don't think alike and reasoned discussion is good.) However my view remains that we should have simply aborted season 20/21. However I agree totally that it is a political decision, I agree that a balance needs to be struck. But where I am in absolute agreement is that in a time of crisis, and probably the biggest storm of difficulties that the UK has faced in my lifetime, Britain could not have chosen a worse leader than Boris Johnson. Like Trump that catastrophic combination of arrogant entitlement mixed with a total lack of competence.

It's not often I agree with Stan's every word but here I do.

This season will have been successful if the clubs/players muddle through and complete it. Fans (us) start getting vaccinated after Xmas ready to watch the play-offs. I do feel that the risk of getting infected in a crowd of 2000 at Rodney Parade is far, far less than the risk of getting infected at home (with kids around), the supermarket (with idiots swarming around certain aisles in packs looking for bargains) or even the pub (despite all best efforts of publicans some still forget the rules).

Like Stan, I do fear for the long-term future of the UK with Doris at the helm. I wouldn't trust the idiot with my dog let alone our health, prospects and future. The time will come for a proper public review of how HMG has handled the pendemic and, hopefully, BoJo won't be trusted with a paper round when the results are announced.

Without getting too political, I feel there are several Tory MPs that would've done the task far better (including one here in S.Wales), and Starmer would've probably surpassed them. It's a shame the next election is 3 years away, as it will (yet again) be seen as Labour spending big to get the UK back on track owing to all the debts the Tories will have racked up. It always seems to be Labour saving the day and getting flak for it.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's not often I agree with Stan's every word but here I do.

This season will have been successful if the clubs/players muddle through and complete it. Fans (us) start getting vaccinated after Xmas ready to watch the play-offs. I do feel that the risk of getting infected in a crowd of 2000 at Rodney Parade is far, far less than the risk of getting infected at home (with kids around), the supermarket (with idiots swarming around certain aisles in packs looking for bargains) or even the pub (despite all best efforts of publicans some still forget the rules).

Like Stan, I do fear for the long-term future of the UK with Doris at the helm. I wouldn't trust the idiot with my dog let alone our health, prospects and future. The time will come for a proper public review of how HMG has handled the pendemic and, hopefully, BoJo won't be trusted with a paper round when the results are announced.

Without getting too political, I feel there are several Tory MPs that would've done the task far better (including one here in S.Wales), and Starmer would've probably surpassed them. It's a shame the next election is 3 years away, as it will (yet again) be seen as Labour spending big to get the UK back on track owing to all the debts the Tories will have racked up. It always seems to be Labour saving the day and getting flak for it.
I'm not disagreeing with this, especially the parts related to our inept, out of his depth PM, however I do believe, that at times, politicians are given far more credence and importance than they deserve. I can only speak for the small area of the country I frequent i.e. Torfaen and Newport, and can say without hesitation that it is not tory politicians that is spreading this virus but a minority of local residents who are behaving negligently or ignorantly towards social distancing and hygiene rules. Would a crowd of 2,000 at RP include a number of such people? I believe almost certainly yes.
IF a vaccine starts to be rolled out next year, it should hopefully reduce the numbers, but I have no confidence, it will eradicate it, and their will still be a risk of catching the virus, even if you have been vaccinated if you attend any large social gathering.
Having said this, would I be tempted to attend a game, if positive cases are significantly reduced, and we are still top of the table?
Probably

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with this, especially the parts related to our inept, out of his depth PM, however I do believe, that at times, politicians are given far more credence and importance than they deserve. I can only speak for the small area of the country I frequent i.e. Torfaen and Newport, and can say without hesitation that it is not tory politicians that is spreading this virus but a minority of local residents who are behaving negligently or ignorantly towards social distancing and hygiene rules. Would a crowd of 2,000 at RP include a number of such people? I believe almost certainly yes.
IF a vaccine starts to be rolled out next year, it should hopefully reduce the numbers, but I have no confidence, it will eradicate it, and their will still be a risk of catching the virus, even if you have been vaccinated if you attend any large social gathering.
Having said this, would I be tempted to attend a game, if positive cases are significantly reduced, and we are still top of the table?
Probably

Wise words Old Cromwellian. But I still struggle to understand how this virus could pass from one supporter to another at somewhere like RP. Mass crowds at Cheltenham Festival, Anfield on a CL night - yes, I get it. Big crowds, circumstances preventing social distancing - I understand that. But, Rodney Parade Morecambe or Accrington on a cold winter Tuesday night with 2000 attending in stadiums built for 7000? No, I don't buy that.

We've learnt enough about social distancing in the last few months to almost guarantee that there would be no mishaps. Those who are worried about the risk - stay at home in the warm and watch the game online for a tenner. Those who aren't so worried, and boy do County need their voices, support and financial backing, attend in person. Take the slight risk and enjoy the football atmosphere. It's no different to watching football games in the 1980s when you faced the slight risk of football hooliganism.

Regardless we're all County supporters.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

Probably
Can I remind you both that whilst you are giving the Tories a bashing, that crowds returning to RP will be a decision not made by them, but by your very own Marxist leader ensconced in Cardiff Bay!

I'm in broadly the same camp as Cromwellian. My personal circumstances allow me to fairly effortlessly minimise the risk of infection.

The area of risk if I choose to go to a game is:

1. An hour long journey in either a shared car /train.
2. A prematch beer in a crowded hostelry
3. During the match, having late arrivals/early departures/weak bladder brigade squeezing past me to get to/from their seat
4. Half-time 100 Club
5. An hour long journey home in a shared car/train.

There are obvious precautions I can take there - travel to and from the game alone, miss the beer, miss the 100 club, threatening to punch anyone who comes too close, but those things, especially the last one, are often the bits of the day I enjoy most.