Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Kairdiff Exile » November 18th, 2020, 9:58 am

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:Can I remind you both that whilst you are giving the Tories a bashing, that crowds returning to RP will be a decision not made by them, but by your very own Marxist leader ensconced in Cardiff Bay!

If you think that Mark Drakeford's administration is "Marxist", then you've either not been paying attention to any of the Welsh Government's economic policies over the last two years, or you've never read any Marx. Or both.

On the substantive point, it would be reckless and foolhardy for either the UK Government or Welsh Government to allow spectators back into football stadia until there's widespread rollout of a vaccine. But given they've made the even more reckless and foolhardy decision to allow people to congregate in cinemas, pubs and shopping centres, there's an argument that football fans are being unfairly treated. Not sure that two wrongs will make a right though.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby excessbee » November 18th, 2020, 10:34 am

Fans return to matches: Government exploring potential return for December

That's the banner headline on the linked BBC page. If you remove the last two words, it is entirely logical...... Fans return to matches: Government exploring potential return......... Which of course they will be doing as part of an ongoing strategy for return to some sort of normality.
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 18th, 2020, 11:08 am

I think the government are finally waking up we can afford to wait for a vaccine

Just put in place measures to keep people as safe as possible
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:I think the government are finally waking up we can afford to wait for a vaccine

Just put in place measures to keep people as safe as possible


I agree. And one of the measures to be in place is that large crowds should not be allowed to congregate.

And I agree entirely with a point raised by a poster above that it is unfair to have cinemas pubs etc open at this time. More importantly it is an act of callous stupidity.

Next August we should be back to normal. And horrible though this lockdown is I feel it necessary. One final prediction. The Tories will ditch Johnson in the spring and rely on the same old trope of it was all his fault. Sadly a lot of people will fall for that. Johnson was merely a stooge for calculating people far cleverer than he.
User avatar
User

Countymax

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Countymax » November 18th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's not often I agree with Stan's every word but here I do.

This season will have been successful if the clubs/players muddle through and complete it. Fans (us) start getting vaccinated after Xmas ready to watch the play-offs. I do feel that the risk of getting infected in a crowd of 2000 at Rodney Parade is far, far less than the risk of getting infected at home (with kids around), the supermarket (with idiots swarming around certain aisles in packs looking for bargains) or even the pub (despite all best efforts of publicans some still forget the rules).

Like Stan, I do fear for the long-term future of the UK with Doris at the helm. I wouldn't trust the idiot with my dog let alone our health, prospects and future. The time will come for a proper public review of how HMG has handled the pendemic and, hopefully, BoJo won't be trusted with a paper round when the results are announced.

Without getting too political, I feel there are several Tory MPs that would've done the task far better (including one here in S.Wales), and Starmer would've probably surpassed them. It's a shame the next election is 3 years away, as it will (yet again) be seen as Labour spending big to get the UK back on track owing to all the debts the Tories will have racked up. It always seems to be Labour saving the day and getting flak for it.


I'm not disagreeing with this, especially the parts related to our inept, out of his depth PM, however I do believe, that at times, politicians are given far more credence and importance than they deserve. I can only speak for the small area of the country I frequent i.e. Torfaen and Newport, and can say without hesitation that it is not tory politicians that is spreading this virus but a minority of local residents who are behaving negligently or ignorantly towards social distancing and hygiene rules. Would a crowd of 2,000 at RP include a number of such people? I believe almost certainly yes.
IF a vaccine starts to be rolled out next year, it should hopefully reduce the numbers, but I have no confidence, it will eradicate it, and their will still be a risk of catching the virus, even if you have been vaccinated if you attend any large social gathering.
Having said this, would I be tempted to attend a game, if positive cases are significantly reduced, and we are still top of the table?
Probably


Can I remind you both that whilst you are giving the Tories a bashing, that crowds returning to RP will be a decision not made by them, but by your very own Marxist leader ensconced in Cardiff Bay!


Totally agree.
User avatar
User

Countymax

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Countymax » November 18th, 2020, 12:50 pm

llanwern exile wrote:I see that moderna and pfizer have announced that their vaccine is now 95% effective and should be ready by early december, but even if it is you wont be seeing fans back in grounds in large numbers until april at the earliest or more likely next season, the last sentence is of course "imho"


As much as it pains me I think you're right.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » November 18th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Countymax wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:I see that moderna and pfizer have announced that their vaccine is now 95% effective and should be ready by early december, but even if it is you wont be seeing fans back in grounds in large numbers until april at the earliest or more likely next season, the last sentence is of course "imho"


As much as it pains me I think you're right.


I'm also of this opinion. At the commencement of this season I was sceptical that the EFL leagues would be completed because of the combination of the pandemic and financial viability. Now given the possibility of a vaccine and some financial help to clubs eventually trickling down from the premiership I'm more optimistic, although not totally convinced.
Can only imagine the angst among supporters if County find themselves on the brink of promotion at the end of the season and fans are not allowed back into grounds.
no avatar
User

Fu Ming

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Fu Ming » November 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm

A couple of things clubs could do to reduce contact is to have home fans only.
There by stopping away fans travelling in multiple occupancy vehicles, and potentially spreading the virus around the country.
Also if there are no away fans then open up both north and south terraces there by allowing more space between fans.
And all bars and food outlets on site to be shut so that fans are not congregating in these areas (admittedly a loss of revenue).
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby excessbee » November 18th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Fu Ming wrote:A couple of things clubs could do to reduce contact is to have home fans only.
There by stopping away fans travelling in multiple occupancy vehicles, and potentially spreading the virus around the country.
Also if there are no away fans then open up both north and south terraces there by allowing more space between fans.
And all bars and food outlets on site to be shut so that fans are not congregating in these areas (admittedly a loss of revenue).


I thought it was taken as read that those conditions would be applied.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 18th, 2020, 6:28 pm

excessbee wrote:
Fu Ming wrote:A couple of things clubs could do to reduce contact is to have home fans only.
There by stopping away fans travelling in multiple occupancy vehicles, and potentially spreading the virus around the country.
Also if there are no away fans then open up both north and south terraces there by allowing more space between fans.
And all bars and food outlets on site to be shut so that fans are not congregating in these areas (admittedly a loss of revenue).


I thought it was taken as read that those conditions would be applied.


And County supporters who may well be season ticket holders who live in London, Workshop, Northampton, Reading, Taunton, Sheffield...................
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby pembsexile » November 19th, 2020, 6:03 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:According to the report, we could have fans back at clubs before Christmas but this could depend upon the tier level that the city/town is in. This is ridiculous. You can’t allow say Sunderland or Salford to play games with fans in attendance but not Gillingham or Plymouth all because of their location.

For me, it has to be all, or nothing. If the Premier league and the efl allow this half baked plan to go ahead with tier restrictions, cue the court cases against the football authorities. Money and the lawyers will win again. The punters will lose out.

With correct and stringent distancing and cleaning protocols in place, I am for attendance resuming when the authorities say so. If that is before Christmas, so be it. However, as always, it will be a political decision, and therein lies the problem. Boris’ nightmare because he has given cautious approval for it. Boris, you are just wrong, plain wrong.


Evening Mike,

I know we disagree on this. (Note to some: Great minds don't think alike and reasoned discussion is good.) However my view remains that we should have simply aborted season 20/21. However I agree totally that it is a political decision, I agree that a balance needs to be struck. But where I am in absolute agreement is that in a time of crisis, and probably the biggest storm of difficulties that the UK has faced in my lifetime, Britain could not have chosen a worse leader than Boris Johnson. Like Trump that catastrophic combination of arrogant entitlement mixed with a total lack of competence.


Morning Brendan,

I think my initial view at the start of this pandemic was that when the league eventually starts we should pick up from when the last season finished. Start on 12 March when last season finished.

The reason I have changed my view is the availability of safety protocols in football. No need to repeat them all here again. It can be done and the clubs seem up for it.

I see lots of legal issues ahead causing pain and cost. The punters will pay. Consistency, that is what I ask for. The government are actively campaigning for restaurants, theatres etc to open eventually, but as yet, sport is marginalised. I think this has been brought to Boris attention and this is why he has come up with this half baked idea.

We can make as many points as we like about the possibility of people still catching it at sporting events and I won’t disagree. However, couldn’t those same people catch it at a theatre or restaurant. Crazy, just bloody crazy. Politics gone completely and utterly bonkers. Get a grip Prime Minister.
User avatar
User

Caerleon Exile

Location

Glan Llyn

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Caerleon Exile » November 19th, 2020, 8:45 am

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's not often I agree with Stan's every word but here I do.

This season will have been successful if the clubs/players muddle through and complete it. Fans (us) start getting vaccinated after Xmas ready to watch the play-offs. I do feel that the risk of getting infected in a crowd of 2000 at Rodney Parade is far, far less than the risk of getting infected at home (with kids around), the supermarket (with idiots swarming around certain aisles in packs looking for bargains) or even the pub (despite all best efforts of publicans some still forget the rules).

Like Stan, I do fear for the long-term future of the UK with Doris at the helm. I wouldn't trust the idiot with my dog let alone our health, prospects and future. The time will come for a proper public review of how HMG has handled the pendemic and, hopefully, BoJo won't be trusted with a paper round when the results are announced.

Without getting too political, I feel there are several Tory MPs that would've done the task far better (including one here in S.Wales), and Starmer would've probably surpassed them. It's a shame the next election is 3 years away, as it will (yet again) be seen as Labour spending big to get the UK back on track owing to all the debts the Tories will have racked up. It always seems to be Labour saving the day and getting flak for it.


I'm not disagreeing with this, especially the parts related to our inept, out of his depth PM, however I do believe, that at times, politicians are given far more credence and importance than they deserve. I can only speak for the small area of the country I frequent i.e. Torfaen and Newport, and can say without hesitation that it is not tory politicians that is spreading this virus but a minority of local residents who are behaving negligently or ignorantly towards social distancing and hygiene rules. Would a crowd of 2,000 at RP include a number of such people? I believe almost certainly yes.
IF a vaccine starts to be rolled out next year, it should hopefully reduce the numbers, but I have no confidence, it will eradicate it, and their will still be a risk of catching the virus, even if you have been vaccinated if you attend any large social gathering.
Having said this, would I be tempted to attend a game, if positive cases are significantly reduced, and we are still top of the table?
Probably


Can I remind you both that whilst you are giving the Tories a bashing, that crowds returning to RP will be a decision not made by them, but by your very own Marxist leader ensconced in Cardiff Bay!


Put down your copy of The Sun and get off the Daily Mail website. The English national media is clouding your judgement. Remember Wales is currently not in lockdown whereas you still have another few weeks? I think the majority of people in Wales believe the Welsh Government has done a great job and are grateful we voted twice for devolved powers.

Anyway, this is a football forum not politics. Let's hope we can all get back over RP and let off some steam soon!
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby faerun exile » November 19th, 2020, 8:50 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54994155

Govt bail out looking likely for sports in UK with exceptions of Premier League, EFL and cricket. Fair enough really as there is more than enough cash swilling about in football, just needs to be re-distributed from the PL.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby faerun exile » November 19th, 2020, 8:53 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:
Fu Ming wrote:A couple of things clubs could do to reduce contact is to have home fans only.
There by stopping away fans travelling in multiple occupancy vehicles, and potentially spreading the virus around the country.
Also if there are no away fans then open up both north and south terraces there by allowing more space between fans.
And all bars and food outlets on site to be shut so that fans are not congregating in these areas (admittedly a loss of revenue).


I thought it was taken as read that those conditions would be applied.


And County supporters who may well be season ticket holders who live in London, Workshop, Northampton, Reading, Taunton, Sheffield...................

I guess there is nothing to stop them doing the same as ST holders who live locally who can get in their car, drive to RP, get out of their car, put a mask on, walk into Dave, watch the match socially distanced, walk back to their car, take their mask off and drive home.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Fans could be back at games in England by Christmas

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 19th, 2020, 1:06 pm

faerun exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:
Fu Ming wrote:A couple of things clubs could do to reduce contact is to have home fans only.
There by stopping away fans travelling in multiple occupancy vehicles, and potentially spreading the virus around the country.
Also if there are no away fans then open up both north and south terraces there by allowing more space between fans.
And all bars and food outlets on site to be shut so that fans are not congregating in these areas (admittedly a loss of revenue).


I thought it was taken as read that those conditions would be applied.


And County supporters who may well be season ticket holders who live in London, Workshop, Northampton, Reading, Taunton, Sheffield...................

I guess there is nothing to stop them doing the same as ST holders who live locally who can get in their car, drive to RP, get out of their car, put a mask on, walk into Dave, watch the match socially distanced, walk back to their car, take their mask off and drive home.


So why can't away supporters do that?

Rhetorical question that. Football supporters will drive to RP, get out of their car. Watch the match socially distanced. Return to car. And do ll this wearing a mask. Nobody will take a drink before or after the game. Everybody will behave responsibly.

Please don't try my patience. I disagree strongly with those who believe that the potential cost of returning fans to grounds is a price worth paying. However that argument is at least logical. The idea that large numbers of football supporters will all behave responsibly is nonsense.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beechwood Boy, Blackandamber, Exile 1976, Steve_

Powered by phpBB ®