Flynn on the loan market (FCBusiness)

Just seen Flynn was interviewed for Issue 130 of FCBusiness magazine talking about “the importance of the loan market, convincing a young prospect to come to the club, and how locality and relationships with big clubs are essential”

Starts on Page 16 - can be found at https://bit.ly/fcbusiness130

Some things that caught my eye:

• he’s currently on an LMA Leadership and Management Course especially working on “marketing yourself and your brand”

• there was a penalty clause in the Ben White deal to mandate a minimum playing time. White also had an offer in January to move up the leagues on another loan but MF convinced him to stay

• Pre Covid, he says clubs loan managers and player liaison managers have access to the training ground to monitor players

• The board are required to sign off any loan fees

• He met with Hatswell during the summer furlough to work on improving the style of play, “building and attacking through the thirds”

• The club hadn’t done this before because of “injuries, personnel and the pitch” but wanted to now “build from the back and play attractive, possession-based football”

• The new style meant recruitment had a greater focus on technical players. He gets “great satisfaction” helping loanees on in their career.

His priorities when looking for a loan player are:
• having the right attitude
• wanting to come and play for County
• being receptive and want to improve

His loan player recruitment process is:
• MF first works alone to identify players
• He then talks things through with Hatswell
• Head performance analyst Jason Windsor provides 90 minute game footage
• MF bounces ideas and input off a “third party”
• Staff then speak to contacts in the game to check the due diligence

Re: Flynn on the loan market (FCBusiness)

Great article that. Reads like a 'Mike Flynn CV' in places but does show the hard work he and other staff do to identify potential loan players. No mention of input from Elite though.

Reading about his determination to change the style of our play was interesting, although 2 of the 3 factors mentioned which prohibited this earlier are still around now I guess (dodgy pitch in bad weather and the inevitable injuries). I think, as he says, the covid-enforced break meant he had more time to work on the style we play than is usually available during a normal pre-season.

Good to see him mention Liverpool's Rhys Williams.

The Wolf wrote:Are you going to question this person about there copy and paste "Jack"?
Could this be Competition Man"?
Are you going to question this person about his use of grammar Jack?

Seriously though, The Wolf has a point. A lot of websites, particularly those which charge a subscription, get annoyed when others paste articles elsewhere, citing copyright rules.

The Wolf wrote:Are you going to question this person about there copy and paste "Jack"?
Could this be Competition Man"?
Innocent question but who/what is "competition man", sorry? I keep seeing it on various threads but have absolutely no idea what it's all about.

As Jack mentioned, I made a point of using as few direct quotes of the piece as possible, and used the link. I wonder if exiledin ealing's post might be a bit more tenuous though, wasn't confident copying it in its entirety.

George Street-Bridge wrote:In copyright terms the summary is fine, the facsimiles aren't.
Mmm. You are not wrong but neither are you quite right.

Firstly there is clearly a breach of copyright here. And as such it could be regarded as the theft of intellectual property. However there is provision for 'fair use'. A very simple example would be Michael Flynn said followed by a quote. And and as such your comment is correct.

However there is no precise definition of fair use. One of the criteria the courts would use to determine whether publishing the article in full amounts to a theft of intellectual property is the amount of harm done to the copywright owner. In terms how many people who would have bought the magazine but have now not done so as a result of reading it for free on the County message board.

If asked by the publisher to take down the article it would be wise to do so. However I think such a request unlikely and I shouldn't lose too much sleep over it. In fact the publishers probably welcome the free advertising.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I have some professional knowledge of copyright and I'm certain reprinting 100 per cent of an article cannot be defended as fair dealing. Whether the copyright holder could give a toss is neither nor there. You can claim copyright in your own translation of it.
Perhaps if you had a little more lnowledge of copyright and knew that the term is 'fair use' not 'fair dealing' then I might take your comment more seriously. Then again if you bothered to read my post properly you would have seen that I did say that if the holder of the copyright asked for the article to be removed it would be wise so to do.

As it is an obscure message board for the fans of Newport County read by a couple of hundred people? My view that any action by the copyright holder would probably be kicked out on the well established principle of de minimis. In terms the court would likely tell someone trying to argue such a minor though strictly correct point to get a life.