Re: The pitch

whoareya wrote:
lowandhard wrote:That picture takes me back to being sat on a “football special” from the railway station to Somerton and an away supporter saying to his son,” we’re going to Somerton Beach today! “.
You could get a train to Somerton Park? Was there an actual platform there back then?
I remember the sidings as being quite a busy freight depot but never knew it was used for passengers.
Just scratched around on Google and old map shows Lysaghts as terminus of branch from Llanwern.... But not clear if there was a passenger station....
Anyone in the know?
Answers on dark web please

mad norm wrote:
whoareya wrote:
lowandhard wrote:That picture takes me back to being sat on a “football special” from the railway station to Somerton and an away supporter saying to his son,” we’re going to Somerton Beach today! “.
You could get a train to Somerton Park? Was there an actual platform there back then?
I remember the sidings as being quite a busy freight depot but never knew it was used for passengers.
Just scratched around on Google and old map shows Lysaghts as terminus of branch from Llanwern.... But not clear if there was a passenger station....
Anyone in the know?
Answers on dark web please
Norm, that branch wound it's way as far as Uskmouth power station, ironically via Spytty Stadium as well.
I may have misunderstood the football special as a train but possibly they were buses from the train station.
Saying that, did one large lot of away fans once disembark a train at Somerton Park when the Railway End was used for away fans in the 80's?

whoareya wrote:
No mate, the old station building at NEWPORT had a bus pull in right outside from which a double decker shuttle bus service ran on match days to Somerton Park. The bus had “ football special “ on its destination indicator. Those were the days, you could buy a football argus almost by the time you got back to town! The press was by the market.

lowandhard wrote:
whoareya wrote:
No mate, the old station building at NEWPORT had a bus pull in right outside from which a double decker shuttle bus service ran on match days to Somerton Park. The bus had “ football special “ on its destination indicator. Those were the days, you could buy a football argus almost by the time you got back to town! The press was by the market.
I used to come out of the game with a couple of mates and settle in for a couple of pints of Guinness in the Black Swan in Market Street before buying the Football Argus outside the press at about ten to six. Memories eh?

lowandhard wrote:
whoareya wrote:
Ok, thanks for clarifying.