Re: The pitch

neilcork68 wrote:Anyone seen what damage the Dragons and Blues have made of the pitch after todays game?
Not looking good from pictures of the game on S4C. Lots of sand in patches before the game. Will undoubtedly be uneven and
devoid of grass in large patches Tues. Only thing for certain of course it will be the same for both sides.

mad norm wrote:Would it be an idea to ask the EU for a leaving present of a new pitch?
Too late for that. There is plenty of pure Welsh sand available, it's better anyway. I remember when the rugby players used to use sand to take the place-kicks, perhaps the Dragons could encourage more of it again :lol: .

On a related note, I read on Twitter that some of the RP ground-staff are Covid isolating and there were some people from other places that helped get the ground ready for the rugby, I wonder how that may affect our game? To be fair to the staff they have always done a great effort in getting it ready for us, it's not their fault that the pitch gets cut up due to the weather and continual usage.

Many on here harp back to the Somerton Park days - that pitch was often just as bad, if not worse that the one we have now.

It was often at least as bad, but so were pitches at many other clubs. The WRU can presumably call in help from other clubs to get a game on, but they then have no stake in repairing it for our use.

More generally, I think rugby as a whole is heading for hard times. I think this concussion thing will prove to be absolutely massive.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It was often at least as bad, but so were pitches at many other clubs. The WRU can presumably call in help from other clubs to get a game on, but they then have no stake in repairing it for our use.
It must be part of the deal, if the pitch is unplayable why would we pay?

lowandhard wrote:That picture takes me back to being sat on a “football special” from the railway station to Somerton and an away supporter saying to his son,” we’re going to Somerton Beach today! “.
You could get a train to Somerton Park? Was there an actual platform there back then?
I remember the sidings as being quite a busy freight depot but never knew it was used for passengers.

whoareya wrote:
lowandhard wrote:That picture takes me back to being sat on a “football special” from the railway station to Somerton and an away supporter saying to his son,” we’re going to Somerton Beach today! “.
You could get a train to Somerton Park? Was there an actual platform there back then?
I remember the sidings as being quite a busy freight depot but never knew it was used for passengers.
Ah to be so young. Football special busses like the Football Argus and the promise of youth, gone to return no more. :cry: