Rochdale doctor calls for EFL season to be suspended

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... ases-rise/

Rochdale’s club doctor Wes Tensel has called for the EFL to see the “bigger picture” and halt the current campaign due to rising cases of coronavirus.

Dale are the latest club to suffer an outbreak of Covid-19 in their camp over Christmas, with their next two games called off.

Millwall, Rotherham, Ipswich, Sunderland, Hull, Doncaster, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Morecambe have also been hit over the last week while the Premier League has not escaped, with 18 cases reported in its last round of testing as the festive calendar has been heavily disrupted.

Re: Rochdale doctor calls for EFL season to be suspended

was interesting reading Big Sam's comments on a circuit breaker, talking about his age (66) and his fear of picking up covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55480666

Football managers (and I imagine their staff too) are at a higher than average risk... there are 31 managers over 50 in the Football League and 8 over 60

Total logistical nightmare to push back the EPL and European games but if any end up seriously ill or worse, the owners will have a lot to answer for

landinho wrote:was interesting reading Big Sam's comments on a circuit breaker, talking about his age (66) and his fear of picking up covid

Football managers (and I imagine their staff too) are at a higher than average risk... there are 31 managers over 50 in the Football League and 8 over 60

Total logistical nightmare to push back the EPL and European games but if any end up seriously ill or worse, the owners will have a lot to answer for
Ha! The man must be joking he's been out of work for 18 months or so gets a new job then calls for a break!!

If he was that worried why come back :roll:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
landinho wrote:was interesting reading Big Sam's comments on a circuit breaker, talking about his age (66) and his fear of picking up covid

Ha! The man must be joking he's been out of work for 18 months or so gets a new job then calls for a break!!

True, maybe he risked his health taking the job. But the authorities are responsible for keeping their at risk staff safe. Especially the others who couldn't have anticipated Covid

Alternative maybe to delaying fixtures would be to require all managers to work largely remotely. The younger managers might not like it, but it would be the fairest way to ensure sides keep playing

UPTHEPORT wrote:

Where's all your peace and goodwill to all. And I thought you worked in a hospital and would know what it's like to see people with the virus. Maybe we have all got you wrong and your not as nice as you would like us to think you are. How long were you out of work before you got your new job?

The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Where's all your peace and goodwill to all. And I thought you worked in a hospital and would know what it's like to see people with the virus. Maybe we have all got you wrong and your not as nice as you would like us to think you are. How long were you out of work before you got your new job?
I took 3 months off and 3 months gardening leave the 3 months was my own doing had a lovely break

Put it this was if I had an underlying condition I wouldn't work on the front line in the NHS

Hope that answers your questions :roll:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

I took 3 months off and 3 months gardening leave the 3 months was my own doing had a lovely break

Put it this was if I had an underlying condition I wouldn't work on the front line in the NHS

Well, the same could be said for Big Sam, maybe he didn't apply for any jobs because he wanted to spend more time with his family. And of course, let us not forget he could have retired but, he didn't because he still got more to offer the sporting world.

How's that for an answer?
Last edited by The Newport on December 30th, 2020, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Well, the same could be said for Big Sam, maybe he didn't apply for any jobs because he wanted to spend more time with his family. And of course, let us not forget he could have retired but, he didn't because he still got more to offer the sporting world.
So why 2 weeks into a new job he's taken is he saying it's to dangerous

UPTHEPORT wrote:
The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

So why 2 weeks into a new job he's taken is he saying it's to dangerous
Maybe and only maybe he didn't realise how dangerously close to the virus he would be working.
After all, we have all made the wrong decision in life at some point, have we not?
And I'm not saying that he's made the wrong decision this time around.

Newport County are having a wonderful season. That notwithstanding I am enjoying this season far less than any, even the terrible ones, of the 54 previous I have watched. But for the fact, and I realize I am being totally selfish, that we have a realistic shot at promotion I'd be calling for season 20/21 to be scrapped.

And speaking to friends who support other teams in mid table obscurity there is general agreement with that sentiment. Honest Now, if we were looking like we were not in the hunt wpuld any of you not find this season dull?