Re: Swindon recall Twine

Beechwood Boy wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:The Advertiser is reporting that Twine wasn't pleased to be recalled. It doesn't elaborate, but I wouldn't mind betting he was looking forward to playing against WBA. Perhaps he'd have been OK with returning to Swindon after the FA Cup game.
Shouldn't that be BHA.......Brighton & Hove Albion?
Oops! Yes. I knew there was a B and an A in it!

Justanordinaryfan wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:How skint are Swindon? It would have to involve a colossal sell-on. As long as it's a quick decision and doesn't turn into a saga distracting from other signings.
Credit to the club for having a go at getting him, but if there are championship clubs sniffing then I fear we won’t be able to compete with them ..... however as certain individuals constantly remind us on here .... think small be small.
Quite.

If we try we might fail. If we don't try we will fail. It really is that simple.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:How skint are Swindon? It would have to involve a colossal sell-on. As long as it's a quick decision and doesn't turn into a saga distracting from other signings.
Credit to the club for having a go at getting him, but if there are championship clubs sniffing then I fear we won’t be able to compete with them ..... however as certain individuals constantly remind us on here .... think small be small.
Quite.

If we try we might fail. If we don't try we will fail. It really is that simple.
Audere Est Facere - To Dare is to Do, in other words, if you don't try how can you hope to succeed!

Scott Twine is just a player, albeit a very good one. I applaud the decision by the club to try to hold on to him. Regardless of whether we succeed or not, in acting this way the club have united the supporters. I suspect that there will be nobody who disagrees with the decision to at least try. To make a statement that we might lose but we will go down guns blazing.

I hope very much the board of directors adopt the same principle to the real long term structural problems, that face our club.

The Twine situation is interesting.

If Swindon put him in the shop window now, i.e. he gets some game time for them in L1, then he can't play for another league side (apart from us or Swindon) for the rest of the season. He could be registered with a third league club but could not play for them.

Re: Bid for Twine

Sheridan clearly doesn't know just how fantastic Scott has been for us. Quoted in the paper saying "he has scored one or two goals for them" when asked about Scott being recalled. Twine has been my player of the season so far, he has 7 goals and 7 assists already.

If and it is a big if, we can sign him permanently then this would be our best signing in some time.
I don't want to be pessimistic and say it's unlikely because he is linked with championship teams, but don't want to get too excited either...yet

G Guest wrote:County have made a bid of an undisclosed sum to sign Twine on a permanent basis according to Argus.
Does anyone think the fee we have bid is more than our club record fee from when we signed Joe Day? I believe the fee to buy Joe was roughly £50k. I think more is needed to bring in Twine.

John Sheridan said in the Swindon Advertiser he sees Twine as an extra body in the team. Why would Scott want to go back there and be seen as "an extra body in the team"? He is valued a lot more by Flynny than Sheridan obviously!

wattsville_boy wrote:Twine won't play for Swindon because they are in a relegation battle and Sheridan will be looking for experienced players to get them out of the sh1t, not youngsters.

Swindon will be relegated and County will go up. Twine will not re-sign for Swindon because they recalled him from a side that was playing him regularly and though put him occasionally on the bench only playing him when all was lost.

So Twine may not be lost yet to County. Surely Flynn would look to pick him up in the close season with the promise of continuing his development...
I said it wasn't over. He's 21, so plenty of time for some big contracts. County has an attraction, in that he's playing regularly and he knows his fellow players and the Management team. If Swindon have only taken him back in order to sell him to the highest bidder then he can refuse all offers and wait until the end of season and sign for the highest offer as a free-agent. Swindon lose. However they can make a bit of money, include a sell-on clause and both parties are happy. Talk of selling to a Championship side is mere "puff" trying to generate interest and increase any transfer fee. I don't believe any Championship side would be too interested based on a half season evidence...

Depends on the player and his mentality.
Some are willing to earn a reasonable wage at a lower level knowing they are playing first team football.
Others are driven by the money and sod playing as long as they are being paid a relative fortune one or two levels higher. Joe Day is a case here as he is 3rd choice in the Championship hardly getting a sniff at getting on the first team coach to games, but no doubt earning a shed load for his troubles. Nothing against JD but this is a typical example.
Some believe it is worth the risk of fighting to just make the subs bench at a higher level if someone has told him he could be a PL player in 3 years!
Who knows? We can only hope he is so happy at RP and that will influence the end result. At the end of the day he was never our player in the first place, just on a 'borrow.'

Wouldn't surprise me to see him at FGR especially now they've got even more money after selling Kitching for a record fee for them.
Destined for higher than league 2, will have plenty of offers

I don't see us signing him, I don't think we'll get close to what other teams can/will be prepared to pay him.
Really hope I'm wrong mind.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 8th, 2021, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.