Re: Swindon recall Twine

Willthiswork wrote:I wonder how much it would cost to buy him?

Maybe do another Trust donation like they did with Labadie? Crowdfunding?
I was thinking the same. Have the bonus money from reaching the 3rd round of the cup. Why not use some of this to put in a bid. Would be a big boost for our promotion hopes.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Was always going to happen. Whether it is to play him or to try and move him on for a fee, absolute class player at this level and he will do well higher up the pyramid too.
Pause for a moment. I agree with you entirely. If you loan a player who turns out to be any good he gets recalled. Think of all the shite players whose wages we have paid before concluding there is any economic benefits. Further Twine only had 12 months left on his Swindon contract. Clearly he did not fit into their plans at the start of the season. County developed the player and Swindon got a shot to nothing. Without a loan system County could well have picked up Twine on a free in September.

Anyone still believing the loan system is of a benefit to Newport County is bonkers.
Easy to say with hindsight. Quite aside from the fact he may not have been available for free transfer, we would have had to gamble on a 12 month maybe 24 month contract - 2 year contract for Bradley Webb a loanee who has not worked out?
You are also unaware of the commercial arrangement did we pay all Twine’s wages or part of? I doubt we could have afforded to sign the number of players we currently have in our squad without loans.
I imagine Swindon want him back to play - doubt maybe apart from us anyone would pay for him as he is out of contract in the summer- the player maybe potentially looking to do a Butler, run his contract out to get a better deal with no fee in the summer. On this basis it will be very disappointing if Swindon don’t play him as I see no other benefit to recalling him.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Was always going to happen. Whether it is to play him or to try and move him on for a fee, absolute class player at this level and he will do well higher up the pyramid too.
Pause for a moment. I agree with you entirely. If you loan a player who turns out to be any good he gets recalled. Think of all the shite players whose wages we have paid before concluding there is any economic benefits. Further Twine only had 12 months left on his Swindon contract. Clearly he did not fit into their plans at the start of the season. County developed the player and Swindon got a shot to nothing. Without a loan system County could well have picked up Twine on a free in September.

Anyone still believing the loan system is of a benefit to Newport County is bonkers.
When players on loan are in the first 11 and part of a squad that’s top of its division bit difficult to see how it’s not a benefit to the club what I don’t like is having someone on loan who is never going to feature but potentially blocks the progression of an academy player unfortunately this is just the way lower league clubs wheel and deal to survive

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Michael Flynn believes it's very important to us
Yes I know. He's wrong.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Michael Flynn believes it's very important to us
Yes I know. He's wrong.
Of Course the Manager is wrong and you are right.

Whilst I understand your sentiments on Loans, the alternative would be to take even more punts on non contract players and give them contracts, probably paying them even more wages than a loan, and less likely to find the diamonds we can in the loan market. Whilst all other teams are getting decent players on loan. For every Twine there is a Ben White, and when you loan off the league above of course there is more chance they will be recalled if doing well. You could say him being recalled has given us a problem, but if he hadn't been here maybe we wouldn't even be in a position to have such a problem. Maybe Devitt can now step up or maybe Flynn has already got someone lined up. Loans are a very necessary evil at this level.

I know you still won't agree.

Oh and I really dislike Sheridan, even his comments on this are pathetic.

Without Twine and Cooper,we wouldn’t be top of the League.White made a huge difference to the side.Without McCoulsky,we wouldn’t have beat Leeds on our first Cup run.Without Healey and Sheehan,we would have been relegated.To say loans are of no benefit to us is absurd.The problem I have with loans is Flynny signs too many,there were seven here this season,six on other occasions.There is a disruption caused by good ones being recalled and duff ones being sent back and more then being brought in to replace them.Far better to just have three and try to make sure that they will make an impact.Lewis and Webb have hardly played,there was Maloney and the other Cooper before them that were just squad fillers.I think we have a couple of Academy players who are being held back because of loan players clogging up the squad at their expense.

Technically,Twine can play tomorrow but likely Swindon may ask us not to,especially as the announcement has been made today and they want him for Saturday.If Swindon are looking to sell,it would have made sense to let him play against Brighton on live tv where a wider audience could see him,and push up the price and then recall him.

Percy plunkett wrote:Without Twine and Cooper,we wouldn’t be top of the League.White made a huge difference to the side.Without McCoulsky,we wouldn’t have beat Leeds on our first Cup run.Without Healey and Sheehan,we would have been relegated.To say loans are of no benefit to us is absurd.The problem I have with loans is Flynny signs too many,there were seven here this season,six on other occasions.There is a disruption caused by good ones being recalled and duff ones being sent back and more then being brought in to replace them.Far better to just have three and try to make sure that they will make an impact.Lewis and Webb have hardly played,there was Maloney and the other Cooper before them that were just squad fillers.I think we have a couple of Academy players who are being held back because of loan players clogging up the squad at their expense.
And without the loan system clubs higher up the pyramid would not be able to Hoover up so many players. Twine was not in Swindon's plans at the start of the season. Without the loan system Twine or a player of Twine' s calibre would or at least should have been playing for Newport County throughout the season and not be subject to the whim of Swindon f@cking Town.

My argument, which the more intelligent readers of this board are fully conversant with, is not that Twine is not an exceptional player but rather that without the insidious loan system Twine would not be leaving just as we go into the business end of the season.

Without the loan system,we would have been relegated,would the club have been on a downhill spiral after that.Without Healey and Sheehan,the great escape wouldn’t have been possible.Would we have eventually signed Sheehan permanently if he hadn’t played on loan.We can’t change the fact that bigger clubs have first dibs at the young talent and can afford to hoover up talent.What clubs like us have to do is cherrypick some of that talent to help us win football matches.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Without Twine and Cooper,we wouldn’t be top of the League.White made a huge difference to the side.Without McCoulsky,we wouldn’t have beat Leeds on our first Cup run.Without Healey and Sheehan,we would have been relegated.To say loans are of no benefit to us is absurd.The problem I have with loans is Flynny signs too many,there were seven here this season,six on other occasions.There is a disruption caused by good ones being recalled and duff ones being sent back and more then being brought in to replace them.Far better to just have three and try to make sure that they will make an impact.Lewis and Webb have hardly played,there was Maloney and the other Cooper before them that were just squad fillers.I think we have a couple of Academy players who are being held back because of loan players clogging up the squad at their expense.
And without the loan system clubs higher up the pyramid would not be able to Hoover up so many players. Twine was not in Swindon's plans at the start of the season. Without the loan system Twine or a player of Twine' s calibre would or at least should have been playing for Newport County throughout the season and not be subject to the whim of Swindon f@cking Town.

My argument, which the more intelligent readers of this board are fully conversant with, is not that Twine is not an exceptional player but rather that without the insidious loan system Twine would not be leaving just as we go into the business end of the season.
Usual snide comments from the all knowing but my view is without the loan system players like Scott twine will be sat on their arses not kicking a ball apart from the odd development game.there are lots wrong with the loan system but it also has positive points

Gutted to see him go.
He has been our stand out player this year.
For those who moan about the loan system - perhaps we might not be in pole position in league 2 if hadn’t played for us.
I just hope that any players who might join/come in on loan get some good quality game time and are not injury prone.
The last thing we need is injury prone players out for months on end.
Best of luck to Scott in his future career.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:[q. Twine was not in Swindon's plans at the start of the season. Without the loan system Twine or a player of Twine' s calibre would or at least should have been playing for Newport County throughout the season and not be subject to the whim of Swindon f@cking Town.

I believe Twine played in most of Swindon's pre-season games, up front as a striker, and did really well. Their fans were certainly looking forward to seeing him make an impact this season.

As much as I dislike that nasty, odourous team from the wrong end of the A420, I have to say they have done a superb job in coaching and nurturing Twine and looking after his development. We gave him the first-team opportunities and different coaching and he made a real impact.

We know he would play 90% of games if he stayed with us, when he returns to Swindon then we'll see who the better coach / man-manager is, as I doubt Sheridan will get as much out of him as MF did. If he ends up as just a bit-part player at Swindon then there will be a host of Lge2 clubs looking to sign him in the summer, hopefully with us at the head of the queue.

More generally on the loan system, when it was introduced it was an excellent idea for all clubs and players. Introduced just as the Football Combination (reserve league) ended, it gave valuable match time to fringe players and those returning from injury. It has always benefitted lower league teams - when was the last time you saw a player loaned to a higher tier team?

I do think it's overused to fill squads or allow the Chelseas etc to farm out the small armies of youngsters they've acquired, but the system works for almost everyone and is here to stay.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on January 1st, 2021, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.