Re: Swindon recall Twine

Of course this was likely but this really is a cruel blow to our promotion credentials, not only is he top scorer but also top of the assist charts, plus factor in the goals he's gained from causing penalties and mayhem in the box. The only player remotely similar on the books is Devitt and he's also on loan. By no means are we are a one man team, but this is a big blow and unless we get a genuine striker or even two in then we will defo stutter. Flynn has worked wonders the past few seasons with great loans, so I'll trust him to do it again this window. UTC

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Without loan system we wouldn't have had
White
Day
Sheehan
Twine to name just a few
Makes you wonder how without the loan system we got, Waldren, Byrne (Tony) Oakes, Aldridge, Moore, Vaughan, Tynan, Goddard, Kendall, to name just a few.
Stan, football has moved on since your heyday. It's a business first and foremost these days, whether we like it or not.

Stan, that's ancient history. It's half-way back in time to Ramsay MacDonald being prime minister.

If loan numbers need curbing, there are easy ways:
- no recall allowed after a cooling-off period;
- reduce the number you can have in a matchday squad;
- limit the overall number you can have to the limit for use in a single match;
- to stop big clubs hoovering up talent, limit the number they can lend out.

Recalling Twine was a no-brainer for Sheridan. What did he have to lose?

And if Twine's contract is running out, won't Swindon get a Bosman fee for a homegrown player in the summer?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Stan, that's ancient history. It's half-way back in time to Ramsay MacDonald being prime minister.

If loan numbers need curbing, there are easy ways:
- no recall allowed after a cooling-off period;
- reduce the number you can have in a matchday squad;
- limit the overall number you can have to the limit for use in a single match;
- to stop big clubs hoovering up talent, limit the number they can lend out.

Recalling Twine was a no-brainer for Sheridan. What did he have to lose?

And if Twine's contract is running out, won't Swindon get a Bosman fee for a homegrown player in the summer?

George,

Notwithstanding Ramsay MacDonald I agree entirely with every word you write. This argument that the world has 'moved on' is a nonsense. Things have changed and not for the better is a more accurate summation of the position.

Sheridan is acting in Sheridan's best interest. I am constantly amazed that so many, although in fairness not you, seem surprised and/or disappointed by this. Does anyone doubt that had Flynn loaned out a player who turned out to be exceptional he would bring him back in January?

Just for clarification for those who don't read my posts and consider that which I write.

My criticism is not of the club or Michael Flynn. My criticism is of the loan system which is designed solely for the purpose of benefiting larger clubs at the expense of smaller clubs.

Money in the form of big clubs and Sky TV have form for this. The Premier League was set up to assist the English National team remember? Total bollox of course. The loan system works the same way.

Don't be fooled.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Just for clarification for those who don't read my posts and consider that which I write.

My criticism is not of the club or Michael Flynn. My criticism is of the loan system which is designed solely for the purpose of benefiting larger clubs at the expense of smaller clubs.

Money in the form of big clubs and Sky TV have form for this. The Premier League was set up to assist the English National team remember? Total bollox of course. The loan system works the same way.

Don't be fooled.
Morning Brendan. Happy New Year to you as well.

Again, you may well be right in the things that you say, and unfairness/money seems to be your focus. I won’t disagree with that. However, it may be morally wrong but my original point still stands.

How many at the club would be clamouring for peoples heads if we didn’t use the loan system for our benefit as it stands now? I say benefit because, by and large, we are top due to the actions (amongst others) do some superb loan players.

You have won the moral high ground argument but reality and how things are has a habit of biting people on the bum.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Just for clarification for those who don't read my posts and consider that which I write.

Don't be fooled.

Again, you may well be right in the things that you say, and unfairness/money seems to be your focus. I won’t disagree with that. However, it may be morally wrong but my original point still stands.

How many at the club would be clamouring for peoples heads if we didn’t use the loan system for our benefit as it stands now? I say benefit because, by and large, we are top due to the actions (amongst others) do some superb loan players.

You have won the moral high ground argument but reality and how things are has a habit of biting people on the bum.
But suppose that we do not win promotion/playoff place? What have we gained then from the loans? Wouldn’t we have benefitted more by bringing on our own players whether for our own use or for sale to aid our fiscal survival?

lowandhard wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Don't be fooled.

But suppose that we do not win promotion/playoff place? What have we gained then from the loans? Wouldn’t we have benefitted more by bringing on our own players whether for our own use or for sale to aid our fiscal survival?
Interesting, and yes, I would love to see home grown talent prosper within the club. In an ideal world that would be brilliant. But........

I guess those decisions are best left to MF and his staff. If he doesn’t think they are ready yet, then who am I to argue. I have opinions, but he gets paid for those decisions. Just hope he keeps getting it right (in the main).

I suspect that we will never know if we would be top of the league on NY day if MF had thrown the nippers in. Who would be a manager eh? Certainly not me. I’ll stick to giving dubious opinions :grin:

It's not that long ago that Terry Butcher kicked off the season with 3/4/5 untried youngsters in the team. Indeed they played some attractive football but it was never going to work out in the long term. Or the short term really, although I thoroughly enjoyed the display they put on at Wolves.

As for the youngsters,there are a few who could come through but Flynny,like most managers,prefers to play safe and use loans who don’t play or experienced journeymen rather than take a gamble.I have said before,I like Woodiwiss who could make a good DM.Some of the others are showing potential but maybe too early for them yet.Twamley looks decent and I was impressed with Livermore against Plymouth,Lewis at 15 didn’t look out of place either.I just hope they are being nurtured and developed for the future rather than being discarded once they reach 18.

excessbee wrote:It's not that long ago that Terry Butcher kicked off the season with 3/4/5 untried youngsters in the team. Indeed they played some attractive football but it was never going to work out in the long term. Or the short term really, although I thoroughly enjoyed the display they put on at Wolves.
Aaron Collins, Regan Poole, Andrew Hughes all succeeded playing regular first team football though, and my have not if they had been left playing for the academy

I will try for the final time to explain.

Each season, providing no external force, Covid, Hitler, a meteor strike etc, intervenes two teams will be relegated from League 2 and four promoted.. That will be the case whether you have the present loan system or not. Whether Flynn plays the system well or not is not part of my argument. My argument is that the loan system is detrimental to all 24 teams in League 2.

Now I specifically said I make no criticism of the club or Michael Flynn. My argument is not that Newport County should act unilaterally in not using the system of loans but rather that League 2 clubs should act in unison to reject a system which is detrimental to the whole of the League. All 24 clubs at our level are being exploited. Now if someone can point out how every team in our League being at the bec' and call of the likes of Swindon etc is a win/win then I would be interested in reading that opinion. Thus far I have seen nothing.