Re: Swindon recall Twine

Bangitintrnet wrote:
excessbee wrote:It's not that long ago that Terry Butcher kicked off the season with 3/4/5 untried youngsters in the team. Indeed they played some attractive football but it was never going to work out in the long term. Or the short term really, although I thoroughly enjoyed the display they put on at Wolves.
Aaron Collins, Regan Poole, Andrew Hughes all succeeded playing regular first team football though, and my have not if they had been left playing for the academy
But none came through our academy all signed after release from Bristol / Cardiff - can anyone name a home grown player ( say from age 12) who has played professionally at league level?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I will try for the final time to explain.

Each season, providing no external force, Covid, Hitler, a meteor strike etc, intervenes two teams will be relegated from League 2 and four promoted.. That will be the case whether you have the present loan system or not. Whether Flynn plays the system well or not is not part of my argument. My argument is that the loan system is detrimental to all 24 teams in League 2.

Now I specifically said I make no criticism of the club or Michael Flynn. My argument is not that Newport County should act unilaterally in not using the system of loans but rather that League 2 clubs should act in unison to reject a system which is detrimental to the whole of the League. All 24 clubs at our level are being exploited. Now if someone can point out how every team in our League being at the bec' and call of the likes of Swindon etc is a win/win then I would be interested in reading that opinion. Thus far I have seen nothing.
But it's not just L2, it happens throughout all the league, even Chelsea loan out their fringe players to other PL sides which normally comes with a caveat that they can't play against their parent club. The day will come when someone like a Chelsea will recall a player just to derail the loan club who have become a threat to the 'Parent club's' position that league.
Right or wrong everyone knows the risks, the difference being the further up the food chain you are, the less the damage is likely to be.
Remember in theory, we are getting a really good player (mostly) for zero initial outlay and mostly only paying half the wages, and in the worst case scenario if said player gets a bad injury, we send him back with our best wishes and no onward financial outlay, unlike if one of our own ends up being paid to stay at home for 6/12 months with the possibility they may never play again.

County-at-the-races wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:I will try for the final time to explain.

Each season, providing no external force, Covid, Hitler, a meteor strike etc, intervenes two teams will be relegated from League 2 and four promoted.. That will be the case whether you have the present loan system or not. Whether Flynn plays the system well or not is not part of my argument. My argument is that the loan system is detrimental to all 24 teams in League 2.

Now I specifically said I make no criticism of the club or Michael Flynn. My argument is not that Newport County should act unilaterally in not using the system of loans but rather that League 2 clubs should act in unison to reject a system which is detrimental to the whole of the League. All 24 clubs at our level are being exploited. Now if someone can point out how every team in our League being at the bec' and call of the likes of Swindon etc is a win/win then I would be interested in reading that opinion. Thus far I have seen nothing.
But it's not just L2, it happens throughout all the league, even Chelsea loan out their fringe players to other PL sides which normally comes with a caveat that they can't play against their parent club. The day will come when someone like a Chelsea will recall a player just to derail the loan club who have become a threat to the 'Parent club's' position that league.
Right or wrong everyone knows the risks, the difference being the further up the food chain you are, the less the damage is likely to be.
Remember in theory, we are getting a really good player (mostly) for zero initial outlay and mostly only paying half the wages, and in the worst case scenario if said player gets a bad injury, we send him back with our best wishes and no onward financial outlay, unlike if one of our own ends up being paid to stay at home for 6/12 months with the possibility they may never play again.
Sorry but your argument doesn't convince me.

Loaning is renting in practice. I don't know if you have bought your own house but I will assume you have. If I were to say that in the short term renting is less expensive than buying a house and in the worst case scenario and the house burns down you can walk away without a problem. Now be honest if you could turn the clock back would you choose to rent?

/looks like Proctor will go back too which personally I;m happy with as though decent he certainly isn't an answer. I hope Deviitt;s loan is extended as he certainly has it in him to be something like Twine, We are solid all over the park so te glaring issue is a goalscorer and goal creator with pace so these are the players I expect to see come in and keep my fingers crossed we have someone like Semenyo as Flynny has a good track record with loanees, maybe the Swans have a striker bubbling away. I keep the faith and still think promotion this season but it really does depend on the success of the new loanees imho. UTC

Seen nothing from the club yet but assuming those loans mentioned are going back then hopefully we have a plan in place which Flynn feels will strengthen us for the second half of the season. One of the usual problems is that clubs don’t make their players available until the end of the window and January could be tough without reinforcements arriving quickly. Let’s hope for some good news on arrivals soon!

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Sorry but your argument doesn't convince me.
Loaning is renting in practice. I don't know if you have bought your own house but I will assume you have. If I were to say that in the short term renting is less expensive than buying a house and in the worst case scenario and the house burns down you can walk away without a problem. Now be honest if you could turn the clock back would you choose to rent?
I'm not trying to convince you, as this isn't the playground of a Court House that you are well practiced in! I'm putting up reasons why the loan system works, albeit it has pitfalls too.
No longer have a mortgage all paid off thanks, but the nature of my work means I visit numerous properties in a week which has a mix of home owners and renters, so I'm well familiar on the benefits and down sides of both.
Having been lucky to be in my generation, no I wouldn't go back and instead rent instead of buying, but todays generation would be better renting rather than buying. The idea of owning is great but only if you have the deposable finances to fund all the maintenance, repairs, upgrades etc.
Isn't that the same in football? Those at the top don't rent/loan they just buy and if it doesn't work just offload at a loss, not something we can do at our level, so we do a mixture or spread your bets if you like.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I even wondered if Devitt was signed against the possibility of Twine being recalled.
Maybe. Devitt is potentially a like for like replacement for Twine but needs to now live up to his reputation and has big boots to fill. I think he will do just that, particularly with a run in the side and obviously if we can extend his loan. Blackpool want rid so fingers crossed it should be a no brainer for both parties.
Ryan Taylor comes back in, hopefully staying fit for the rest of the season and part addresses our lack of firepower up top. Positionally wouldn't replace either Lewis or Webb but would like to see Janneh and Proctor replaced with at least one striker. Ched Evans?
Let's hope we keep hold of Sheehan.
Based on the above I see no reason why we can't maintain our form until May.

County-at-the-races wrote:
...... Those at the top don't rent/loan they just buy and if it doesn't work just offload at a loss, not something we can do at our level, so we do a mixture or spread your bets if you like.
Oddly though clubs at our level could afford to offload loss. This was done by ensuring that by proper management you signed more gems than duds. All the present system does is keep clubs 'In their place.

As for the point that there are upsides and downsides to everything, that's true. However my point is that the that balance is massively in favour of the down.

One little thing I don't understand is why in a debate you are not trying to convince me, your opponent, that you are correct. Debate to be constructive entails trying to persuade others you are right whilst being open to yourself being wrong. This confuses me and I am interested in whether you think the loan system is good or bad for football at our level.