Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albion

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Ugo.

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby Ugo. » January 10th, 2021, 11:40 pm

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
In fact, the more I think about this, MF has 'thrown Collins under the bus' with this decision. It was rash and could damage the lad's confidence, not to mention we had no-one with any energy after we did take the game to ET.

Substituting a substitute is very rarely done unless there's an injury, at that stage if I was convinced I wanted both Proctor and Ellison on the pitch as one last throw of the dice I'd have taken off Bennett or Haynes instead of Collins, not because they were playing badly (they didn't) but because Collins had more in the tank to offer.

If I was Collins I'd be kicking a few water bottles round the dressing room tonight and then respectfully asking MF for an explanation tomorrow.


I am sure Flynn explained to him why. There was seconds left and he wanted 3 target men up top to whack it up to. It would have been suicide to leave Collins on with those 3 on as he would have had to take another Midfielder/Defender off and we would have lost shape if we managed to score (and we did) . Don't think he's been thrown under the bus just the priority changed and he was the obvious one to take off, also a shame Dolan had to come off but again he was the obvious other so that we could go to a back 4 and not lose shape in midfield.
no avatar
User

DeePeeNCAFC

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby DeePeeNCAFC » January 10th, 2021, 11:52 pm

It's funny, and makes for good debate, that we can all watch the same game yet see things differently.

I thought Collins was full of energy, he made a great block in our penalty area yet still chased down his own clearance as no-one else had the energy to do so. He'd have made an adequate wing-back if we were forced to take off a defender, he's played there before.

My view is taking him off in the 91st minute to bring on a 41yo with - at that point - an outside chance of playing an extra 30mins was a 'last throw of the dice' and not thought through by our management team. I'd be seething if I was Collins but I guess that's why I'm not a pro footballer.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » January 11th, 2021, 12:01 am

As it would seem no Abrahams for Sat, and with our other striking options all lacking pace i.e Amond . Taylor and Proctor I would start with Collins Sat with one of the aforementioned. It would have the added benefit of showing the manager still has faith in him.
User avatar
User

County Exile

Location

Frome, Somerset

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby County Exile » January 11th, 2021, 12:10 am

Maybe Jake Scrimshaw. Apparently he is quite pacy.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby faerun exile » January 11th, 2021, 12:18 am

Good effort tonight - seems disappointing to lose due to our previous cup exploits. Biggest plus for me was DLK doing well. Hopefully we already have the CBs we need to finish the season well. Good to have Taylor back too plus Scrimshaw and Windsor will add some pace - closing down oppo defence will lead to a goal or 2 on our pitch at the very least.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » January 11th, 2021, 12:21 am

faerun exile wrote:Good effort tonight - seems disappointing to lose due to our previous cup exploits. Biggest plus for me was DLK doing well. Hopefully we already have the CBs we need to finish the season well. Good to have Taylor back too plus Scrimshaw and Windsor will add some pace - closing down oppo defence will lead to a goal or 2 on our pitch at the very least.

Was thinking along the same lines. Hope we are proved right.
no avatar
User

County ranger

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby County ranger » January 11th, 2021, 8:04 am

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's funny, and makes for good debate, that we can all watch the same game yet see things differently.

I thought Collins was full of energy, he made a great block in our penalty area yet still chased down his own clearance as no-one else had the energy to do so. He'd have made an adequate wing-back if we were forced to take off a defender, he's played there before.

My view is taking him off in the 91st minute to bring on a 41yo with - at that point - an outside chance of playing an extra 30mins was a 'last throw of the dice' and not thought through by our management team. I'd be seething if I was Collins but I guess that's why I'm not a pro footballer.

I am not sure a Collins kick and hope and run after it, is the quality we need! I think he is unlikely to make it with us and would not be surprised to see him and Willmott go out on loan. Otherwise very good performance, LK suggests Cooper leaving will not be an issue.
no avatar
User

Collars

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby Collars » January 11th, 2021, 8:09 am

County ranger wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's funny, and makes for good debate, that we can all watch the same game yet see things differently.

I thought Collins was full of energy, he made a great block in our penalty area yet still chased down his own clearance as no-one else had the energy to do so. He'd have made an adequate wing-back if we were forced to take off a defender, he's played there before.

My view is taking him off in the 91st minute to bring on a 41yo with - at that point - an outside chance of playing an extra 30mins was a 'last throw of the dice' and not thought through by our management team. I'd be seething if I was Collins but I guess that's why I'm not a pro footballer.

I am not sure a Collins kick and hope and run after it, is the quality we need! I think he is unlikely to make it with us and would not be surprised to see him and Willmott go out on loan. Otherwise very good performance, LK suggests Cooper leaving will not be an issue.


Flynny was constantly screaming at him to chase stuff down. I didn’t think he worked hard enough to defend from the front and let some defenders run past him quite easily. I guess that’s why Flynny took him off - plus the need to put a few big lads up top. It left us a bit unbalanced for extra time but needs must at the time. Hopefully one or two more new faces can bring in a bit more end product and we’ll make a good fist of the promotion push. I really don’t fancy the play-offs again plus I think automatic gives you an advantage as you have a few extra weeks to plan for league one.
no avatar
User

flat4

Location

Newport/on the road

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby flat4 » January 11th, 2021, 8:20 am

While we have been treated to yet another rollercoaster of a game, and a few £ in the bank. Sadly two elements were missing last night, the ability to score goals and a couple of players that have gone back to their parent club`s, the run in to the end of the season is going to be yet another rollercoaster ride with a number of teams around us coming into a run of form, while we seem to going off the boil, buckle up and enjoy what lay`s ahead.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby George Street-Bridge » January 11th, 2021, 8:36 am

Collins wasn't moving right, I wondered if he'd turned an ankle.
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby Kairdiff Exile » January 11th, 2021, 9:03 am

flat4 wrote:the run in to the end of the season is going to be yet another rollercoaster ride with a number of teams around us coming into a run of form, while we seem to going off the boil, buckle up and enjoy what lay`s ahead.

I'm not sure that's fair. We were up against a first division side last night and we held our own. The rest of our games this season will be against fourth division sides. We mustn't be complacent; indeed, we'll need to raise our game for those matches just as we did last night and to perform at a high level - but if we can add a few fresh faces to the squad to provide cover at CB and possibly a bit of midfield creativity so there's competition for places, there's every reason for optimism.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby George Street-Bridge » January 11th, 2021, 9:30 am

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:As it would seem no Abrahams for Sat


Argus says Abrahams will be back at training Tuesday, they all have a day off today.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby faerun exile » January 11th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Just an aside but thought ref Lee Mason had a very good game.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby Willthiswork » January 11th, 2021, 1:57 pm

faerun exile wrote:Just an aside but thought ref Lee Mason had a very good game.
No bookings.
no avatar
User

llanwern exile

Location

Usually in the milton

Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

Postby llanwern exile » January 11th, 2021, 2:09 pm

We have a really tough january ahead of us with 5 games in 14 days and a tough 5 games at that, salford and carlisle at home, cheltenham oldham and harrogate away, if we come out of that lot still in the top 3 i will start to believe
PreviousNext

Who is online

Powered by phpBB ®