Re: Wilfried Bony

UPTHEPORT wrote:Can't see what people are moaning about the Club getting good PR and players will look at us hang on a minute this Club looks a good place to go good training facilities that can attract premium league players

And Flynny thinks it gives the team a boost

We can attract 'premium league players?'

We had Bony and Ledley training with us... neither signed
Bony wet to Swansea and asked them to train with them.... They turned him down
Bony is only with us be cause in his own words... "his friendship with Flynn''

Fact is, he is USING US whilst trying to get a BETTER DEAL elsewhere. We, IMO, don't benefit from it apart from a story in the Argus and Bony and his agent trying to grt him a deal anywhere in the world willing to pay him upwards of £50kper week. This for a guy who has done nothing for the last 5 years or so.
There's hardly a queue trying to sign him for his on field displays during this time even though there are quite a few teams who need strikers of the quality he sees himself in, whilst chasing such a wage as he warrants.
Saying that it's a nice position to find yourself that you can wait 6 months a year chasing a contract that may never turn up isn't it?

As I said before our strikers didn't benefit from him last season (we tailed off).
And since he has been with us we failed to score for the first time in a league game this season.
Obviously having a great impact on out strikers.
Perhaps we'll grab a bag full at Cheltenham tomorrow night and prove me wrong.

Why would you expect him to have an impact on the strikers? We're a League 2 club, he's not a coach. If he was able to turn them into goalscorers in a couple of training sessions every club in the world will be after him for their coaching staff. We could bring Messi into training for a couple of weeks and Abrahams won't suddenly be bagging hat-tricks every game.

You could just as easily put forward the argument that we had a brilliant defence last season because they were training with a striker with Premier League experience. He had no impact, and we shouldn't expect him to.

JonD wrote:[OFF TOPIC]
Bavarian Tyrol? Is Stan anticipating some border shifts between now and then?
[/OFF TOPIC]
I remember the story of an aged Professor being asked whether he was watching the football on the tv that evening. He asked what game? To which he got the reply “ Austria-Hungary “. The old prof looked confused and asked “ yes, but who are they playing? “

I'm fairly relaxed about it all. I'm sure before too long either Bony or his agent is going to realise that the footballing world is not pulling up trees to sign him up.

I see no problem in allowing him to train with us to keep his fitness levels up. But I suspect he's nowhere near as good a footballer now as he seems to think he is.