Re: Wilfried Bony

flat4 wrote:As he has stated he would not sign for Newport County (seems we are not good enough) but he is willing to use our facilities which we the Fans/Owners fund, HE SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE DOOR AND TOLD NOT TO COME BACK.

Totally agree.
He is also wearing our training gear with his initials on them in photos I have seen... Who is paying for them... Him or us??
MF may think he is a good influence around the training ground and may help our striking force out, although the evidence isn't there yet given the form of the strikers and their goal records so far this season,.
I just see it as a media stunt and helping a mate seek work
He keeps fit then buggers off when and if he gets a contract by living off his past history almost a decade ago. MF gets the story on the BBC and Argus about a former Premier League player training with little old Newport County.. Then you read between the lines and see its only benefiting him.
I believe he asked Swansea first to see if he could keep fit by training with them... They turned him down, then he rocked up at Spytty between clubs..

Given his record over the last 5 years since leaving Swansea of only playing 50 games, would he be that good anyway., especially on our pitch?

Totally agree.
It would be nice to know who has payed for his initialled training kit and COVID testing.
If he has paid for them, then fair enough.
If not then it is more money wasted (maybe not great in the scheme of things).
But it would be annoying when we have had to do crowd funding on several occasions this season to raise cash.
Either come and play for us on a county salary or stopping taking advantage of us.
Or has he made a donation to the club??

"Then I decided to go to train with Newport. My friend is there - the coach [Mike] Flynn. We have a great relationship so when I asked him he said: 'Yeah, come.'

"They help me a lot - the same as last year. I say thanks to them."

Bony says there is no chance of him signing for Newport, but he would be interested in signing for a club higher up the English ladder. (BBC Sport)

PortandSud wrote:"Then I decided to go to train with Newport. My friend is there - the coach [Mike] Flynn. We have a great relationship so when I asked him he said: 'Yeah, come.'

"They help me a lot - the same as last year. I say thanks to them."

Bony says there is no chance of him signing for Newport, but he would be interested in signing for a club higher up the English ladder. (BBC Sport)

Yes this was the same article that I read, but chose not to show it, it also seems that MF has become bigger than the club, you would like to think the board was asked before hand, if that is the case then they are all bang out of order if they sanctioned it.

Guys. This sort of thing happens a lot in football so I wouldn't waste any energy or get wound up about it.

Players who are out of contract, returning from playing abroad and need some training facilities, even injured players seeking physio help - they regularly rock up at their local club or somewhere they've played previously in order to get fit and back in the shop window. It's what happens in the football community.

He won't sign for us and remains unattached to any club. MF has done the right thing allowing him to train and use our facilities - it make the club look good, professional and trusted. Maybe when Bony does leave and sign for another team perhaps his plan is to auction his County training gear for charity, who knows?

Blackandamber wrote:Isn't he breaking Covid regulations? He's unemployed so can't be classed as an elite sportsman. If you or I decided to meet up with people outside our bubble for training or playing football etc we'd be fined.

As he hasn't retired or changed profession, I guess he is still classed as a professional footballer and would therefore be an 'elite sportsman' .. How can unemployed pro footballers earn a contract without training with a club?
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 18th, 2021, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:Isn't he breaking Covid regulations? He's unemployed so can't be classed as an elite sportsman. If you or I decided to meet up with people outside our bubble for training or playing football etc we'd be fined.

As he hasn't retired or changed profession, I guess he is still classed as a professional footballer and would therefore be an 'elite sportsman' .. How can unemployed pro footballers earn a contract without training with a club?
But he is not trying to earn a contract with Newport County. It is simply a case of his friend allowing him to use the County's training facilities. I'm not allowed to have a kick about in the local park with a few friends without getting a fine.

Blackandamber wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

But he is not trying to earn a contract with Newport County. It is simply a case of his friend allowing him to use the County's training facilities. I'm not allowed to have a kick about in the local park with a few friends without getting a fine.

He is trying to earn a contract though and his agent is in talks with clubs.
I know it's dangerous to assume, BUT, I imagine the club has got the all clear to do this seeing as the press have interviewed Flynny, Bony and has been reported in various news outlets......surely the club are not THAT stupid.