Re: THE PITCH

There seems little or no chance of spectators being allowed into grounds so,Spytty has changing rooms and a pitch,that’s all you need to play behind closed doors.Surely the pitch is in better nick than RP.The ground staff at RP would appreciate the break and the EFL would probably be happy to consider it.No need for fans to moan that it is a mile out of town and nowhere near boozers and the shed needs work done as no one is allowed anyway.

Percy plunkett wrote:There seems little or no chance of spectators being allowed into grounds so,Spytty has changing rooms and a pitch,that’s all you need to play behind closed doors.Surely the pitch is in better nick than RP.The ground staff at RP would appreciate the break and the EFL would probably be happy to consider it.No need for fans to moan that it is a mile out of town and nowhere near boozers and the shed needs work done as no one is allowed anyway.
We move out from Rodney Parade. I follow your logic thus far. We not only play on a better pitch we save on rent.

Unfortunately I rather suspect come next August the WRU might not be overly supportive of our return.

Percy plunkett wrote:There seems little or no chance of spectators being allowed into grounds so,Spytty has changing rooms and a pitch,that’s all you need to play behind closed doors.Surely the pitch is in better nick than RP.The ground staff at RP would appreciate the break and the EFL would probably be happy to consider it.No need for fans to moan that it is a mile out of town and nowhere near boozers and the shed needs work done as no one is allowed anyway.
Don't think its as simple as that - recall a lot of TV infrastructure had to be installed at RP in order for highlights etc to be relayed so soon after a match. I guess that's one of the reasons Wales Women football, Cardiff Blues etc use RP as opposed to other available stadiums.

When I started watching football even the pitches in the first division were as bad as or worse than RP in January. However the players still managed to play good football. Not the same style as played nowadays but still good to watch. It seems that the modern player can't cope with bobbling pitches because they've not been brought up on them. It didn't stop the likes of Best or Greaves.

Turned-ankle injuries notwithstanding, it's always seemed to me that there is a lot of benefit to ball-work training on "ploughed field"-type pitches. You get into a habit of anticipating bobbles, and over time you improve your ball control. Worked for me as a nipper. Then, when you move to the carpet-like pitches you have an added advantage.

Get them training over Undy, Magor, ..., RP.

Seems to me that the pitch could do with a light roll before the start of each half. (Joking! I know compaction will then likely have an effect on drainage.)

Thinking outside the box, in training, get them playing football with rugby balls to get used to awkward bounces and bobbles. That would be hysterical to watch.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
We move out from Rodney Parade. I follow your logic thus far. We not only play on a better pitch we save on rent.

Unfortunately I rather suspect come next August the WRU might not be overly supportive of our return.
We are within 18 months of being shown the door in any event, so let’s go now whilst we have some time to reorganise.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:It is what it is until they do the upgrade
It will still be grossly overused, and why would the WRU want to spend money on a new hybrid when we only have a little over 12 months of our lease left? With us gone they can then lay their preferred artificial option.
Believe the County's lease is until June 2023?

County-at-the-races wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: Nothing we can do about it except adapt our game. I know it's stating the obvious but it will be the same for both sides.
Difference being away sides on our pitch will settle for a draw, as the home side we need to win on it
Wasn't that the case when the pitch was decent?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Then so be it,the £250k we spend on the RP pitch every year can be spent on Spytty’s pitch.How much to relay that pitch,less than £250k,it wouldn’t be Desso but,only us and NCFC playing on it.No scrummaging,no rucking and mauling.We could play our new passing game all year round.Fix the problem with the shed,have a new bigger clubhouse built to keep fans happy.Spytty was never perfect and never will be but,no worries about rugby messing the pitch up by Christmas.

We are within 18 months of being shown the door in any event, so let’s go now whilst we have some time to reorganise.
My deepest regret is that we don't have any time to reorganize. My view is that there are now only two options. The WRU continue to juice us. Squeeze us for every last penny or we return to Spytty and within a few seasons Conference South, or whatever it's called these days.

It's not that I think you're wrong, it's just I think we should have been doing this years ago.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
My deepest regret is that we don't have any time to reorganize. My view is that there are now only two options. The WRU continue to juice us. Squeeze us for every last penny or we return to Spytty and within a few seasons Conference South, or whatever it's called these days.

It's not that I think you're wrong, it's just I think we should have been doing this years ago.
Why would we be back in Connie South.We now are established in EFL,our fan base has increased and,if we produce a product like we have this season then,how would we end up backdown.The ground is a mile further down the road,if it was the top of Twmbarlwm then I could understand fans saying it’s too far away.