Re: 1912 Exiles Podcast: David Buttress Interview! (Dragons

Will this work is bang on, that's exactly what any forward thinking city council would do, especially with the impact of the pandemic it shows how important health is and so sure there would be support with grants and loans and funding there from gov't especially.
If we could get us and the rugby together and I mean fans as well as clubs then it's very do-able. but we've said all this for years so I won't hold my breath.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:The council could get involved by swapping some land, by the Uni building for the cabbage patch, and making RP the 'sporting quarter' with the new Leisure Centre being built there?
I think I read that the land by the Uni building is being used to replace Nash Tech. That said, long term that leaves the large Nash Tech site free.
The latest news from the council was that the land between the uni and the bingo hall was going to be used for the new leisure centre.

PMG wrote:We could build a 3G community stadium that Newpory rugby could use as well as the community that’s if we can’t fit a new football stadium on the cabbage patch
The cabbage patch could be converted into a 3G pitch for Newport rugby. The requirements for a semi-pro rugby team are not as stringent and a lower-state stadium could fit there nicely. This would leave the actual stadium for Dragons and County.

A North Stand structure could also host both stadiums and the squash club?

The general suggestions and options that are proposed on this thread are basically what Barnet FC did when they developed and moved to The Hive.

The stadium is a modular design that has been added to several times and the whole emphasis is on community use. The only issue for them was doing a Wimbledon and moving out of the borough into Harrow. And they've recently had planning refused for hotel and a five storey car park development......

Willthiswork wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Of course you would also lose pretty much all onsite car parking. .
Still have the school next door for parking.
There is no chance whatsoever of a development that proposes to borrow car parking for weekend and evening matchdays, as if any new development will be 'lock and leave' for 80% of the time. Anything developed now will need to have a convincing business model for 7 day use across multiple user groups. You can add sustainability, green travel plans, flood alleviation strategies etc etc.

My opinion is that for the council to help RP to be developed, it will need Spytty to be disposed of.

Perhaps a land swap of the cabbage patch, with Spytty going to who ever is daft enough to buy the Dragons franchise.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I think the answer is two teams sharing, BUT both have to carry the name Newport - which the Dragons have excised, relatively recently. Mr Buttress might gain some support if he came out and pledged that if his consortium takes over they will immediately restore it.
Therein lies the problem. Buttress arrived at the Dragons in September 2017 and hasn’t exactly turned things round. Dragons on and off the pitch have continued their fall to the bottom of the pile. Comfortably and consistently the worst team / franchise in UK and Ireland. Hope I’m proved wrong but don’t see too many game changing investors in his white elephant.