1912 Exiles Podcast: David Buttress Interview! (Dragons CEO)

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

MUST LISTEN!

After a brief Twitter altercation regarding the state of the Rodney Parade pitch, Dragons Rugby CEO and former Just Eat founder David Buttress joins the podcast for a chat on all manner of things;

- What are the challenges with Rodney Parade and why were Cardiff Blues invited?

- What does his proposed takeover of Dragons Rugby mean for Newport County

- He talks of previous "bad leadership" and the challenges to overcome in the relationship between football and rugby in Newport. Going so far as to provide detail with some of his frustrations on his first few years as chairman of the rugby side.

- Has his father, a longtime Newport County supporter ever asked him to get involved with NCAFC and would he be open to the hybrid model of ownership in future?

- We discuss sporting tribalism and its place in Newport

There is much, much more discussed in this extensive talk and is not to be missed, David pulls no punches across many subjects, some quite sensitive to some!

As always, drop us a line via Twitter or Facebook with any feedback. Please also recommend us to your mates, leave glowing reviews and just generally share the love.

Music: Virgo by Sean T.

http://tinyurl.com/1912exiles

Re: 1912 Exiles Podcast: David Buttress Interview! (Dragons

Fully merging Dragons and County, joint season tickets, getting the City Council to work in harmony to promote success for our city. I said all this years ago. For f@ck's sake. Gavin, Kevin et al, the door is open. Stop this behind closed doors bollox. Talk to this man now, jointly approach the Local Authority, and do it publicly.

After 30 odd years you have a chance to actually move our club forward. Don't f@ck this up.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Fully merging Dragons and County, joint season tickets, getting the City Council to work in harmony to promote success for our city. I said all this years ago. For f@ck's sake. Gavin, Kevin et al, the door is open. Stop this behind closed doors bollox. Talk to this man now, jointly approach the Local Authority, and do it publicly.

After 30 odd years you have a chance to actually move our club forward. Don't f@ck this up.
Hang on, hang on, hang on. Has someone hacked your account? You have constantly banged on about needing our own stadium to survive and how the club are a shambles for not planning to build their own stadium. In fact, you’ve literally just said “we are dying a death at RP”. You’re a waffle chatter of the highest order Stanley.

weownourclub wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Fully merging Dragons and County, joint season tickets, getting the City Council to work in harmony to promote success for our city. I said all this years ago. For f@ck's sake. Gavin, Kevin et al, the door is open. Stop this behind closed doors bollox. Talk to this man now, jointly approach the Local Authority, and do it publicly.

Hang on, hang on, hang on. Has someone hacked your account? You have constantly banged on about needing our own stadium to survive and how the club are a shambles for not planning to build their own stadium. In fact, you’ve literally just said “we are dying a death at RP”. You’re a waffle chatter of the highest order Stanley.
No.
I have always said that the best option would be for the Dragons and County to work together. What I don't believe is that it can work out with County being an unequal partner. And with the WRU owning Rodney Parade then that was the reality.
If necessary I will trawl back through my posts to prove this. So please have the good sense to stop talking bollox.

I for one am a little old fashioned in as much as, although my passion is County biased, I actually want every facet of Newport sporting life to be successful, be it football, rugby or whatever.

Am I being a tad suspicious, that In the midst of a worldwide pandemic he’s chosen now to come out with all of this ? Surely he’s had a previous window to voice all of this ? (Perhaps he has to which I would apologise).

Let’s hope there is a scenario where we can all live in harmony .... I for one wouldnt “just” blame the current board if it didn’t actually happen though.
Last edited by Justanordinaryfan on January 19th, 2021, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's an elephant in the room - with someone so eloquent in charge for a while now, why are the Dragons still such chronic under-performers on the pitch?

For me too many things on his wish list are incompatible. He wrings his hands about hosting too many games a year after the pitch should have been replaced, but admits inviting Cardiff Blues in for the money rather than take the opportunity to protect it.

I'm strongly with him on a two-club solution. Clearly the Dragons want NRFC out of Rodney Parade - and a football podcast is a good non-rugby outlet to float the idea - but didn't the WRU guarantee them tenure?

Jonesy3 wrote:As lovely as this all sounds, it doesn't change the fact that the WRU are and will remain the owners of Rodney Parade.
Buttress aims to buy the Dragons franchise back from the WRU and then negotiate a long-term lease to continue playing at RP.
That's always been the case. Nothing has changed. There's nothing new in the interview.
I'm pleased he said he wanted two successful professional teams there so that can only be us because nrfc are now semi pro

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:As lovely as this all sounds, it doesn't change the fact that the WRU are and will remain the owners of Rodney Parade.
Buttress aims to buy the Dragons franchise back from the WRU and then negotiate a long-term lease to continue playing at RP.
That's always been the case. Nothing has changed. There's nothing new in the interview.
I'm pleased he said he wanted two successful professional teams there so that can only be us because nrfc are now semi pro
Newport RFC can play at RP for as long as the Dragons do so unless Buttress can make it untenable (increasing matchday costs) I can't see them relocating from their home. Can't see Newport RFC moving elsewhere without a fight.

Just listened to this podcast, very interesting to hear what Mr Buttress proposals for the Dragon`s and what his vision for the future would be under private ownership would be.
With the WRU still being the owners of Rodney Parade, he would like to secure a long term lease with them for the Privately owned Dragons to run the facility as they see fit.
That is my view of what he was indicating in the interview.

faerun exile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Newport RFC can play at RP for as long as the Dragons do so unless Buttress can make it untenable (increasing matchday costs) I can't see them relocating from their home. Can't see Newport RFC moving elsewhere without a fight.
Buttress was also asking the Council to become involved, but didn't mention in what way. It has long been assumed that the cabbage patch would be sold for private development to fund the stadium redevelopment. However it hasn't happened, and the planning has lapsed. Purely speculation, but I wonder if the Council have a use for the Cabbage patch that would justify purchasing the whole site from the WRU.