Re: Grandstand - Cheltenham v Exiles

George Street-Bridge wrote:I would have bitten your hand off for a point at HT, it looked like there was at least a division between the teams because both were passing straight to red shirts. I think Cheltenham were casual with their chances because they knew they'd soon get another.

I think it must have been one of those days when it's easier to play against the wind. (Goal apart - I honestly thought you weren't allowed to score direct from a GK and Scrimshaw must have got a touch.) We looked so much better with the subs on. Labadie came into it with more muscle alongside him and at least we spent time in possession in their half, even if we never looked like scoring again.
Yes you can score direct from a goal kick but you can't score an own goal if that happens it's a corner kick

George Street-Bridge wrote:Logically, of course it makes sense that if you can score direct from a corner the same applies.

Clearly your logic is correct. However in football, as in life, something being logical and something being correct are not necessarily the same thing. I too believed that a goal could not be scored from a goal kick. And until 1997 our belief was correct. (I checked last night.) T'was then the rule was changed. Bit like the ball going forward from the kick off, playing the ball when lying on the ground, changes happen all the time and an honestly held belief can and often is wrong.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Logically, of course it makes sense that if you can score direct from a corner the same applies.

Clearly your logic is correct. However in football, as in life, something being logical and something being correct are not necessarily the same thing. I too believed that a goal could not be scored from a goal kick. And until 1997 our belief was correct. (I checked last night.) T'was then the rule was changed. Bit like the ball going forward from the kick off, playing the ball when lying on the ground, changes happen all the time and an honestly held belief can and often is wrong.
That's why every pre season every club no matter how small has the law's of the game sent to them and who ever receives it has to sign to say the Club understands the law changes before they can start a season
Now does that person pass on to everyone else in the club is a different matter

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

That's why every pre season every club no matter how small has the law's of the game sent to them and who ever receives it has to sign to say the Club understands the law changes before they can start a season
Now does that person pass on to everyone else in the club is a different matter
Might be an idea to print the closed season law changes in the first matchday programme.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I decided they must have changed the law at the same time they did on kicking off.
You were approximately 20 years out. Goal kick goals allowed since 1997, but scoring direct from a kick off only since 2018. :lol:

I thought Scrimshaw looked like every other Flynn January striker signing - short bloke who runs around a lot and works hard - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We're (obviously) missing Twine particularly in the away games, and especially on vaguely decent pitches. But let's be honest, I think we'd have taken a point away to Cheltenham with Cooper, Twine and Sheehan missing - trouble is two of them aren't coming back. Longe-King has done FAR better than I thought he was going to though, must be playing well to keep Howkins out.

SJG99 wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:I decided they must have changed the law at the same time they did on kicking off.
You were approximately 20 years out. Goal kick goals allowed since 1997, but scoring direct from a kick off only since 2018. :lol:

I thought Scrimshaw looked like every other Flynn January striker signing - short bloke who runs around a lot and works hard - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We're (obviously) missing Twine particularly in the away games, and especially on vaguely decent pitches. But let's be honest, I think we'd have taken a point away to Cheltenham with Cooper, Twine and Sheehan missing - trouble is two of them aren't coming back. Longe-King has done FAR better than I thought he was going to though, must be playing well to keep Howkins out.
On the basis of the video promo,I had a feeling Longe King could be a good signing,so I sponsored his shirt.I have also sponsored Woodiwiss but still waiting for Flynny on that one.