Re: Grandstand - Cheltenham v Exiles

Good Evening

I think most are happy with the point, regardless of the way it was earned. The table looks good, but secretly I think we are all surprised we are still so high.
I would just like to see two things, one, someone to run at defenders with the ball at pace. This causes a bit of panic especially if beating the first man. Secondly a winger ( wing back?) to go down the line and put a cross in with attackers running into the box. Maybe we currently haven’t got those types of players?
Let’s hope something special turns up in the wheeling and dealing!

Phil in Northampton

Coxy wrote:A good point away from home. We've had some tough games since before xmas. Still only lost 4 games. Lots of top sides dropping points week in week out. Hopefully we can sign a goalscorer. We do need a win very soon now though.
Harry Kane wouldn’t score with the service our forwards receive - if they had stood on the terraces they would have been closer to a number of King’s punts. We have no one to whip a decent cross one, the only cross we managed from Labs too high but caused a bit of panic in Cheltenham defence. We need someone in midfield and a review of tactics I also am not sure Haynes and Shepherd are wing backs - like them both but neither have a final ball in them.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Coxy wrote:A good point away from home. We've had some tough games since before xmas. Still only lost 4 games. Lots of top sides dropping points week in week out. Hopefully we can sign a goalscorer. We do need a win very soon now though.
It’s midfield where we are short,hence Willmott starting.
Agree, and how’s that working for us ? :roll:
We all know Willmott is a right winger and no more than that - he really just is not a midfielder.
I was marvelling also at this player Scrimshaw, it was nearly halftime before he even touched the ball. We were carrying too many passengers tonight.

lowandhard wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
It’s midfield where we are short,hence Willmott starting.
Agree, and how’s that working for us ? :roll:
We all know Willmott is a right winger and no more than that - he really just is not a midfielder.
I was marvelling also at this player Scrimshaw, it was nearly halftime before he even touched the ball. We were carrying too many passengers tonight.
Yes he's a right winger. He can't play in two positions like Tom King.

I’m sorry but for me Willmott contributes nothing any more. Too weak in the tackle, not demanding enough of the ball, stands around with his hands tucked in his sleeves trying to keep warm. As a winger he is the one I would expect to whip in dangerous crosses but most of his balls are safe lobs into the box. Hoping to see some new faces rather than the same old which doesn’t work.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Not watching tonight. Can anyone describe it please. Goal kick, out of hand, free kick??
From the floor in 6 yard box. I think Phil's explanation is right.
On checking a goal can be scored direct from a goal kick. Rule changed in 1997. We live and learn. What with this and the Bavarian Tyrol that's two errors and it's still January.

I'm getting old. :(

Like many others, I thought before the start we would loose this game by a single goal, but to come away with a point is outrageous, looking at the stat`s for the game, you have to say we definitely are lacking any creativity both on the field of play and management, on a positive note all the teams around us seem to also have lost the plot. Oldham away on Saturday !!!!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Not watching tonight. Can anyone describe it please. Goal kick, out of hand, free kick??
From the floor in 6 yard box. I think Phil's explanation is right.
On checking a goal can be scored direct from a goal kick. Rule changed in 1997. We live and learn. What with this and the Bavarian Tyrol that's two errors and it's still January.

I'm getting old. :(
The year is young yet :grin: Brendan - I’ve pm’d you.

The only rule I know about a goal kick is that you cannot be offside from it. We used to use this in windy Pembs many years ago. One of our big guys would take the goal kick and a pacey winger would stand about 10 yards behind the back line. If the wind was right the ball would sail over and he’d pick it up and score.

The defenders ignored him as they thought he was offside. We had a few goals disallowed and it got to the stage that if it was a windy day (invariably was), we would remind the ref beforehand that you can’t be offside from a goal kick. It was amazing how many of them didn’t realise.

I would have bitten your hand off for a point at HT, it looked like there was at least a division between the teams because both were passing straight to red shirts. I think Cheltenham were casual with their chances because they knew they'd soon get another.

I think it must have been one of those days when it's easier to play against the wind. (Goal apart - I honestly thought you weren't allowed to score direct from a GK and Scrimshaw must have got a touch.) We looked so much better with the subs on. Labadie came into it with more muscle alongside him and at least we spent time in possession in their half, even if we never looked like scoring again.