Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Southend

Ugo. wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:They made a substitution and then had a spell where they passed and controlled our right side.They then had two near misses but,Flynny did nothing to stop their flow or change shape,they then score.Flynny should have been proactive but waits,hoping things will work out.He then has to react to something that we all could see coming,his master plan,throw on forwards and just launch it.
He threw on the forwards before they scored. 71st minute, they scored 3 minutes later, make of that what you will
That makes it worse,they have too much space so,take off a DM player to give them more space and replace him with a striker,but don’t give him any decent ball.If Lewis was to come on then,it was then to cover their left offensive play and close out their space.

Well done to the groundstaff for doing a good job on a crap pitch. First half was possibly the worst half of football i've seen. Shocking from both sides. We started brighter 2nd half but faded quickly. They realised how bad we were and became the better side. Should have got a point but it was very poor. We need our players back now and need to start playing proper football on better pitches. Our destiny might lie with our away form and just get as many points as possible on that pitch. If i win the euromillions the club can have a chunk of it cos you can player better footy down my allotment and i ain't be down there for 18 months. Anyway, as i said to the wife half hour ago, i ain't talking about it.

We always here the term "the pitch is a leveller".

It has worked in our favour many times over the years against better opposition, who knows, if we had a carpet to play on in Jan we may never have beaten Leeds, Leicester and Middlesbrough.. Or drew with Spurs.

Is it a case now where the pitch is leveller for teams like Grimbsy and Southend? We haven't adapted to the pitch this year, Flynn said months ago we have a squad that can do both the pretty stuff and ugly stuff.. Appears we are caught somewhere in the middle.

Ok my take. For the first time ever as a County fan I didn’t want us to equalise . Southend deserved it, they wanted it more, they found their men better and they were more creative.
Chucking four forwards on without creating anything is a f*cking waste of time as is the performances atm. We are sh!t and got what we deserved. I say this and am willing to take the flack of the w@nky happy clappers who know f*ck all about football who post on the message board. Who thought that our creativity was down to Twine after all? ( apart from most of us ) - we should have strained a bollock to keep him here. Let’s hope we get 51 points :shock: :roll: because on that outing I’m just concerned about safety not promotion. Jeez are we poor or what? This is not a blip, this is a collapse.

I'm actually glad that it's unlikely that we'll go up this season. I don't want the history books to record that this team are only the 3rd County side in the football league to gain promotion. I don't know about the pre-war promotion team but the current team are not fit to lace the boots of the 1979/80 team. There's not one player in the current team who would have got into that side. Maybe Townsend. Also if we went up we'd come straight back down again and probably back to non-league the season after.

Plumley, Walden, Oakes, Davies, Relish, Lowndes, Vaughan, Bailey, Moore, Tynan, Aldridge, Gwyther, Goddard.Have I missed anyone? And that side only finished 3rd. It seems that standards are far lower in the 4th tier than they were. Maybe it's because teams higher up the pyramid have such huge squads compared to olden days.

Jack wrote:
lowandhard wrote:This is not a blip, this is a collapse.
The form table wouldn't disagree... :|

Thanks for that, as I said I’m looking down not up. In the old days I prayed for p46 pts 46 now we probably need 51 pts so that’s my aim - safety. The way we’re playing is dreadful, the pitch was the same for both teams and they did well in finding their men and created a couple of chances : what we were up to is totally beyond me. I’ve been better on “ only connect “.

The Salamander wrote:We always here the term "the pitch is a leveller".

It has worked in our favour many times over the years against better opposition, who knows, if we had a carpet to play on in Jan we may never have beaten Leeds, Leicester and Middlesbrough.. Or drew with Spurs.

Is it a case now where the pitch is leveller for teams like Grimbsy and Southend? We haven't adapted to the pitch this year, Flynn said months ago we have a squad that can do both the pretty stuff and ugly stuff.. Appears we are caught somewhere in the middle.
Yes agree with this post.
Other teams have either come here and won or given us a close run.
So I don’t buy into this pitch thing,
Even though the pitch is bad and doesn’t help.
If the pitch is our excuse for not playing football at home then what is our excuse for away loses?
Still be positive we are in the mix and higher than most of us (me included) could have hoped and predicted,

Just read Michael Flynn' s post match comments. Says we'll be there or there abouts at the end of the season. Fair enough we are there abouts now and he is probably right and is certainly entitled to say that.

His other comment, not so much. "Let's not dress it up we were not very good."

Sorry Michael but 'Let's not dress it up we were not very good' is dressing it up. A more accurate assessment and one which would fill me with greater confidence would have been:

"Let's not dress it up. We were f@cking sh1te. Tomorrow we are all going to sit down and thrash this out. I would also like to say that as manager I take responsibility for that totally inept, passionless and at time gutless display. We can't win every game, and sometimes we will play badly. But there is no excuse for the crock of shite we served up tonight and I would like to apologise personally to every County fan."

I would guess in at least 75% of games a defender or keeper has been msn of the match. Says a lot to me. There is no creativity at all so the forwards are feeding off scraps. I was glad Podge started tonight but then to only give him 45 minutes seemed stupid. Constant chopping and changing without any plan it seems at the moment.