Re: Midfield

Special branch wrote:Bedeck's suggestion is excellent: we must do something and strengthening the midfield is key. It has been for three years. A return of a well behaved Labadie so needed.
Thank goodness! I’ve been complaining about our mf for at least 2 and a half years, possibly more. Hasn’t been good since Byrne left.

lowandhard wrote:
Special branch wrote:Bedeck's suggestion is excellent: we must do something and strengthening the midfield is key. It has been for three years. A return of a well behaved Labadie so needed.
Thank goodness! I’ve been complaining about our mf for at least 2 and a half years, possibly more. Hasn’t been good since Byrne left.
What I don’t understand is why we don’t have a midfield. This season we have probably had the best midfielder in years (no longer with us obviously). We also still have one of the best midfielders in the league - Sheehan, and Labs when on form can hold his own against any team, certainly in this league.

Labs and Josh been out for a few games but that doesn’t provide the answer as to why we don’t have a decent midfield. Prior to the Grimsby win we hadn’t won since early Dec. I don’t get it.

We're also not getting many bodies into the box when we do get into good positions (except when we're chasing the game at the end). I'd like to see Haynes taking a few more chances. Quite often when the play is out on the right I think he should gamble and get in to the back post but he hangs out wide on the touchline. Maybe he's following instructions but now and again we need to take a few more chances if we're going to start scoring more goals again.

markvickery wrote:Michael Doughty always looked decent for Swindon and created chances. Good physicality as well
I agree, and he had a good scoring record from penalties too.

Think he retired last year to set up a business, read a paper article about him a while ago, he’s an interesting bloke for an ex-footballer, his Dad was the former Forest chairman Nigel Doughty and son Michael inherited a bundle of money so didn’t need to continue playing in the lower leagues.