Re: Port Vale Match off

reebok0165 wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Beechwood Boy wrote:Not many Tuesdays left to fit the rearranged fixture.
I think we still have 2 or 3 free Tuesdays. Better than some for sure. Carlisle don't have a free midweek until May.
Available Tuesdays:
16th March
23rd March
30th March
No game scheduled for 6th April but they play on the Monday

27th April
4th May

This coming Tuesdays game v Exeter may fall foul to rain.
Don’t we play in the rain anymore.

County ranger wrote:
reebok0165 wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Beechwood Boy wrote:Not many Tuesdays left to fit the rearranged fixture.
I think we still have 2 or 3 free Tuesdays. Better than some for sure. Carlisle don't have a free midweek until May.
Available Tuesdays:
16th March
23rd March
30th March
No game scheduled for 6th April but they play on the Monday

27th April
4th May

This coming Tuesdays game v Exeter may fall foul to rain.
Don’t we play in the rain anymore.
:bounce:

excessbee wrote:I doubt that Oxford to Wigan would involve Friday travel and an overnight stop. More likely there is no chance for tomorrow but the rise in temperature gives a 50/50 chance for Sunday so Oxford are prepared to be on standby for an early Sunday morning decision.
I’d be very surprised if Oxford wouldn’t ordinarily book into an hotel on Friday night for a game that distance away, pretty much every Lge1 club would do for anything over 100 miles. Good idea to stay an extra night to try to get the game played on Sunday though, seeing as home teams have to reimburse away teams’ travel costs when a game is postponed.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
excessbee wrote:I doubt that Oxford to Wigan would involve Friday travel and an overnight stop. More likely there is no chance for tomorrow but the rise in temperature gives a 50/50 chance for Sunday so Oxford are prepared to be on standby for an early Sunday morning decision.
I’d be very surprised if Oxford wouldn’t ordinarily book into an hotel on Friday night for a game that distance away, pretty much every Lge1 club would do for anything over 100 miles. Good idea to stay an extra night to try to get the game played on Sunday though, seeing as home teams have to reimburse away teams’ travel costs when a game is postponed.
I wonder where they stay with all the hotels being closed. Maybe they kip on the team bus.

Blackandamber wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
I wonder where they stay with all the hotels being closed. Maybe they kip on the team bus.
Every hotel, or certainly the mainstream chains, remain open for those who need to stay there for ‘essential business’, I know a lot of places put up NHS staff last autumn when staffing numbers dropped due to sickness levels, so some NHS trusts put all the staff up in hotels to save them going home and spreading germs etc.

excessbee wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:The game is in Oxford and there's a motel literally overlooking the ground, wonder if Wigan might stay there.
I should have checked. I commented on a post saying Wigan v Oxford assuming that was correct.
Me too! There is a Holiday Inn hotel at Oxford’s ground owned (franchised) by their former chairman so guess visiting teams would use that. The issue with Oxford’s ground and frozen pitches isn’t helped by them only having 3 stands so one end is open to the elements.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:The issue with Oxford’s ground and frozen pitches isn’t helped by them only having 3 stands so one end is open to the elements.
Indeed. And yet (to bring it back to my point), they still think that they can stage the game 24hrs later and get it played then rather than needing to a Tuesday night (of which fewer and fewer are available because of congestion). So why aren’t other clubs - including Port Vale - trying to do the same?

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:The issue with Oxford’s ground and frozen pitches isn’t helped by them only having 3 stands so one end is open to the elements.
Indeed. And yet (to bring it back to my point), they still think that they can stage the game 24hrs later and get it played then rather than needing to a Tuesday night (of which fewer and fewer are available because of congestion). So why aren’t other clubs - including Port Vale - trying to do the same?
I think you make a very good point, especially as spectator attendance is not a consideration at present. As with most things some people are able to think outside the box, and others who can't even think within the box.