Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Exeter

neilcork68 wrote:I won't hold back

MF needs to be replaced NOW

Tonight is the straw that IMO broke the camels back.
We have been poor since early December. Our results back this up. One win in the last 10..That against the team at the bottom of the league, who out played us in the first half and should have been a few goals up before we scored. Guess what, they managed to play football on the pitch that seems to be the get out clause MF and WH keep using as excuses for their failings.
How much longer can MF live with him saving us from the drop a few seasons ago?

The BOD backed him in the window by signing a striker we couldn't really afford. We already had 6 strikers at the club,. How many does he need?
What he failed to do was address our lack of creativity. We could have Messi and Kane playing up front for us but he would make them look ordinary because of the service they would get.

I am one of Wilmotts biggest critics on here. Since MF got rid of him and Abrahams to help finance Maynard wages he has changed the formation to 4-4- 2..Using wingers. The only position Willmott should have played. He used him as a central midfielder or wingback but never in his only position?????
Only a manager who doesn't know what he is doing could do that.

He didn't even have the balls to face the press after last night's shambles, sending out WH... Why was that? Scared the press may ask him a few uncomfortable questions about his management???

Sorry, I know the pitch is awful but to keep using it as THE EXCUSE for our poor performances is wearing a bit thin..
Playing against 9 men for 45 mins... against 10 for 81 minutes and putting on a performance like that.. Only 5 shots on target is not down to the pitch

Sacking Mike Flynn, and his assistant Wayne Hatswell now would be a big mistake. Our season would be over. Just sacking the manager and his assistant does not guarantee success. Who would you suggest we bring in to replace Mike Flynn?

Tell me, when was the last time you had anything good to say about Newport County and Mike Flynn?

Flynn makes substitutes in the 30th minute sorry not tactical for 10 men - seen it before - no. Then has a side playing with no shape or idea and finally has not got the bottle to attend the press conference. It is no surprise the players have no clue the manager has none. Ellison mentioned on the Facebook feed a couple of weeks ago something like it is a strange dressing room. Sorry he has lost the players and many fans.
This team has some talent and a new manager bounce could see us go up.

I don't think Mike has 'lost the players'. The whole squad has lost its way the last few months.

A big change around in the January transfer market needs bedding in.

I think we need to start Telford and Maynard up front together for a good few games, stop all this chopping and changing, get some consistency and confidence back. Have Ryan Taylor on the bench to come on if we need to knock it long and get the flick ons (although I still rate Amond better at this too).

For me Labadie needs to step up as skipper a little more. Sheehan needs to think about going forward instead of sideways, he also needs to look at the basics instead of a glory 30 yard ball.

The game on the weekend will be different with Shep back (hopefully), better options and balls into the box.

This week should be set piece training, get those first balls in the box for the bigger players to knock in towards the goal. Also take a look at the runs and space Maynard was getting into last night and try and play to his strengths a little more.

Townsend
Haynes
Farquarharson
Dolan
Demetriou
Shepard
Labadie
Gambin
Sheehan
Maynard
Telford

The performance last night was woeful, even by the standards of our comparatively poor form of the recent 2 months.

But the overreaction of blaming the managers tactics and even suggestions of replacing him I find ludicrous. Unless of course the players are being coached to misplace passes, deliver poor quality crosses and free kicks and miss the target when shooting.Add to that indecision when in possession. That's what I witnessed last night. The players need to accept responsibility for their under-performances.
Seem to recall something similar happening last season also, when there was talk of challenging for promotion. It suggests an inability to deal positively with the weight of expectation.

Willthiswork wrote:
County ranger wrote:Flynn makes substitutes in the 30th minute sorry not tactical for 10 men - seen it before - no.
Not sure what you mean? He made a more attacking change.
Some might say it worked (we got a draw) others will say he has no idea how to get out of this hole, ask your self would this be happening if Lennie Lawrence was still at the club, IMO I think not, a sign of a good manager is to front up and ask for help, not send other people to do the dirty work when the going gets tough.

Is it possible that Flynn couldn’t trust himself to control his comments at the post match press conference and made a (possibly wise in the circumstances) decision to send out Hatswell instead?

Is it possible Flynn feels the situation is serious enough to want to spend time with the team immediately after the game and not be distracted by the press conference?

Maybe flynn was still ripping into them in them dressing room that's why he didnt do post match I know I would have been never seen so much possession squandered along with set pieces and as someone else mentioned Sheehan as last man playing 30 yards forward to to banks of 4 exeter defenders or a sideways pass to one of our backs we had no creativity or nous to get in behind them and play balls to the feet of our strikers maynard and telford to start next game but if your going to hoof it 30 odd yards up to them chasing hopeful balls what's the point pick two 6 footers and hope for the best maybe that will be his masterstroke tactics next time :roll:

Exeter’s matchday squad last night included 10 ex-academy products. They can’t have any arguments about the red cards but will have been impressed how they managed to defend against our continual long balls and crosses, but in truth there were no goal line clearances and their GK wasn’t put under too much pressure.

An inability to motivate last night’s team. A poor performance at home v Southend. Obvious discipline issues on the pitch judging by recent dismissals. Continually tinkering with the front 2 pairing, and then replacing them or chucking on more forwards when they didn’t produce goals is amateurish.

Another club, Bristol City, severed ties with their manager overnight after 6 straight defeats. It seems we can tolerate poor performances by our team and management and look to support MF with whatever signings he wants to bring in, but equally I would hope someone at board level has at least started to hold discussions about the next steps if things don’t improve.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Exeter’s matchday squad last night included 10 ex-academy products. They can’t have any arguments about the red cards but will have been impressed how they managed to defend against our continual long balls and crosses, but in truth there were no goal line clearances and their GK wasn’t put under too much pressure.

An inability to motivate last night’s team. A poor performance at home v Southend. Obvious discipline issues on the pitch judging by recent dismissals. Continually tinkering with the front 2 pairing, and then replacing them or chucking on more forwards when they didn’t produce goals is amateurish.

Another club, Bristol City, severed ties with their manager overnight after 6 straight defeats. It seems we can tolerate poor performances by our team and management and look to support MF with whatever signings he wants to bring in, but equally I would hope someone at board level has at least started to hold discussions about the next steps if things don’t improve.
I totally understand the frustration, You make good points about the tinkering upfront which hasn't done anything but cause low morale I would assume.

I think we need to be realistic as to what Newport County is, it's a small club running on a league 2 bottom half of the table budget. Bristol City sack managers due to not fulfilling expectations.

What did the board ask of Flynn before the season started?

This was 100% the worst Mike Flynn managerial performance since he took over. To not beat 9 men for 45 minutes, with a late equaliser is nothing short of embarrassing. What I just can't fathom is how his tactics remained to put it out to the wings and cross it when it clearly wasn't working. Why didn't we do through the middle more and make the extra men count by creating space. His substitutions were baffling and looked to me like the decisions of a man buckling under pressure. Why change players like for like and not change the system? So disappointing.

We can never underestimate the job that Flynn has done for us and I'm certainly not in the knee jerk reaction camp, but yesterday was 100% down to him and his tactics. He should take responsibility and not blame the players.

I worry he is losing the dressing room, we look a shadow of the side we were earlier in the season, with or without Cooper and Twine.

He's one of our own and I will never forget what he has done for us but the buck stops with him unfortunately.

neilcork68 wrote:I won't hold back

MF needs to be replaced NOW

Tonight is the straw that IMO broke the camels back.
We have been poor since early December. Our results back this up. One win in the last 10..That against the team at the bottom of the league, who out played us in the first half and should have been a few goals up before we scored. Guess what, they managed to play football on the pitch that seems to be the get out clause MF and WH keep using as excuses for their failings.
How much longer can MF live with him saving us from the drop a few seasons ago?

The BOD backed him in the window by signing a striker we couldn't really afford. We already had 6 strikers at the club,. How many does he need?
What he failed to do was address our lack of creativity. We could have Messi and Kane playing up front for us but he would make them look ordinary because of the service they would get.

I am one of Wilmotts biggest critics on here. Since MF got rid of him and Abrahams to help finance Maynard wages he has changed the formation to 4-4- 2..Using wingers. The only position Willmott should have played. He used him as a central midfielder or wingback but never in his only position?????
Only a manager who doesn't know what he is doing could do that.

He didn't even have the balls to face the press after last night's shambles, sending out WH... Why was that? Scared the press may ask him a few uncomfortable questions about his management???

Sorry, I know the pitch is awful but to keep using it as THE EXCUSE for our poor performances is wearing a bit thin..
Playing against 9 men for 45 mins... against 10 for 81 minutes and putting on a performance like that.. Only 5 shots on target is not down to the pitch
Flynn made a wise decision not to face the media when he is in a middle of a crisis. Why say something you'd regret? Wayne can talk, he is an assistant manager and assisted when he was needed the most.

Calling for Flynn to be sacked is as poor a form as this current run we're on :roll:

Why would the Club sack a manager that is five points from Cambridge with two games in hand?

Win against Forest Green on Sat and things will look completely different.

Yes - it's not been great but we have had runs like this before and the season before last still made the playoffs. We were very lucky to get Cooper and Twine but there was probably a reason why their clubs agreed to short term loans - because their ability is above League Two.

Why would we financially shot ourselves in the foot now by sacking Flynn? If that happened then it is likely to have a further financial effect as it could mean Hatswell and the rest of the coaching staff would potentially have to be paid off if a new manager came in. Would you really want the Club to do that in the current circumstances?