Serious question

What did Flynny have to do to get his coaching badges,obviously tactics are not part of the course.I had to pass City and Guilds to get my qualifications,you have to get decent grades for University degrees etc.Do you have to pass an exam to get coaching badges or,just attend every week to fulfill the obligations.What do have to do,just learn about player welfare and manager speak.If they do teach tactics then Flynny was looking out of the window and not listening.Has anyone on here ever been on a coaching course,I am genuinely intrigued.

Re: Serious question

Coaching for me is the theory and it benefits all managers to get this under their belts but game management is another thing and how the match evolves. The most frustrating thing for me tonight was that Exeter probably knew we were going to struggle for impact right side so they just blocked Haynes out of the game left side with Caprice pretty much doing the job for 90 mins until he flagged. Haynes then puts one decent cross in and we score. We were effective working the corners and flanks pre Rodney Parade Pitch implosion, but sides are just suffocating the channels now. We can't play direct because we don't have the physicality, so need to be more clever and work moves through the middle with guile and quick mindedness.
That probably means getting players like Telford and Sheehan on the ball more in and around the box.
This may to be too simplistic for coaching courses but I've seen enough football over the years to know you need to keep things fresh and keep other sides guessing. The difference between L1 and L2 is probably the finishing in and around the area and slickness of play final third.
Forest Green like to play from the back but they will need to adapt their game Saturday no doubt as you can't play from the back on that pitch as it stands.

JE was like Flynny in,after going one up the emphasis was on preserving that lead ahead of trying to add to it.Flynny has had that approach all along,grind out 1-0 workmanlike boring results.This continued this season,Stevenage and Tranmere being examples,scoring early and then quite happy to sit back.Unfortunately,teams have now sussed that we back off,we have dropped 18 points from winning starts.I don’t expect us to win every game where we score first but,18 points is a lot.As big a worry is Flynny’s scatter gun approach to signing players,hardly playing some of them or,playing them in odd positions with weird formations.He is becoming more like Westley which is a concern.

markvickery wrote:Coaching for me is the theory and it benefits all managers to get this under their belts but game management is another thing and how the match evolves. The most frustrating thing for me tonight was that Exeter probably knew we were going to struggle for impact right side so they just blocked Haynes out of the game left side with Caprice pretty much doing the job for 90 mins until he flagged. Haynes then puts one decent cross in and we score. We were effective working the corners and flanks pre Rodney Parade Pitch implosion, but sides are just suffocating the channels now. We can't play direct because we don't have the physicality, so need to be more clever and work moves through the middle with guile and quick mindedness.
That probably means getting players like Telford and Sheehan on the ball more in and around the box.
This may to be too simplistic for coaching courses but I've seen enough football over the years to know you need to keep things fresh and keep other sides guessing. The difference between L1 and L2 is probably the finishing in and around the area and slickness of play final third.
Forest Green like to play from the back but they will need to adapt their game Saturday no doubt as you can't play from the back on that pitch as it stands.
A most refreshing analysis I'm in broad agreement with,without the need for name calling or barbed comments towards individuals.
Would add that the more mercurial art of man management, i.e. getting the most out of a player's potential, both physically and mentally within a team setting can be just as important as tactics in any team sport. Indecision, lack of belief and confidence can be very negative forces.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
markvickery wrote:Coaching for me is the theory and it benefits all managers to get this under their belts but game management is another thing and how the match evolves. The most frustrating thing for me tonight was that Exeter probably knew we were going to struggle for impact right side so they just blocked Haynes out of the game left side with Caprice pretty much doing the job for 90 mins until he flagged. Haynes then puts one decent cross in and we score. We were effective working the corners and flanks pre Rodney Parade Pitch implosion, but sides are just suffocating the channels now. We can't play direct because we don't have the physicality, so need to be more clever and work moves through the middle with guile and quick mindedness.
A most refreshing analysis I'm in broad agreement with,without the need for name calling or barbed comments towards individuals.

Agree with all of that - especially the man-management bit. Look at the great comments from Ben White about Flynny.