Michael Flynn

My thoughts.

I would not sack Flynn. Firstly we should not overlook what he has achieved for the club. Secondly we are not going to be relegated this season so what would be the point? It is true I would have sacked him over the Lincoln debacle but as he wasn't sacked then I would not use that incident now.

What I would say to Michael Flynn is firstly that in light of the form the club are now showing that it is not the intention of Newport County to renew his contract. I would then say that he has until May to change our minds.

As always I would be interested in the views of others.

Re: Michael Flynn

Stan A. Einstein wrote:My thoughts.

I would not sack Flynn. Firstly we should not overlook what he has achieved for the club. Secondly we are not going to be relegated this season so what would be the point? It is true I would have sacked him over the Lincoln debacle but as he wasn't sacked then I would not use that incident now.

What I would say to Michael Flynn is firstly that in light of the form the club are now showing that it is not the intention of Newport County to renew his contract. I would then say that he has until May to change our minds.

The question is how long can you live on past glories - does one save from relegation with someone else’s team and cup runs make you immune from criticism/ the sack. We are moving to a stage where he will have the worst ever record on a run of games as anyone else would have the sack.
The Board have supported him - Maynard will relatively be on huge wages but will not be able to do anything without decent service.
I fear the players are demoralised and not sure if Flynn is the character to pull this back. The ability to make five substitutions has not helped it allows his impetuous nature to get the better of him. He needs help we are missing Lenny.
I think we are now three games away from him staying or going if we lose next three he needs to go to give a new appointment time to judge contract renewals in training etc.

Point A: What a brilliant effort to step into a virtually totally lost situation and turn it around, but you can't 'dine out' on that forever.
Point B: Cup runs through either luck, skill or just 'It was our turn,' has no doubt put the club in a better financial position than we could ever have hoped for.
Point C: Recruiting a former player who would bleed amber for you, is always going to be the proverbial rock or hard place when others would have been sacked.

I don't know where we go with this, as I don't want him to go with a bad taste in his mouth through a sacking, yet I can't see him putting his hands in the air and admitting he can't do it anymore and walking.
I still don't think we are structurered for L1 yet, but questions have to be asked and answered how we have gone from where we were in December to the shambles it has become 2 months later

If he’s got any dignity and integrity he should resign now, agree a partial pay-off to ‘mutually agree’ his departure.

If he doesn’t, we should consider sacking him at the end of the month, in theory allowing a new manager or temporary one to see if he can get better performances out of the squad.

County ranger wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My thoughts.

The question is how long can you live on past glories - does one save from relegation with someone else’s team and cup runs make you immune from criticism/ the sack. We are moving to a stage where he will have the worst ever record on a run of games as anyone else would have the sack.
The Board have supported him - Maynard will relatively be on huge wages but will not be able to do anything without decent service.
I fear the players are demoralised and not sure if Flynn is the character to pull this back. The ability to make five substitutions has not helped it allows his impetuous nature to get the better of him. He needs help we are missing Lenny.
I think we are now three games away from him staying or going if we lose next three he needs to go to give a new appointment time to judge contract renewals in training etc.
It's been a strange old season. It's been total garbage for a couple of months but Flynn is hardly living off glories from past seasons. What season was it that the County were top of the division in the EFL for the first time in about 40 years? This season. What season was it that the County took two Premier league teams to extra time and penalties? This season.

Having said that I agree with Brendan. If there's no improvement then don't renew his contract.

I've stopped even thinking of promotion a few weeks ago and we have got worse since then.

What makes it worse than the promotion dream dying in front of our eyes with our abject performances is 1 win in 12 games and even that was after being battered by the team at the bottom of the league in the first half
The pitch is dire but other teams cope with it, so why he keeps blaming the pitch is a joke..
Its down to his management , tactics , selections, etc...You will never hear him admit it though

County-at-the-races wrote:Point A: What a brilliant effort to step into a virtually totally lost situation and turn it around, but you can't 'dine out' on that forever.
Point B: Cup runs through either luck, skill or just 'It was our turn,' has no doubt put the club in a better financial position than we could ever have hoped for.
Point C: Recruiting a former player who would bleed amber for you, is always going to be the proverbial rock or hard place when others would have been sacked.

I don't know where we go with this, as I don't want him to go with a bad taste in his mouth through a sacking, yet I can't see him putting his hands in the air and admitting he can't do it anymore and walking.
I still don't think we are structurered for L1 yet, but questions have to be asked and answered how we have gone from where we were in December to the shambles it has become 2 months later
To answer your question: we lost Cooper and Twine.

County-at-the-races wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: To answer your question: we lost Cooper and Twine.
Then I rest my case about not being structured for promotion if we were totally and inequivalently reliant on 2 players.
Rather than winning tight games we lose them. I suspect it really is that simple.

County-at-the-races wrote:Point A: What a brilliant effort to step into a virtually totally lost situation and turn it around, but you can't 'dine out' on that forever.

The misconception is Flynn bleeds amber, his lifestyle and application cut short his league career his legs went at a young age, so he milked a lucrative contract out of us, and now he is by rumour one of the best paid L2 managers, both the club and he have done well out of it to date but don’t mix loyalty with finding a golden goose at careers end.