Re: Michael Flynn

Maybe for the first time ever I cannot be bothered to read the pages of i am sure interesting comments. For many years I think he has been out of his depth. Like JE plan A if that fails stick to plan A.
He had to be better than Westley and clearly was. One volley kept him and us in the league.
some great cup runs but struggling to think of a game in the last say 3 seasons we have thumped anybody, funny enough only FGR a few times away.
Maybe he has script writer as some of the garbage excuses week in week out are wearing a very bit thin now.
we are safe thankfully but keep this abysmal form up and the BOD will need to man up
Best thing all afternoon was Charlie stating after 5 minutes play.
"the pitch is starting to cut up already"

reebok0165 wrote:Newport County's latest three managers:

Warren Feeney:
Leading up to his sacking, County gained only NINE points from a run of twenty games (60pts). This run of twenty games was the later part of 2015 / 2016 and the first nine games of 2016 / 2017.

Graham Westley, replaced Warren Feeney:
Leading up to his sacking during 2016 / 2017, County gained only NINE points from a run of eighteen games (54pts).

Mike Flynn:
As the current manager of County, County have gained only EIGHT points from their latest twelve games (36pts).

So:
Feeney - NINE points from SIXTY.
Westley - NINE points from FIFTY FOUR.
Flynn - EIGHT points from THIRTY SIX ongoing.
They both clearly had to go.
the jury is still out with Flynny.

ajs wrote:Newport County manager Mike Flynn told BBC Sport Wales: "Forest Green were excellent in the way they didn't make any mistakes today.

"I said before the game it would be tough to create chances and it was today, they've had two chances from our mistakes and I think they'll win the league.

"That was the worst football pitch I've ever been involved with, but we didn't lose because of the pitch, we lost because we made two mistakes."
Oh come off it Mikey, we could have played until 10pm tonight and still not troubled their keeper into making a good save, and therein lays the problem unless we aim to achieve a shed full of 0-0's until the end of the season. Ah but there's a problem with that idea, because the opposition have clearly decided it's worth having a go..... and they do

County4Life wrote:I will only support the board making a new appointment if our league status is under threat. That is nowhere near. Flynn can turn it around! :wink:
That would probably be too late then as like the Westley scenario we survived by a whisker.

County4Life wrote:I will only support the board making a new appointment if our league status is under threat. That is nowhere near. Flynn can turn it around! :wink:
We are safe this season. As I said my view is that this form is unacceptable. My view is that Flynn deserves the chance to turn it around. But unless there is a dramatic improvement I would not renew his contract in the summer. And even if he does improve I wouldn't give so generous a contract.

On a different point watching the interview it would take a heart of stone not to feel sympathy for Flynn. Clearly he is under massive stress. Anyone who has been in an adversarial career knows how lonely and frightened you can become with a string of bad results. But if you play at the top table you have to accept that such pressure goes with the territory.

The players are letting him down and some look like they have given up. And who's to say some haven't? And maybe if they have it's because it's a horribly transient, insecure way to earn a living at the best of times let alone when there's a pandemic, your family might be miles away and you might have just shot your bolt.

And on top of securing points Flynn has a duty of care to all of them. He has certainly made some mistakes recently - no more Wilfried Bony nonsense, please - but for one thing he has found us a real gem in Farquharson.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The players are letting him down and some look like they have given up. And who's to say some haven't? And maybe if they have it's because it's a horribly transient, insecure way to earn a living at the best of times let alone when there's a pandemic, your family might be miles away and you might have just shot your bolt.

And on top of securing points Flynn has a duty of care to all of them. He has certainly made some mistakes recently - no more Wilfried Bony nonsense, please - but for one thing he has found us a real gem in Farquharson.
If part of the reason for our present struggle is that some of our players have given up because of the transient insecure lifestyle particularly during a pandemic, would that not be equally true of our 23 rivals in League 2? And would it not be the job of a manager to overcome this in any event?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
We are safe this season. As I said my view is that this form is unacceptable. My view is that Flynn deserves the chance to turn it around. But unless there is a dramatic improvement I would not renew his contract in the summer. And even if he does improve I wouldn't give so generous a contract.

On a different point watching the interview it would take a heart of stone not to feel sympathy for Flynn. Clearly he is under massive stress. Anyone who has been in an adversarial career knows how lonely and frightened you can become with a string of bad results. But if you play at the top table you have to accept that such pressure goes with the territory.
Thoughtful post.. Nice one.
Flynny must have the world on his shoulders in these uncertain times...
I think he'd make a good National league manager and then work his way up. Let him finish his contract and let as mentioned by others let Ellison and Podge share the duties until then.
So depressing that we have got some decent players not having the motivation to put on a decent display.
But doubtless the board have a rock solid plan to present to us re the future and cheer us all up

bigfan wrote:
reebok0165 wrote:Newport County's latest three managers:

Warren Feeney:
Leading up to his sacking, County gained only NINE points from a run of twenty games (60pts). This run of twenty games was the later part of 2015 / 2016 and the first nine games of 2016 / 2017.

Graham Westley, replaced Warren Feeney:
Leading up to his sacking during 2016 / 2017, County gained only NINE points from a run of eighteen games (54pts).

Mike Flynn:
As the current manager of County, County have gained only EIGHT points from their latest twelve games (36pts).

So:
Feeney - NINE points from SIXTY.
Westley - NINE points from FIFTY FOUR.
Flynn - EIGHT points from THIRTY SIX ongoing.
They both clearly had to go.
the jury is still out with Flynny.
Interesting and awful stats. But what do we do now? Wait for the next 6-8 consecutive defeats so MF will have equalled their breathtakingly poor records? Hope the tactics and players improve under the current management team? Cross our fingers and hope we come up against a worse side?

This season is still salvageable. Plenty of points to play for if the team go on a good run. But I can’t see it happening under MF, just like last season when cup exploits led to poor league form.

Maybe if someone like Pulis came in as temporary DoF then we could learn how to ‘win ugly’ again. Maybe if MF’s mate Thierry Henry came in our forward line could be better coached. I’m not convinced there are many out of work managers around itching to come to County and turn round our fortunes. The Cowleys are waiting for something bigger and better. There will be plenty of non-league managers out of work or furloughed after their seasons were curtailed. A combination of Pipey and Byron is worth considering, if nothing else motivation wouldn’t be lacking.

But something positive has to change and either force an improvement on the pitch, or force the Board to act.