Re: Michael Flynn

Terry Butcher was sacked with 18 months still left on his contract.From memory,the PFA ,or equivalent for managers,wanted us to pay up his whole contract.The club argued that is was unreasonable to pay in full as he had failed in his performances.He was paid monthly up to the end of the first season only.

rncfc wrote:I find this thread incredible.

Pathetic pant wetting at its finest.

Just be careful what you wish for lads.

Some Cardiff City fans were of the same feelings as you when they sacked Neil Harris and appointed Mick McCarthy.
5 wins and a draw out of seven games since it happened has changed their feelings towards the change

neilcork68 wrote: Some Cardiff City fans were of the same feelings as you when they sacked Neil Harris and appointed Mick McCarthy.
5 wins and a draw out of seven games since it happened has changed their feelings towards the change
And if it goes the other way and we're bottom half of the table this time next year are you going to call for another sacking then?

bigfan wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County Exile wrote:I think he is under contract till June 2022

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... YKSyVs2rFk

There is no think about it. You are right and I am wrong.

The board of directors of Newport County have much to answer for. If the information I have with respect to the remuneration Flynn receives and which Percy seems likewise to have then Flynn might be unsackable.
That is scary.

Apply for a better job , get it but have to refuse it because the boss said she doesnt want to move to the area and get an improved longer contract than what you had at your current club...How does that work out ???
#Loyalty ????

neilcork68 wrote:

Some Cardiff City fans were of the same feelings as you when they sacked Neil Harris and appointed Mick McCarthy.
Well done to them.

I'm sure someone of that calibre would be bang up for coming here and will have us playing free flowing, attacking football in no time.

As I have said I'd give Flynn until the end of the season to turn things around. Others hold a different point of view in both directions. However.

We have picked up only eight points from our last twelve games. With only one win. That would equate to 30 points for the season, tailed off last and relegated. Further our football at present is total shite.

If you wish to suggest that those who wish to argue that Flynn should be dismissed are wrong by all means make your argument. If you are seriously suggesting that those who feel Flynn should be dismissed are pathetic pant wetters then I think you're talking codwallop.

Being brutally honest I'm hoping it was a low point for County today
There is a wider concern that for 2nd season in a row there's been a complete collapse in form Dec onwards
I can emphasise as you can't really scout sides we are due to play on that pitch as they will rip up methods from previous gamesection, but we should better than that and more tuned to pitch by now? Agree the pitch is a bit of a double edged sword
We need to pick up our away form for sure

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County4Life wrote:I will only support the board making a new appointment if our league status is under threat. That is nowhere near. Flynn can turn it around! :wink:
We are safe this season. As I said my view is that this form is unacceptable. My view is that Flynn deserves the chance to turn it around. But unless there is a dramatic improvement I would not renew his contract in the summer. And even if he does improve I wouldn't give so generous a contract.

On a different point watching the interview it would take a heart of stone not to feel sympathy for Flynn. Clearly he is under massive stress. Anyone who has been in an adversarial career knows how lonely and frightened you can become with a string of bad results. But if you play at the top table you have to accept that such pressure goes with the territory.
Agree with this and others’ reflections. MF does sound like a man under a lot of pressure, it was an honest appraisal but I’m not sure I heard any real answers or solutions other than “we’ve got to stop making mistakes” and “we’ve got to learn to play on the pitch”.

I can accept mistakes at this level, particularly when confidence is low, we’ve been down to 10 men several times and we’re playing with a couple of young defenders.

But it will take more than ‘eradicate the mistakes’ and ‘getting used to the pitch’ (the same dog rough pitch we’ve used for years). It will take players driving forward in pairs to take on the defence, more ingenuity with corners and free-kicks, even playing to our strengths (long throws, win the header, knock the rebound home). It needs the players to be fitter, sharper and quicker to react in the box. It will take Sheehan etc to be close to our front 2 when we’re attacking, and it’ll also take giving the same front 2/3 90mins in a few consecutive games without, barring injuries, replacing them.

There has to be change soon if the poor form continues. We can still sneak into the top 4. Promotion will be worth a couple of hundred grand, probably the same figure as dispensing with MF and WH now. Are we really content, as a club, to accept lower mid-table mediocrity and an occasional good cup run as the ‘County standard’? The standard across League 2 is absolute ‘dog dirt’ so we should be aiming higher, particularly if we’re claiming to be a fan owned club looking to generate funds to buy or build a stadium and training ground.

Continue with this poor form into March and we’ve lost any chance of securing promotion.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: Are we really content, as a club, to accept lower mid-table mediocrity and an occasional good cup run as the ‘County standard’?
In short, yes.

But you can swap occasional cup run with regular money spinning great cup runs and lower mid table to playoff finalists and top half of table finishes. Because that's more accurate.

If I was clever enough from an IT perspective, I would create a forum poll asking members to decide:

1. Sack MF now / agree on a mutual departure.
Pro’s - Someone else might be able to improve things and get us promoted / most clubs would’ve done the same with similar recent results / lack of ideas to improve things.
Con’s - It overlooks the early season form / we owe MF some more loyalty / there are too many managerial changes in football & we’ve got a chance to show some stability.

2. Give him 6-8 more games to turn things round.
Pro’s - Continuity, MF knows the players better than a new manager / surely we’ll turn the corner soon? The pitch will improve when the weather does.
Con’s - Why wait? Is there really anything to gain from not acting now? If improvements aren’t achieved that’s the season over, low season ticket sales.

3. Let MF see out his contract.
Pro’s - Cost, more delays in seeking a replacement, are there really any other serious contenders prepared to come to RP knowing what the pitch is like for part of the season?
Con’s - Suggests the Board don’t have the bottle to make tough decisions / suggests our benchmark for success is losing as many as we win and throw in a reasonable cup run and everyone will be happy.