The Great promotion bid.

Well we achieved the great escape when we were given no chance, we defied the odds in 18/19 when everyone wrote us off put a 12 match unbeaten run together and made the playoffs so why can't we pull off the great promotion bid.

We're in the strongest position out of all these 3 scenarios and we have a management team and half a dressing room that have done this twice before.

So why not, we've got Amber in the blood we're newport county and we've proved on many occasions that we will fight till the end.

Re: The Great promotion bid.

When Accrington went up as champions after 28 games they had 47 points, they went on a 15 match unbeaten run ended by yep you've guessed it-us in the great escape year.

Let's get the confidence going again and the winning habit will come back.

I think we're better when we have the start of the season optimism that's natural, or the fighting for our lives mentality or fa cup big game mentality so we should have that now because everyone has said we're done, we're finished, we've got no chance.

F@ck that as an outlook every game is a big game now.

I know what you mean Jon but I want promotion and the reason I say that is I've seen many sides knock on the door for many seasons then suddenly plummet.

I want us to go up establish ourselves in league 1 but never overstretch ourselves financially.

If we can't do that then being in the mix is the next best thing.

JonD wrote:I'm actually not that bothered about promotion and all that it might bring. I just want us to be in the mix. No matter how perverse it might seem I'd be perfectly happy losing in the play-offs every year for the rest of my days.

Weird, aren't I? :)
I can empathise with this. I’d love us to go up and play in the third division, but I’m equally happy to just have a local fan-owned club, run sustainably, playing league football (even if it’s in the fourth division) in a ground with character and terraces near good watering holes, and having semi-regular thrilling cup runs. Promotion would be lovely - but the higher you go, the further you get from the things that make football enjoyable.

supporter wrote:Well we achieved the great escape when we were given no chance, we defied the odds in 18/19 when everyone wrote us off put a 12 match unbeaten run together and made the playoffs so why can't we pull off the great promotion bid.

We're in the strongest position out of all these 3 scenarios and we have a management team and half a dressing room that have done this twice before.

So why not, we've got Amber in the blood we're newport county and we've proved on many occasions that we will fight till the end.
That's the spirit!

Great posts from people who have their feet on the ground, rather than heads in the clouds :grin:
I'd rather us be a competitive club who have financially beneficial cup runs, with some tv appearances, who are there or there abouts come the end of the season.
There have been several examples of clubs who have gained promotion to League 1 who have sunk without trace or struggled to keep "pace" with what promotion entails. However, there are teams who have managed this, whether they've had financial backing or not, I'm not sure.
UTC

Its the year 2045, Its February.
Scott Twine and Brandon Coopers sons have played for us up to the January transfer window but been recalled by their parent clubs.
We are sitting in 12th position in the league , six points off the play offs after being 8 points clear at Christmas.
We have just lost our 10th consecutive game on the run and this board is still full of posters saying ''GIVE HIM A CHANCE '', ''HE WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR''
''He saved us from the drop in 2016 / 17 season and had a few cup runs and made us some money''

By the way the pitch is still crap at RP because the WRU havent replaced it since the dark old days of the pandemic of 2020.They just bought a bag of hard wearing grass seed that they planted in June in hope that wold solve the problem

By the way Ellison is still playing

neilcork68 wrote:Its the year 2045, Its February.
Scott Twine and Brandon Coopers sons have played for us up to the January transfer window but been recalled by their parent clubs.
We are sitting in 12th position in the league , six points off the play offs after being 8 points clear at Christmas.
We have just lost our 10th consecutive game on the run and this board is still full of posters saying ''GIVE HIM A CHANCE '', ''HE WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR''
''He saved us from the drop in 2016 / 17 season and had a few cup runs and made us some money''

By the way the pitch is still crap at RP because the WRU havent replaced it since the dark old days of the pandemic of 2020.They just bought a bag of hard wearing grass seed that they planted in June in hope that wold solve the problem

By the way Ellison is still playing
Why do you mention 2016/17 but don't mention the play off final 2 years later and being top of the league this season?