Re: Flynn's new contract

Percy plunkett wrote:We are currently commemorating 40 years since little Newport reached the Q/F of the European Cup Winners.Len Ashurst was sacked less than a year after that so his credit ran out quickly.Wasting £140k on two players and poor form did it for him,no loyalty for giving the club their greatest achievement,no job for life.The BOD had to think with their heads not their hearts.
I don't agree. Whilst I think Michael Flynn should be told that unless performances rapidly improve I his contract won't be renewed, as of yet I am not convinced of the case for sacking him now.

Going back 40 years, of course Ashurst wanted to sign players and it's true some of his signings didn't work out. However the true villains were the then directors. Who should have said, you have the players you need. What Newport County need is a new stand. We need to think long term.

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Flynn has over a year to run on his current deal. There is no need to even think of starting negotiations. You wait and see how the rest of this season pans out and then discuss what conditions that aren't in the current contract, will be inserted into any contract from 2022 (if the BOD think MF deserves a new contract).

Personally I think MF should have targets for introduction of Academy players into the starting 11. I cannot believe in all the time MF has been Manager that no Academy product hasn't been better than some of the squad players he has brought in (at greater expense)...

At County's level not developing players that you can later sell is a vast untapped resource. And if MF's opinion on Academy players is true (the fact that he doesn't use them suggests they are producing substandard players) then why isn't the Academy set up completely changed?

For my money I wouldn't offer MF another contract however this season plays out. I would be looking to bring in another Manager who will bring through youngsters. And I would tell him that at the end of the season so he has the option to see out his contract or move on in the summer...

supporter wrote:Lol what a difference a week makes humble pie time for a few.
Humble Pie? If anything tonights performance illustrates exactly why Flynn shouldn't be offered a new contract. There was no attacking threat prior to the first goal, which was the result of a ridiculous challenge from the Bradford player. And the second goal was a more ridiculous decision to give away a penalty.

I would say that the win papers over the cracks but the deficencies of the County squad were only too plain to see and no amount of paper and paste will hide that...

Let’s face it,we were atrocious tonight,I still can’t believe we have won.The tactics were the same old routine,get little strikers on and hit it in the air to them.We showed some effort late on but,it was all rushed panic long balls.Another back pass should have cost us the game,we created as little on a bowling green as we do on our beach.

Nah , nonsense PP. They played the better football but it wasn’t like they had chance after chance and it was a siege on our goal because it wasn’t. We certainly weren’t atrocious.
Just enjoy the win for once ffs. We’ve won our last two games and you’ve pissed and moaned about both

wattsville_boy wrote:
supporter wrote:Lol what a difference a week makes humble pie time for a few.
Humble Pie? If anything tonights performance illustrates exactly why Flynn shouldn't be offered a new contract. There was no attacking threat prior to the first goal, which was the result of a ridiculous challenge from the Bradford player. And the second goal was a more ridiculous decision to give away a penalty.

I would say that the win papers over the cracks but the deficencies of the County squad were only too plain to see and no amount of paper and paste will hide that...
You're quite right, Supporter's comment is sanctimonious twaddle. However never underestimate the power of luck. Also and I say this in praise of Flynn and his team, they did stick to it when it would have been easy to crumble.

Exile 1976 wrote:Nah , nonsense PP. They played the better football but it wasn’t like they had chance after chance and it was a siege on our goal because it wasn’t. We certainly weren’t atrocious.
Just enjoy the win for once ffs. We’ve won our last two games and you’ve pissed and moaned about both
Pretty much agree with that.

Exile 1976 wrote:Nah , nonsense PP. They played the better football but it wasn’t like they had chance after chance and it was a siege on our goal because it wasn’t. We certainly weren’t atrocious.
Where did I moan about Colchester?.If it wasn’t atrocious then it certainly was lacking in tactical awareness and dross to watch,we were still passing sideways and backwards.We still bring everyone back for corners,Townsend caught the corner and was ready to kick but,there was no one there,how daft is that.

Just ordered a pallet full of humble pie for the people who just won't give credit where its due.

Bradford did very little and we gifted them the goal. I must be watching a different game because we controlled possession and didn't look like conceding, very similar to the first half of the season.

A lot of sides have not been brilliant against us and when that happens they're worldbeaters but when we control a game it's still not enough. We weren't lucky yesterday there was nothing lucky about Dolans free kick and it was a definite penalty cooly finished.

Stan I'm slicing the pies up but I'm sending you a whole one across the Irish Sea hope you enjoy it.

supporter wrote:6th in the league games in hand sack the manager lol, stick to championship manager Corky.

Hope your home schooling has gone well and your uniform still fits for your return to school in the next few weeks.
Let us grown ups debate like adults, let the children stick to being childish.

All credit to MF and the team for the results but they still paper over the cracks.
Colchester are a bad side and Bradford snatched defeat from the Jaws of victory.
We won last night through them imploding, our team spirit and work rate... The last two, I have never doubted and always said MF is a good man manager, not a good tactician, We won but it wasn't down to us creating too many chances to beat them.
I fact we tried to give them at least two goal head start by players looking to pass the ball back to our keeper. Sheehan **** up was saved, Farq's led to their goal... Its not once or twice, its almost every game it happens and he needs to get them to stop doing it