Re: Starting today.

Could really have done with 3 points tonight. Ah well. County actual P9, W4, D2, L3, Gd3, Pts 14.

UTP 12
Mad norm 10
Pembs 10
Papski 9
Special Branch 9
Old Cromwellian 9
Butlins 9
Steve 7
Daftas 6
Worksop Amber 6
Exile 6
Mr Figo 6
Low and hard 6
Portskewett 5
Stan 5
PiN 4
Sully 4
Flat 4 - 4
Reebok 2
Neil C 0
Llanwern Exile 0
King of Gwent 0

Next up - Cambridge home, Saturday 12.30 early kick off.

Good Morning

Mike, I have just re-read Stans original set up statement for this prediction league.
He says I can get every prediction wrong and still win if my predictions, and therefore points predicted, match County’s.
So if I predict a County win I should get three points regardless of the actual result?
If I always predict wins and County always lose I will be miles off. If I’m correct then as soon as my predicted points tally slips behind the actual County points tally I just predict wins to gain three points to catch up. That seems a strange idea but maybe in keeping with the creator!
This doesn’t seem the way it’s being done though!

I’m just trying to find a way to be competitive!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning

Mike, I have just re-read Stans original set up statement for this prediction league.
He says I can get every prediction wrong and still win if my predictions, and therefore points predicted, match County’s.
So if I predict a County win I should get three points regardless of the actual result?
If I always predict wins and County always lose I will be miles off. If I’m correct then as soon as my predicted points tally slips behind the actual County points tally I just predict wins to gain three points to catch up. That seems a strange idea but maybe in keeping with the creator!
This doesn’t seem the way it’s being done though!

I’m just trying to find a way to be competitive!

Phil in Northampton
I appreciate the comments Phil, and as I have stated I am not quite sure I am doing it right, just trying to do it as I see it. Someone else has also commented that I may not be doing it the way Stan intended. To clear matters up, my understanding is:

Predict County win, - County win, 3 points
Predict County win, - County draw, lose, 0 points

Predict County draw, - County draw, 1 point
Predict County draw, - County win, lose, 0 points

Predict County lose, - County win, draw 0 points
Predict County lose, - County lose, 3 points

I may be wrong but I think this is what Stan intended, i.e. attempting to mirror the points actually accrued by the County. What I have never understood before I started doing this is how Stan managed to give 1 point when at that stage there had been no draws. I don’t get that at all.

You are correct when you state that if you predict a win and County win, you get 3 points, this is regardless of what win result you went for. That only comes into play at the end of the season if goal difference is required.

If anyone else could come and give some input and insight to this dilemma I have, it would be appreciated. I want to get it right in the way Stan started it, but knowing the rules is paramount if we are going to do it right. It’s only a bit of fun, but (myself included), people do take it seriously and quite rightly so.

Good Morning Mike

Thanks for your polite reply! Of course none of it really matters that much, we know that!
But it gives us a bizarre pedantic pleasure to discuss such idiosyncrasies as “Stans rules”!
In any case we may all have been fooled by Stan and his prediction competition, might have just been a wind up!
Whatever the case, as always, appreciated that you took over the reins of a seemingly untameable creature!

Maybe you could publish two league tables, what Stan meant and what Stan actually wrote, I’m sure Stan would appreciate his writings to be taken exactly as written and not some close approximation that fits in with logic!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning Mike

Thanks for your polite reply! Of course none of it really matters that much, we know that!
But it gives us a bizarre pedantic pleasure to discuss such idiosyncrasies as “Stans rules”!
In any case we may all have been fooled by Stan and his prediction competition, might have just been a wind up!
Whatever the case, as always, appreciated that you took over the reins of a seemingly untameable creature!

Maybe you could publish two league tables, what Stan meant and what Stan actually wrote, I’m sure Stan would appreciate his writings to be taken exactly as written and not some close approximation that fits in with logic!

Phil in Northampton
Morning Phil,

I am delighted that people take the trouble to give some input to my problem. Thanks for that.

However, the problem with issuing two tables is this:
I have read and re- read Stan initial post and to be honest, I do not fully understand it. How on earth did he give someone 1 point when no draw had been available at that time. Where did the one point come from?

Also, if you predict a County loss, and we lose, you get the right result and the three points. However, if County had a miserable run and you predict losses, you would win the league table with losing points. The only way I can get my head around this is that Stan has said that the eventual winner will be the person who is nearest to Count actual points. So, in this scenario, over say 15 games, because County lose a lot of games, you may get 30 points in your league table but you would not necessarily win because the County only got, say, 9 points. The winner in this scenario would be the person closer to 9 points, not the league table winner.

I just hope people don’t get too peeved at the person temporarily running the league not being in full understanding of the rules. I’ll keep plodding along :grin: Hope people are enjoying it because I am, but I am a sad git regarding league tables and stats etc. Love ‘em, Stan’ rules excepted :cheers:

I thought Stan meant that if you correctly predict the same overall result (win, lose or draw) as County you get the same points as County get.

So, if County win 1-0 and you predicted a win (whatever the score you said it would be) you get 3 points.

If they drew and you predicted a draw (whatever the score you said it would be) you would get 1 point.

If they lost and you predicted a loss (whatever the score you said it would be) you would still get no points. Thereby there is no real point in predicting a loss as you won't get any points anyway.

Whatever points County get in the timeframe from when this began to when the season ends is the best score - whoever gets nearest this is the winner.