Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Bradford City

lowandhard wrote:Interesting matter is at the point Dolan took the penalty kick, their keeper was well off his line. Now I wonder if Dolan had missed would the referee have ordered a retake? Somehow I doubt it.
If you look mate, you will see that Labs was encroaching when the kick was taken. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. :cheers: One thing is certain - VAR would have disallowed it. TF we don’t have it!

pembsexile wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Interesting matter is at the point Dolan took the penalty kick, their keeper was well off his line. Now I wonder if Dolan had missed would the referee have ordered a retake? Somehow I doubt it.
If you look mate, you will see that Labs was encroaching when the kick was taken. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. :cheers: One thing is certain - VAR would have disallowed it. TF we don’t have it!
Encroachment only comes into play if the player encroaching is involved in a goal

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Whilst PF didn’t have the best of games I’d still start him over Longe King. People will chuckle at this tonight and I’d understand but I think his distribution is much better.
Yes if you’re a Bradford or Tranmere player. Seriously needs to be dropped, if only for his fragile confidence. Imagine a similar mistake on Saturday & he’ll get hammered on social media. Like others, I thought Lewis was good, but he had to keep turning back into his right. When Haynes is fit, Lewis should have a few games at RWB in place of Shep.

Considering a lot of our fans saying we 'got out of jail'.. 'it was a robbery' .. 'they hammered us' etc etc the only two decent chances Bradford had were from our mistakes.
Bradford imploded because we upped the tempo after the goal and pushed for the winner and they simply couldn't cope, plus we were denied an absolute blatant penalty. More possession, more shots,3pts. Lovely

excessbee wrote:And having VAR would certainly have resulted in a penalty for the shirt pulling on Labadie. Much more obvious than the one which was actually awarded.
Couldn't believe the linesman didn't flag for that as it was so obvious. Too scared to make decisions!

My reflections are it wasn't a bad performance. First half was pretty even - we passed it around ok but didn't really do enough to open them up at all and that left Maynard and Podge feeding off scraps. I think the criticism of Maynard is a touch harsh - the service was poor and I did think he dropped into the hole and linked up with labs quite well at times. Thought Lewis was excellent - he's a better defender than Haynes but obviously having to turn onto his right foot gives the defence a little bit more time to get into position so we lost a few opportunities to whip an early cross in.

Second half they looked much more likely to score than us. I don't know what changed as I couldn't see a goal coming at all but somehow we really turned the screw from just before our first goal.

I noticed Priestley's ball control was not quite as good. He's a good defender in the air and strong too but on a decent surface you then realise he still needs to improve on the ball. However, he kept going after his mistake and didn't hide - I still think he will be an asset long term.

Delighted with the result (I never feel like Dolan is going to miss from the spot). Even if we only played really well for 20 minutes I'm hoping the result will continue to boost confidence!

Dogger wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:Whilst PF didn’t have the best of games I’d still start him over Longe King. People will chuckle at this tonight and I’d understand but I think his distribution is much better.
Yes if you’re a Bradford or Tranmere player. Seriously needs to be dropped, if only for his fragile confidence. Imagine a similar mistake on Saturday & he’ll get hammered on social media. Like others, I thought Lewis was good, but he had to keep turning back into his right. When Haynes is fit, Lewis should have a few games at RWB in place of Shep.
I don’t suspect hel be worried about getting hammered on social media lol .....
Imo he’s the better option we have ..... I never slate county players, but think the way we are trying to play and distribution, is better when he plays, than when Longe King plays ? Headers go forward and passes (most of the time) go to feet, mistakes will happen as he’s a young kid coming up the pyramid, but I like him. I do agree his confidence looked shot towards the end but the win will pick him up and the squads/managements job will be to gee him up again. Tranmere and Bradford were difficult opponents, and I thought he was superb Saturday.

Couldn't believe in the post match interview that Flynny said we were the better team in the 1st half.He really needs to take those amber coloured glasses off. Great that we had the free kick and penalty because we created nothing but a few scraps in open play.
Always grateful for a win though because hopefully it will breed some confidence. I like many others on here still think Sheehan needs to be playing in a more forward role. Many will disagree with me but I think Taylor is a much better option up front than Maynard who to me has been a great disappointment. Tough game Saturday but no reason why we can't come away with a point UTP.

rodneyboy wrote:Couldn't believe in the post match interview that Flynny said we were the better team in the 1st half.He really needs to take those amber coloured glasses off. Great that we had the free kick and penalty because we created nothing but a few scraps in open play.
Always grateful for a win though because hopefully it will breed some confidence. I like many others on here still think Sheehan needs to be playing in a more forward role. Many will disagree with me but I think Taylor is a much better option up front than Maynard who to me has been a great disappointment. Tough game Saturday but no reason why we can't come away with a point UTP.
Personally I thought we was the better side first half

George Street-Bridge wrote:I thought the teams pretty much cancelled each other out in the first half, but I would still have taken a draw at HT because they looked physically more powerful. Definite promotion contenders despite us beating them twice.
Agree with this. First half was 50/50 I'd say. We passed it better but never troubled their defence. They had one decent chance but apart from that nothing. I'd have taken a draw the way other results were going so a win was a Brucie Bonus!