Re: No Loan Players in Starting X1

Percy plunkett wrote:I don’t mind loan players playing but,Flynny floods the squad with them.Twelve this season,ridiculous amount,I would say limit it to three,four absolute max.
But that means we have to have more contracted players in the squad to have sufficient quality to cover injuries, suspensions, etc. We have seen over several seasons that some players who have signed contracts with us are not up to standard. Subsequently, are hard to get off the books.

Beechwood Boy wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:I don’t mind loan players playing but,Flynny floods the squad with them.Twelve this season,ridiculous amount,I would say limit it to three,four absolute max.
But that means we have to have more contracted players in the squad to have sufficient quality to cover injuries, suspensions, etc. We have seen over several seasons that some players who have signed contracts with us are not up to standard. Subsequently, are hard to get off the books.
I know I bang on about the Academy but surely that is what Flynn should be trying to do - get more Academy players into the match day squad and playing them occasionally. Less loanees and more of County's own kids. You'll never know if they've got it if you never give them a chance...

Beechwood Boy wrote:
Then it’s up to Flynny to do his homework and make sure his signings are up to scratch.He says he vets players to make sure they are right for the team,he now has to prove it with players who can challenge for a start and not squad fillers.

You are correct Wattsville,we actually have the talent in the academy,Woodiwiss,Twamley for certain,Livermore looked good in his one appearance,Sonny Lewis for a 15 year old was pretty good and possibly Ryan-Phillips if nurtured could all could come through.They won’t be like the MU five obviously but,all have potential and we should tap that potential and not waste it.

I agree Wattsville, use academy players, banging on is not what I would call it, airing your opiions as a supporter is welcome. Unfortunately we have a manager who uses players not wanted by their parent clubs some at a cost 2k plus per week. I have my views on Mr Flynn which I have aired in previous posts, that still remains.
Exeter Citys BOD and management have done very well is securing a stable position for their club by developing and selling young players, we should do the same. Cut out numerous loan signings, restrict it to 2 or 3 reducing the clubs wage bill. We need a permanent home, promotion could come later, save money for the future or emergencies.

Interesting varying views and debates around use of and numbers of loan players.
Cannot personally take a hard and fast view on the subject without having far more information on the subject.
Given we need x amount of players in a squad to complete a season. How many is another debate; and there is a finite amount of budget to achieve that aim, who can say with any certainty whether loan players are cheaper than permanent contract players, as it seems to me that every loan signing is different in relation to what percentage of that players wages we pay?
If on average loan players are cheaper than permanent contracts, does that enable us to have a larger squad to guard against a spate of injuries/ suspensions?
I would love to see far more academy players progress/ given opportunities to the 1st team, and/or make a profit from selling on some of those players, and note what has been said about Exeter in relation to this, but isn't this based on a massive assumption that every club has within it's catchment area players of sufficient quality? After all, if that is the case why isn't every club in Leagues 1 & 2 doing so?

Hopefully there are posters who are able to answer my questions