Bennett and Sheehan

My opinion is,Benno is a CB or DM player.He came to the club as a CB,Flynny converted him to a DM player.That’s what he is good at,defending,tackling and stopping the opponents from playing.He is perfect for the current system,sit in midfield and when Matty goes on a run,just slot in as cover behind him.For some bizarre reason,Flynny is playing him as the most attacking midfielder,he is too slow in thought and execution to create anything there,he hasn’t got the skill to thread a ball through for a striker,moves break down because of his failings so,why is Flynny doing it.
Josh is a skilful player with great awareness to thread a pass through to the strikers,the few occasions that he gets forward something happens.Once at Colchester he got into their box and created a goal.Bradford,he ran at them and forced a foul which resulted in a goal.Morecambe,he gets in the box and scores but,for some bizarre reason,Flynny plays him mostly as the last deepest midfielder.Every game it’s heart in mouth time as his lack of defensive awareness nearly costs a goal.A loose pass,a underhit back pass to Townsend or one of those pirouettes near our own box.Why is Flynny doing it.
We are still 4th in the league so it must be working but,we could have been higher if these two played all game in their proper positions.Any thoughts?.

Re: Bennett and Sheehan

Personally, I think playing Sheehan deeper has worked well, even if at first glance it seems counter-intuitive. From that deeper role, he gets a bit more time on the ball to pick out a good pass, and is often under less physical pressure than he would be higher up the pitch - important for a player who isn't the biggest. I'd suggest that it's no accident he's had international call-ups since occupying that role, despite playing in Div 4!

I guess the necessary corollary to that is that Bennett plays higher up to take the heat off Sheehan - again, this may seem counter-intuitive, but with Sheehan our main (sometimes only) creative outlet, he has to be protected at all costs, which Labadie and Bennett do well.