Re: JOE LEDLEY JOINS

Castle Exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Telford has 1 goal in 11 games for us (scored on our shitty pitch) but also only managed 2 in 24 for Plymouth this season (only 1 on their bowling green type pitch) so not quite sure if he's that great even on a decent surface.
I'd be more tempted to look at minutes played before writing him off, most of his appearances for Plymouth were coming on for the last 5 minutes or playing with the youth team in the Checkertrade. Same could be said here, hardly any full games. I'd prefer to judge him when he's had a full pre season.

I haven't written him off. I'm just not sure whether, from what I have seen of him so far, he is the guy that's going to score a tump of goals. The fact he hasn't been able to secure regular starts with Plymouth and now us suggests he's not really showing it in training either especially when none of our other strikers are firing on all cylinders. That said, I really hope he bangs loads of goals in for us

neilcork68 wrote:IMO No, losing him hasn't hurt the side but who knows if he could have been a better player / scored more goals if he had been given better service ???
Amond scored goals when he got service, this year he is struggling with none
Replacing them with Maynard or Telford because of the lack of service they get hasn't helped either. Address the problem of lack of service, not replace failing players without sorting it would be better , wouldn't it ? .
Yes.

The reason I queried your opinion of Abrahams is that you periodically use his having been loaned out as a reason to bash Flynn, which puzzles me given Flynn's more pressing shortcomings re: lack of a playmaker, plus of course his apparent neglect of youth.

Back on topic (sorry all) I'd never considered Ledley as a playmaker but I'm often wrong :)

Ugo. wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:He probably isn’t coming cheap,Greengrass was left out of Tuesday’s squad,is he going back to cover the cost.No inside information here,just a guess.

Not a very good guess, as you can't send a loanee back
Webb was a season long loan,so was Maloney last season,and Cooper the season before that and Cole the year previous.

Percy plunkett wrote:
JonD wrote:Who's Greengrass?
Bill Maynard in Heartbeat.
Cheers. Lordy, that was a big whoosh. I presumed it was Maynard as he was omitted but so were several other "lesser" players.

Was Maynard also Selwyn Froggatt? If so I might've got there via that route.

JonD wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
JonD wrote:Who's Greengrass?
Bill Maynard in Heartbeat.
Cheers. Lordy, that was a big whoosh. I presumed it was Maynard as he was omitted but so were several other "lesser" players.

Was Maynard also Selwyn Froggatt? If so I might've got there via that route.
Of course,the hapless Selwyn.That sums up most of Nicky’s performances,hapless.

Getting back on thread,three years ago,this signing would have been impossible.Ledley was still an influential Championship player,unfortunately,he got injured and since then has not been good.2018/19,just 4 games for Derby,they pay him off,then just one 45 minute appearance for Charlton who don’t offer him a contract.Then a move to Oz but,only 6 games there.This season,no appearances anywhere.His signing has sparked interest with the sponsors rushing to get involved.It will lift the players with him around but,let’s not expect too much from him.If he was fit,he would be playing for Cardiff or Swansea.I hope he can turn back the clock but.......

Percy plunkett wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:He probably isn’t coming cheap,Greengrass was left out of Tuesday’s squad,is he going back to cover the cost.No inside information here,just a guess.

Webb was a season long loan,so was Maloney last season,and Cooper the season before that and Cole the year previous.

Yes and they all went back in January as the rules allow. 6 months loan minimum and 12 month loans can be reviewed in the January transfer window not before

Yet another expensive gamble, MF and the BOD sure like spending, fingers crossed it pay`s off.
Willthiswork wrote:https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... ns-exiles/

Newport County AFC have completed the signing of Wales international Joe Ledley until the end of the season, subject to international clearance.

The midfielder, who will wear the number 34 jersey during his time with the Exiles, has penned a deal for the remainder of the 2020-21 Sky Bet League Two campaign and brings a wealth of experience to Rodney Parade having racked up more than 500 career appearances.

Joe has the Players Speak well rehearsed,"I had other offers but chose Newport".How many times have we heard that one,he has been a free agent for months yet suddenly,there are clubs in a queue for him.Or,they offered him a deal months ago but,he turned it down hoping little Newport would come in for him.Anyway,let's hope he does it on the pitch.

Percy plunkett wrote:Joe has the Players Speak well rehearsed,"I had other offers but chose Newport".How many times have we heard that one,he has been a free agent for months yet suddenly,there are clubs in a queue for him.Or,they offered him a deal months ago but,he turned it down hoping little Newport would come in for him.Anyway,let's hope he does it on the pitch.
Joe has done well to get a final pay day off our back - throwing money at players past their best Crofts, Maynard, Ellison (like the fella though) Ledley is not a good strategy in my view. I dread to think of the cash we are burning can only spend the cup money once!

Ugo. wrote:

I thought that Greengrass had been dropped and put two and two together and made five.I just heard that he missed Tuesday because he had a strain from picking up his wage packet.You are right,he is staying.