JOE LEDLEY JOINS

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... ns-exiles/

Newport County AFC have completed the signing of Wales international Joe Ledley until the end of the season, subject to international clearance.

The midfielder, who will wear the number 34 jersey during his time with the Exiles, has penned a deal for the remainder of the 2020-21 Sky Bet League Two campaign and brings a wealth of experience to Rodney Parade having racked up more than 500 career appearances.

Re: JOE LEDLEY JOINS

Exile 1976 wrote:As long as he's fit he should do a good job for us.
Frankly, even if we can only use him as an impact sub, it's huge. Our lack of midfield depth when we're behind in games has been a consistent issue, so having someone who can come on and give us a boost is most welcome.

Could be a decent option across a few positions. Hasn't had game time since August so probably not going to see him starting until late in the season, unless he's been training with us as a free agent?

Credit to the manager and the board for continuing to look for additions late into the season. It might not, but it could make all the difference.

landinho wrote:Could be a decent option across a few positions. Hasn't had game time since August so probably not going to see him starting until late in the season, unless he's been training with us as a free agent?
Been at Bristol Rovers...
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... oe-5077839

Assuming he's not ready for Saturday, he'll have two full weeks of training before the Barrow match thanks to the international break. I reckon he'll be a starter then. No point bringing him in with 11 games to go if he's not going to play.

Jonesy3 wrote:
landinho wrote:Could be a decent option across a few positions. Hasn't had game time since August so probably not going to see him starting until late in the season, unless he's been training with us as a free agent?

Assuming he's not ready for Saturday, he'll have two full weeks of training before the Barrow match thanks to the international break. I reckon he'll be a starter then. No point bringing him in with 11 games to go if he's not going to play.
Let’s hope Flynn knows better than Barton - the board have and are backing Flynn he has potentially made a costly mistake with Maynard who also probably needs a pre season, Telford also looking poor - let’s hope he is not wasting more of our money.

Positives and Negatives about this thay only hindsight will tell us

Poitives
Good player upto two years ago... Hardly played since... Why?
Could be a good influence and good experience in the dressing room......

Negatives
Training most recently at Bristol Rovers.... Why didn't he get a contract there? ....
Being fit and match fit are totally different - how many weeks will he take to reach match fitness?...

Not sure which
Are his legs still OK?
What's it costing....... Will it be worth it ?
Get a shave yer scruffy git

County ranger wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:

Let’s hope Flynn knows better than Barton - the board have and are backing Flynn he has potentially made a costly mistake with Maynard who also probably needs a pre season, Telford also looking poor - let’s hope he is not wasting more of our money.
Think Ledley & Barton have some personal history (who hasn't with Barton?) - so that's more likely the story there once Barton was appointed.
Agree that Maynard has not looked good but he'd made 17 appearances for Mansfield this season before joining us so can hardly be in need of a pre-season. Likewise, Telford played 16 times for Plymouth this season.

He played 60 mins in a development game for Rovers v Bournemouth t'other day so perhaps he could nick a spot on the bench this weekend? He then has a couple of weeks to build up fitness before the next game.
Personally I'm very happy with this signing. Will it work out for us? I don't know, but I don't think it's a deal we should have passed up and is worth the 'risk'