Re: JOE LEDLEY JOINS

Read the Mansfield forum re Maynard, not many upset that they got rid of him and his wages.
Telford's game needs service, he needs to be a regular in the side and play on decent surfaces... Has he had any of these since joining.
RP pitch, MF mix and matching the strikers and our service to the strikers has been poor /one dimension.. Your 5ft 8 trying to win the ball played long against a 6ft 3 in defender... Only going to be one winner or your in and out of the side.. Hardly surprising he hasn't played well.

If he's been training with Rovers then that's a real positive for us. I somehow think he was probably looking to keep a similar wage. Rovers are clearly on a budget and must have considered him poor value for L1.

Seems JL had no other options so took a pay cut to join us. For him, he either ends up in L1 with us or hopes for a L1 deal somewhere else in August. Win win for both sides imo.

Very good player and well worth the gamble, not sure how fit he is but can see him playing a key role in the push for promotion.

Midfield is the area we struggle and a player of his quality will give the team a lift

If he can inspire the team to promotion then the wages are neither here or there

Welcome Joe, and get us out of this league!

Exile 1976 wrote:He played 60 mins in a development game for Rovers v Bournemouth t'other day so perhaps he could nick a spot on the bench this weekend? He then has a couple of weeks to build up fitness before the next game.
Personally I'm very happy with this signing. Will it work out for us? I don't know, but I don't think it's a deal we should have passed up and is worth the 'risk'

Quote from Barton "He did great in the game. He came through the game and ticked all the boxes, but in terms of impacting our first team on a Saturday and maybe a Tuesday, I think he needs another three or four weeks of training and we just don’t have that luxury at this moment."

That was reported 2 weeks ago tomorrow so hopefully he has had 2 weeks training with us and we can get a half out of him this weekend before he gets another 2 weeks in.

Exile 1976 wrote:Telford has 1 goal in 11 games for us (scored on our shitty pitch) but also only managed 2 in 24 for Plymouth this season (only 1 on their bowling green type pitch) so not quite sure if he's that great even on a decent surface.

He has never been a prolific striker throughout his career and most of his games with us he has been a sub or subbed off by MF.Has he played a full 90 mins for us yet. ?
So are you saying, the two strikers MF signed to "boost" our promotion bid with 34 appearances for other sides this year and 5 goals between them are a waste of time or going to help our challenge?? He got rid of our top scorer to help fund their wages.. Are they an improvement?

neilcork68 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Telford has 1 goal in 11 games for us (scored on our shitty pitch) but also only managed 2 in 24 for Plymouth this season (only 1 on their bowling green type pitch) so not quite sure if he's that great even on a decent surface.

He has never been a prolific striker throughout his career and most of his games with us he has been a sub or subbed off by MF.Has he played a full 90 mins for us yet. ?
So are you saying, the two strikers MF signed to "boost" our promotion bid with 34 appearances for other sides this year and 5 goals between them are a waste of time or going to help our challenge?? He got rid of our top scorer to help fund their wages.. Are they an improvement?

I think the signing of Maynard was, on paper, a good signing for us despite only having scored 4 in 20 for Mansfield this season (all 4 goals coming in his last 11 apps). It hasn't worked out so far. That said, despite Abrahams being our top scorer the vast majority of our fans judging by the comments about him on here, FB County Chat, Twitter etc were glad to see him go.

To be honest mate, I don't think Flynny can do any good in your eyes and you ALWAYS only look to pick up the negatives about him and the team. This despite after 35 games we are just 5 points off top spot which is way beyond your pre season expectations.

Could work out, his experience must be of a benefit.
I would like to see a 4-2-3-1 formation with proper full backs, we do have some, 2 defensive midfielers offering the back 4 a link in play, the 3 should be very mobile looking for space and not afraid to shoot, the 1 up front a Taylor type who can hold and lay off to supporting players. Maybe Dolan and Ledley could be the 2 as they can both pass a ball----Opinion.

Exile 1976 wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

I think the signing of Maynard was, on paper, a good signing for us despite only having scored 4 in 20 for Mansfield this season (all 4 goals coming in his last 11 apps). It hasn't worked out so far. That said, despite Abrahams being our top scorer the vast majority of our fans judging by the comments about him on here, FB County Chat, Twitter etc were glad to see him go.

To be honest mate, I don't think Flynny can do any good in your eyes and you ALWAYS only look to pick up the negatives about him and the team. This despite after 35 games we are just 5 points off top spot which is way beyond your pre season expectations.
No I just look at everything from both sides...positive and negative..
It may seem as though I am being negative but I question everything and dont just accept things because the manager has done it and ''I take his word or accept every signing , decision etc..''

As with this signing....It could be a positive and have a positive outcome or a complete waste of money...only time will tell, as with EVERY signing any manager makes..

Oh I wish I had the value of hindsight that some on here love to throw things back in your face because of it.
My prediction was made before the season started, signings were made, knowing how bad some sides would be etc
Mansfield struggling , Grimsby bottom of the league , the big boys in the league..( Bolton , Tranmere ,Salford ) asleep until Christmas...Cheltenham top ,who would have predicted that pre season ??