Money

Early days I know ( with Ledley) but is the money spent on Telford , Maynard and now Ledley's wages worth it given our performances ?
The football , even though we have had a few wins recently is piss poor , the tactics are dire and results are making wasting the money on their wages look a bad decision by the BOD

He will blame the ref , the wind blowing in the wrong direction , a pitch having grass on it etc but he will never blame himself for his failings. The wins recently papered over the cracks that MF has taken us as far as he can. Yes he has done great in the past but thats it...the past
Slag me off if you wish , bury your head in the sand , keep the faith etc but we aint going anywhere with MF in charge
I hope I am wrong but our promotion dream died today IMO.. We may still be in the play off spots by the end of the day but by Easter (I hope I am wrong ) we will be mid table

Re: Money

I still can't believe Ledley coming on and playing CB,bizarre doesn't do that decision justice.Ugo called it a disasterclass and who can argue,mind you,he's only had four years in the job and tactics weren't part of the coaching courses.

I with you Neil, Mr Flynn has wasted money. What's the point of signing loan player whose parent club are glad to get rid of. What's with Jack Evans a young man who may have a future, Ashley Baker who doesn't let us down, Lewis Collins who needs games to develop and the young lad who's scoring goals for fun in the academy. I can't imagine anyone wanting the director of football job while Flynn is here, Flynn has history with a previous academy manager for not giving youth a chance.

I fear the Board are either in awe of Flynn or desperate for him not to fail - maybe they hope for compensation from his next employer - looking increasingly unlikely.
It is very poor business to waste money on non playing players Evans and Baker - I don’t think Baker has ever let us down when played. I dread to think what Maynard and Ledley are costing us and Telford total waste.
This ridiculous spending is a negative from the cup runs - the money will be gone soon and without a backer we will be in relegation fights or non league remembering Flynn for spending all our money.
It would be a shame if after all he has achieved his legacy is our ruin - the director of football may exert some control we miss LL but with Flynn on the interview panel I am sure he go for someone he can manipulate.

Yes I have to fully agree with you Neil. The January signings were woeful apart from Lewis and maybe Evans who hasn't been given a chance. Tactics have been poor especially recently. The idea of throwing on all the strikers when we go behind just baffles me. I hope I'm proved wrong but we are nothing more than a mid to lower half team with his tactics.

I would hope the Director of Football role is one initiated by the BOD because they can see how Flynn's signings have been mainly miss after miss. It'll be interesting to see who gets the job when it's advertised. Flynn is likely to favour either someone he's played with or has worked under but County need to be looking for someone who has experience of lower league football and good contacts throughout football.

On the money front I'm not as worried going forward. No promotion is likely to see many of the bigger earners leaving the club. The DoF and Flynn will then have an opportunity to build a new squad, hopefully with the creativity County currently lack and the ability to grind results out playing on a bog of a pitch.

For me the biggest change County have to make is bringing through Academy players into the playing squad. I don't buy that none of the kids in recent years have been good enough, I just think that's an easy excuse for not giving them an opportunity and spending money on "journeyman" players instead. Give Flynn a quota of one player under 20 in each match day team (no point in making it in the squad because they'll remain an unused substitute) in any contract extension (if offered).

I’m prepared to see the pro’s & cons with Flynny’s transfers & the match yesterday. Firstly, Maynard, proven record at league 2 level. Not worked out due to zero service or a year too old, probably both. Telford, no proven scoring record. No reason to sign him other than Maynard’s strike partner at Bury. Scrimshaw, busy little player, like Telford too short for league 2. Gambin, started well, no idea why Flynny dropped him. Hartigan, good pedigree, simply hasn’t performed as hoped. Farquharson, others will disagree, but for me, other than his debut, has looked out of his depth. An accident that has happened. Lewis looks okay, but out of position. Ledley, signed a year too late, played at CB. **** knows why. Evans, who? Yesterday, no luck, played well 1st half, their player Cissé should have been sent off. Doesn’t forgive abysmal 2nd half. Verdict Flynny’s summer business A+, January business C-.

The proof is in the pudding, and we have consistently made progress under Mike Flynn.

Without knowing the specifics of how much we are spending, I don't see how we can conclude that his signings have been "miss after miss".

I'm as frustrated as anyone that we appear to be on the cusp of blowing the start we made, but I can't agree with too many of the statements in this thread.

Difficult to work out loans costs, players in there development maybe loaned for free, players looking to gain a transfer from the loan may be subject to an initial lump sum payment, others, the clubs usually share the players wages.
More interesting would be to analyse each loan signing as to how much time they spent on the pitch during their loan period, Lewis for example was seldom used, at the end of his loan he's signed on a permanent contract, strange.
The only two loans signing which were of benefit were Twine and Cooper, even then some of our results with them in the team were in my opinion lucky. How much money Flynn has wasted is unknown as yet, his loan signings are very poor and therefore he's lacking in judgement. A Director of Football overseeing transfers will only work if the manage/coach excepts the arrangement, my of Flynn is he will not, his ego will get in the way---opinion

ajs wrote:Difficult to work out loans costs, players in there development maybe loaned for free, players looking to gain a transfer from the loan may be subject to an initial lump sum payment, others, the clubs usually share the players wages.
More interesting would be to analyse each loan signing as to how much time they spent on the pitch during their loan period, Lewis for example was seldom used, at the end of his loan he's signed on a permanent contract, strange.
The only two loans signing which were of benefit were Twine and Cooper, even then some of our results with them in the team were in my opinion lucky. How much money Flynn has wasted is unknown as yet, his loan signings are very poor and therefore he's lacking in judgement. A Director of Football overseeing transfers will only work if the manage/coach excepts the arrangement, my of Flynn is he will not, his ego will get in the way---opinion

A director of football will be going for targets that Flynny himself will want to bring in and identifying to Flynny potential signings which will be down to Flynny if he wants to go for them.

wattsville_boy wrote:I would hope the Director of Football role is one initiated by the BOD because they can see how Flynn's signings have been mainly miss after miss. It'll be interesting to see who gets the job when it's advertised. Flynn is likely to favour either someone he's played with or has worked under but County need to be looking for someone who has experience of lower league football and good contacts throughout football.

On the money front I'm not as worried going forward. No promotion is likely to see many of the bigger earners leaving the club. The DoF and Flynn will then have an opportunity to build a new squad, hopefully with the creativity County currently lack and the ability to grind results out playing on a bog of a pitch.

For me the biggest change County have to make is bringing through Academy players into the playing squad. I don't buy that none of the kids in recent years have been good enough, I just think that's an easy excuse for not giving them an opportunity and spending money on "journeyman" players instead. Give Flynn a quota of one player under 20 in each match day team (no point in making it in the squad because they'll remain an unused substitute) in any contract extension (if offered).
Flynn can be criticised for signings but I am not sure criticism of bringing youth through is justified. What evidence is there that any of the academy players are any good at professional level. I cannot think of any academy player released who has made it - didn’t we also sell a couple who didn’t make it. Both Bristol with Lee Evans and Aaron Collins and Cardiff with Regan Poole made big academy mistakes that banked us £250k plus don’t think we have made any such mistakes?
Question should be asked not of Flynn but the academy management who have let him down with their selection and / or development of talent.

I'd be dead set against the likes of Twamley being shoved through the revolving door onto the pitch for a fruitless 45 minutes partnering whoever happens to be upfront that day before being rejected as "no good".

County ranger wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I would hope the Director of Football role is one initiated by the BOD because they can see how Flynn's signings have been mainly miss after miss. It'll be interesting to see who gets the job when it's advertised. Flynn is likely to favour either someone he's played with or has worked under but County need to be looking for someone who has experience of lower league football and good contacts throughout football.

Flynn can be criticised for signings but I am not sure criticism of bringing youth through is justified. What evidence is there that any of the academy players are any good at professional level. I cannot think of any academy player released who has made it - didn’t we also sell a couple who didn’t make it. Both Bristol with Lee Evans and Aaron Collins and Cardiff with Regan Poole made big academy mistakes that banked us £250k plus don’t think we have made any such mistakes?
Question should be asked not of Flynn but the academy management who have let him down with their selection and / or development of talent.
I understand your point about Academy players but if you're not going to give them any opportunity then they surely will never make it. The argument doesn't hold much water when Flynn is happy to take other teams U23 squad players and play them which suggests he doesn't necessarily have problems with youngsters per se, just with the youngsters in the County Academy or the Academy set-up itself.

What would be interesting is if Flynn were to move on (and he may feel if he can't get promotion with the team this season that he's come as far as he can with County) would the next Manager be looking to integrate some of the Academy players or not?